PDA

View Full Version : Best Western Park Place Inn

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I have seen a lot of posts regarding the Best Western Park Place Inn as being "the closest" to the actual entrance of DL. Since we are considering staying there next May or June (2007), due in part to the fact that the Monorail won't be in service (is that right?), I have a question. Is there a crosswalk for crossing the street directly from the Best Western, or do you have to walk down to the corner? Everyone talks about the convenience of it being across the street, but I'm wondering if that takes into account that you need to walk down the block and around. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but we have a few people in our party with orthopedic conditions, and every step does make a difference, lol. Thanks for any input, plus any info regarding the status of the Monorail in May or June 2007. :)

DangerMouse
05-30-2006, 06:38 AM
The BWPPI is literally steps from the cross walk to the main entrance. This map may help you.

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

bradk
05-30-2006, 06:39 AM
it literally is across the street from the pedestrian entrance. there is a marked walkway to cross harbor. i think the walkway is actually right in front of park vue inn, but park place inn is right next door, so it's negligible (and i think park place inn is a better place from reviews i've read).

there is a bit of walking from harbor to the actual park gates, but it's probably no more than a quarter of a mile at the most and it's probably about the same as going from a room at the DLH to the monorail.

ETA: This map, although a tad outdated, probably shows it better than the other one: http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

The old man
05-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Also note the distances are amplified in the above map. PPI is directly across a driveway from the yucky Capt. Kidd's. It is actually a shorter walk (from the lobby) than the Park Vue Inn. We always stay at the PPI.

David

DianeM
05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
At first I didn't understand this question, then I realized where the confusion is coming from. Crosswalks are usually at corners, but the one into Disneyland is in the middle of a very long street, not at the corner. And if you are worried about minimizing steps, you can't do better than BWPPI. There are no hotels closer to the park, including the "on property" hotels. The crosswalk is in front of a restarurant, which has a hotel behind it. The longest walk you'll experience is from your room to the street, which shouldn't be too bad. If you're worried, you may want to ask for a room close to the front. It will be less quiet, but closer.

Everyone talks about the convenience of it being across the street, but I'm wondering if that takes into account that you need to walk down the block and around. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but we have a few people in our party with orthopedic conditions, and every step does make a difference, lol. Thanks for any input, plus any info regarding the status of the Monorail in May or June 2007. :)

Schmetterling
05-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I stayed at the Park Vue Inn in 2001 and it is right on the crosswalk. All you do is walk STRAIGHT out and you will hit the cross walk. Its an AWESOME hotel, we had a really great experience there with 4 other girlfriends, and the heated pool was nice. We would be staying there again, but wanted to save money on our hotel. Hope that helps. It was the best place I personally have stayed in.....

bradk
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
to make a poor assumption, i think the major concern is that a lot of hotels make the claim that they are 'across the street' from disneyland as well as any other major attraction when they're (for example) across the street from Tower of Terror, but you still need to walk the length of DCA just to get to an entry point to walk even further. technically 'across the street' but not nearly as convenient as the description suggests.

the same way a lot of hotels use the 'maingate' descriptor in their name only to learn that they're miles away.

even funnier, there's a Royal Pacific (which has horrible reviews on tripadvisor) and a Portofino (which coincidentally claims it's across the disneyland resort as well). I can't help but wonder if these places were so-named to prey on the confused as these are the names of the luxury hotels at Universal Resort Orlando.

Schmetterling
05-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I know....I was getting frustrated with that exact thing when we were booking our hotel. Cuz I wanted to be able to walk. Just crossing my fingers that where we booked is close enough that walking is okay. But it can be frustrating...

dlandnut
05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments and suggestions.

What will be the status of the Monorail at that time?:)

disneyperson
05-30-2006, 09:03 AM
We'll be staying there in August. It's a very nice hotel and the location can't be beat.

bradk
05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
the monorail is expected to shut down completely later this year. i don't know if there's an expected return date, but i think you're making a wise decision not to bank on it being back in service by then.

if i'm not mistaken, they need to rebuild a new tomorrowland station.

CariBelle
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
I love when a hotel description includes the words "across the street!" or "main gate" and when I mapquest the location it's actually 3 miles away lol

kimmybear
05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
they say "it's across the street", but what they forget to add is "and another street and another street and another street..." :D

Schmetterling
05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
LOL...that cracks me up. I can totally relate! :D :D :D

Monte Cristo
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
My wife and I stayed at the BWPPI just this past May for the first time.

FANTASTIC HOTEL!

The location cannot be beat (other than staying at the Grand, obviously). The staff was very courteous, the room very clean, and the accomodations very nice. Fridge, microwave included so if you have a family and want to bring drinks/snacks, it will save you money. I cannot rave about the place enough.

vmjess
05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
We love the BWPPI. It is by far our favorite good neighbor hotel. The walking distance is really the shortest. We'll be staying there for our December trip.

wabby1
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Folks for the info. I'm dlandnut's brother, and we appreciate the information and maps, etc. From what I understand about the monorail being closed is the fact that while the "Finding Nemo" attraction is under construction, the park doesn't want people going into tomorrowland to look at the busy work in progress. Is this correct?

The old man
05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
My wife and I stayed at the BWPPI just this past May for the first time.

FANTASTIC HOTEL!

The location cannot be beat (other than staying at the Grand, obviously).
Actually I believe it's about 100 feet closer than the Cal Grand.
David

DianeM
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
No, it's more than that. The Finding Nemo has been under construction for a while, and you can see the activity from the platform for the monorail right now. But I believe I read that they are going to be re-designing the tomorrowland monorail station to accomodate the Nemo ride, so they have to completely close down the station for the construction.

Thanks, Folks for the info. I'm dlandnut's brother, and we appreciate the information and maps, etc. From what I understand about the monorail being closed is the fact that while the "Finding Nemo" attraction is under construction, the park doesn't want people going into tomorrowland to look at the busy work in progress. Is this correct?

mulansgirl
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Park Place Inn is great. It is the first hotel I ever stayed at by Disneyland and the location is truly across the street. We thought the price was great and we got a suite very nice. and Captain Kidds like others have mentioned is disgusting, we tried using our breakfast vouchers twice and will never eat there again not even for free. but maybe I am a food snob. Hotel is great though.

disneyhound
05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
We have stayed in 5 different hotels; BWPPI, Park Vue Inn, Carousel, Tropicanna and Ramada Maingate. The BWPPI and the Park Vue Inn are the closest off-property hotels! The crosswalk leads you to IHOP resturant, with the Park Vue Inn on your right, and the BWPPI on your left! The Tropicanna and the Carousel are further left of the BWPPI, and the Ramada is several hotels past the Park Vue on the right. They are all two-star places, but, location, location, location! It is real nice to be able to walk back for a mid-day break to you hotel, without any concerns about shuttles!

daisy4me
05-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Park Place Inn is great. It is the first hotel I ever stayed at by Disneyland and the location is truly across the street. We thought the price was great and we got a suite very nice. and Captain Kidds like others have mentioned is disgusting, we tried using our breakfast vouchers twice and will never eat there again not even for free. but maybe I am a food snob. Hotel is great though.
Your freaking me out right now. We leave in a couple of weeks and we were really planning on the breakfast to get us all going. VOUCHERS??? They said they have a continental breakfast. I assumed this restaurant would serve muffins, oj cereal. OK please let me know the scoop. There is 11 of us staying there and we have spent a pretty penny on this trip since we are best friends and have never vacationed together. We thought it would save us some money but if the breakfast is that bad please let me know. How do I find out what they serve? Any info would be great!! And I was really happy to see this post since I did not know anything about the rooms. Has anyone stayed in the suites? We have 3 suites and we are hoping they are next to each other and on the lower floors???

capst
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Don't worry about the food. I have stayed at the BWPPI 5 or 6 times. The breakfast voucher is good at Captain Kidd's next door. It is good for either a certain breakfast (I don't remember what) at the table service area downstairs, or the continental breakfast in the upstairs (self-service) room.

Continental consists of pastries, bagels, cereal, toast, fruit, coffee, juice and milk. It will get you started, it isn't the Ritz, it isn't disgusting as some have said.

capst

disneyhound
05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Most of the Hotels "across the street" offer a similar "continental breakfast". It is a freebie, so not much. If you are used to having someone drop grapes into your mouth for you, you will be disappointed in the limited spread that these 2 star hotels offer. If you object to toast, juice, bagels, coffee, apples, pastries, banannas, then skip the freebie. We did not find the continental breakfast "disgusting" at any of the hotels we have stayed at. We are not big breakfast eaters, juice and a bagel works for us; grab an apple and bananna for our backpack, and it's off to Disneyland!!!

hdlzx2
05-31-2006, 07:07 AM
We have stayed in 5 different hotels; BWPPI, Park Vue Inn, Carousel, Tropicanna and Ramada Maingate. The BWPPI and the Park Vue Inn are the closest off-property hotels! The crosswalk leads you to IHOP resturant, with the Park Vue Inn on your right, and the BWPPI on your left! The Tropicanna and the Carousel are further left of the BWPPI, and the Ramada is several hotels past the Park Vue on the right. They are all two-star places, but, location, location, location! It is real nice to be able to walk back for a mid-day break to you hotel, without any concerns about shuttles!

Do this for me... rate them? 1 being the best...