PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a Beach day?

TheYeti
05-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I promised my wife and 2 girls ages 3 and 8 that we would take a side trip on our next Disneyland trip to the beach. Can any of you from the area offer any suggestions as to which beach is family friendly and has either a nice pier or a boardwalk with some good eats? I am also looking for easy parking nearby. Thanks in advance….

Ragrobyn
05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Newport Beach was great when my kids were 5 and 3. Nice family atmosphere AND a Pier. Newport Beach is a nice little place too.

nightdesigns
05-29-2006, 12:10 PM
There's also Huntington Beach, which has a pier, shopping district, fun.

Both Huntington and Newport have Ruby's restaruant on the pier which is a treat.

momuvseven
05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
We tried this on our last trip in April and we drove through Newport Beach, Balboa and Laguna. It was much colder at the beach than it was in Anaheim. We never really had a beach experience since we didn't have coats to get out into the wind and cold. We had been in shorts and t-shirts all week in Anaheim. The beaches are easy and quick to find.

We are going this week and have planned a day in San Diego. Decided not to drive since we have heard it is awful coming and going on I-5. We are taking the Amtrak down to the DownTown Station in San Diego and then going on a Harbor Cruise. Train roundtrip for the day averaged $29 a person (kids are cheaper and we used triple AAA discount). I got a 50% off coupon for the two hour Harbor Cruise and that is $11 a person with kids under four free.

Hope you find a good place for the day.

disney jones
05-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Newport and Huntington are both great, its just a lot easier parking at Huntington, and its a closer to DLR.

Omnitographer
05-29-2006, 05:22 PM
i would suggest the tide pools, wherever they are (been a long time) but you shouldnt go because the tourist level is soo high its put the tide pool ecosystem in decline :(

rentayenta
05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Seal Beach and Belmont Shore are fun too. Near Belmont is a restaurant called Schooner or Later and it sits right on the water- really fun, good food, and they have a good kid's menu too.

Seal Beach has a fantastic seafoold restaurant called Walt's Wharf- again yummy eats and great atmosphere.

Balboa Island is a blast as well. You can take your car over on the ferry and play for the day. They have a boardwalk type area too.

Huntington Beach is my favorite of all. Great shops, nice pier, and an easy walk down to the water.

Schmetterling
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
How far is Huntington Beach from Disneyland?

TheYeti
05-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions this site is always the most helpful on any topic. I think there is something special about Disneyland fans.

By the way, the minute my wife heard Newport she started yelling like on the OC that is the place! So it looks like Newport won because of her guilty pleasure show. I will also take the advice and eat at Ruby’s.

Thanks again- Just 24 more days till we leave town! :cool:

MileHighAko
05-30-2006, 05:40 AM
+1 for Huntington Beach. Not a far drive, I don't remember how far, but we went there last year on Memorial day. Maybe a half hour drive if I remember. Was clean, convinient, and fun.