PDA

View Full Version : How preferred is preferred seating?

MileHighAko
05-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Part of our package we got from AAA came with tickets for preferred seating to several shows (Alladin, Muppets 3D, Tough to be a Bug, Golden). Anyone know how good this preferred seating is? Does it mean we don't have to line up as early? We leave for the airport in 2.5 hours. :D

bradk
05-29-2006, 04:59 AM
i don't know how any of those besides aladdin works. never used any of them, never had to. other than aladdin, all those shows run continuously, so you never have to wait more than 20 mins or so anyway.

aladdin lets you go and sit down inside a covered area before they actually seat for the show (where most people have to wait outside in a line before they're ready to seat).

i believe you get seated in the orchestra before the main crowd is let in. there might be a specific area they let you sit in, but i don't think so. myself, i've always opted to wait until they open the mezzanine line so i can be first in line. i have yet to see it from the first row of the last section of the orchestra (one of the recommended spots), but I do love the mezzanine.

bduff
05-29-2006, 06:03 AM
For Aladdin, you wait in a covered area, but you also stand while you're waiting. You do get admitted to the theater before the non-preferred seating crowd, and get to choose the seats you want. I'd say yes, it means you don't need to be in line as long, since everyone in the preferred seating queue got very good seats. They will still advise you even with PS for Aladdin to show up at least 30 minutes in advance, but that may be overly conservative.

For Muppets, they had the first 5 rows roped off and a cast member who only let PS into that section. You wait through the pre-show in the same place as everyone else, so the PS just gets you better seats, not a shorter wait time.

bradk
05-29-2006, 06:14 AM
other than the penguins though.. i've seen muppets from both the front and back and i really prefer 3d movies from towards the back.

Susan L
05-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Perferred seating at all the shows or restaurants means first come fiirst seated.

As for Aladdin you line up in back of the Hyperion towards the TOT. If you want a good seat for Aladdin get there early and I do mean early. This last visit of ours I staked out a spot on the street before they let you into the line up area. It was hour before show time and there were already at least 20 others waiting as well. The kids went off and rode TOT while I waited. Your perferred tickets will not even be looked at and you will be on the bottom level. Also the Mezzanine (not sure if thats the correct spelling) level has a different line. It starts in the front of the Hyperion right off the street. I'm not sure how you get to be in that line, if it cost extra or what. Check into it though because it would be the best seats if you can get them.

All I can say about Aladdin no matter what seats you have you will enjoy the show, its wonderful.

bradk
05-29-2006, 12:02 PM
there are 3 lines for standby: orchestra, mezzanine and and balcony. they open as needed (obviously with orchestra always opened). when orchestra is considered to be about half-full (or basically when the standby line almost reaches the line entry), they open the mezzanine line and so forth. there is no charge for any of the lines other than waiting around for a line to open (if it does - sometimes it helps to ask one of the CMs what the probability will be - but they also like to be non-commital).

because of certain elements in the show, there are two 'choice' areas to be seated. one is in the first row of the last section of the orchestra. the other is front row of the mezzanine.

MileHighAko
05-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Perferred seating at all the shows or restaurants means first come fiirst seated.

... Your perferred tickets will not even be looked at and you will be on the bottom level. ....
What does that mean, the perferred tickets will not even be looked at? Are you saying that if you line up way early it doesn't matter because you'll get good seats anyway, or are you saying that if we don't line up way early then the perferred tickets are moot?

Thanks!

We're here, by the way. Took less than an hour to drive from LAX to our hotel here at Disneyland. And yes, my wife is giving me the "eye" since I'm already using my laptop, but hey we don't start until tomorrow anyway.:eek:

bradk
05-29-2006, 05:52 PM
i think she means inside the theatre, there is no designated preferred spot.

you still are let in before the main crowd and you still only need to show up 30 mins or so before the performance (people can spend an hour or so standing in line).

bduff
05-30-2006, 07:43 AM
As for Aladdin you line up in back of the Hyperion towards the TOT.

There is a CM who is at the door of the covered area where those with PS wait. Because 95% of those attending are not PS, this CM routinely tells anyone approaching "go wait over there" pointing to the lines forming closer to the TOT. If you have PS, don't follow those orders! Pull out your PS tickets and show it to the CM, and they will admit you to the proper waiting area.

Susan L
05-30-2006, 11:48 AM
What does that mean, the perferred tickets will not even be looked at? Are you saying that if you line up way early it doesn't matter because you'll get good seats anyway, or are you saying that if we don't line up way early then the perferred tickets are moot?

Thanks!

We're here, by the way. Took less than an hour to drive from LAX to our hotel here at Disneyland. And yes, my wife is giving me the "eye" since I'm already using my laptop, but hey we don't start until tomorrow anyway.:eek:

What I mean is first come first seated so you better get there in line early. It doesn't matter if you have tickets or not. Get there early. The first time we had perferred seating tickets through AAA I showed them to the CM and he pointed to me where to go to get in line. By that time the area where you line up was half full and we got there 30 minutes before the show. No, we didn't get the best seats, and we got pushed out of the way going in from people behind us. It wasn't pleasant getting in. That's why we make sure we are in line 1 hour before now. Even though we did get great seats the show is still worth seeing.

The next few times I didn't even bother to bring the perferred seating tickets with us. Like I said we arrive an hour early. There may be a baracade between the street and the line up area. So when they removed the baracade you can be some of the first people in line.

tonytone
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I was able to take advantage of PS for the first time (AP Vacation Package through WDTC)...but there should be a footnote added to the "first come, first seated" PS setup for Aladdin--when we were there the CM had the PS folks initially line up right outside the covered entrance, then we were allowed entry into the PS holding queue...which unfortunately (IMHO) is set up in such a way that "first come, first seated" sorta gets thrown out the window since once in the holding area, there will bound to be some folks who manage to "squeeze" their way towards the front of the holding queue...all in the "name" of filling in all the space in the holding area so that all of the PS folks can be herded into the holding area. Oh yeah--disabled/wheelchair PS folks get first dibs before the rest of us PS folks; at least that's what I observed, as there was a separate PS "line" within the holding area that was occupied by wheelchair folks and their party...these folks were allowed into the theater before us. ;)

sierranevada
05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
We showed up one time with our PS coupons to Aladin about 20 minutes before the show and were told that PS was completely full and we would have to go to the regular line, so it does fill up!

The old man
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Even though we did get great seats the show is still worth seeing.

I'm afraid there's another sentence that doesn't make sense. Don't you mean, "Even though we didn't get great seats, the show is still worth seeing"?
David

MileHighAko
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
We did the PS thing at Aladin today (5/31) for the 2:00 PM show. "sierranevada" is right that the allocation for PS does fill up. We started lining up about 40 minutes before the show since there was already a large number of PS holders in the queue. We waited in an uncovered area with the sun beating down on us for 30 minutes. It was awful. It was hot, confusing, and not very fun to stand out there in the sun.

At about 8 minutes before 2 PM they let us into the theater. Walking to the doors of the theater we turned the corner to see where the normal waiting area is, which has a large amount of shade from trees and the stairs, and we felt betrayed. We were made to stand crowded in the hot sun with our PS tickets while everyone else was able to get some nice shade in a breezy area that was roomy compared to our cramped waiting area. They were also letting people into the mez and balcony areas. The PS area was only in the orchestra. We ended up having great seats, but I would have MUCH preferred to sit in the shade and get a nice seat up in the mez.

I will NOT do PS tickets for Aladin ever again.

JulieNMM
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm confused. Sorry.

>>We were made to stand crowded in the hot sun with our PS tickets while
>>everyone else was able to get some nice shade in a breezy area that was
>>roomy compared to our cramped waiting area.

Why didn't you go into the nice PS waiting area? Was it because you didn't know where it was or because the CMs wouldn't let you? Or some other reason? I will be going in July so would like to know.

Hope the rest of your trip is good!!!
JULIE

MileHighAko
05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm confused. Sorry.

>>We were made to stand crowded in the hot sun with our PS tickets while
>>everyone else was able to get some nice shade in a breezy area that was
>>roomy compared to our cramped waiting area.

Why didn't you go into the nice PS waiting area? Was it because you didn't know where it was or because the CMs wouldn't let you? Or some other reason? I will be going in July so would like to know.

Hope the rest of your trip is good!!!
JULIE
We WERE in the "nice" PS waiting area. It isn't nice. It is simply an area on west side of the buidling. No benches. No shade. Just a bunch of people crowded into a small area standing in the hot sun.

The regular folks, without PS tickets, got to wait on the south side of the building where there is shade from trees. In the end we were able to sit closer than them, but knowing now what I know, I would welcome seats 5 rows back in order to have a more enjoyable 35 minute wait in the shade instead of the sun.

Susan L
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm afraid there's another sentence that doesn't make sense. Don't you mean, "Even though we didn't get great seats, the show is still worth seeing"?
David

Yeah, its called a typo:D

JulieNMM
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Got it, now! Thanks for the explanation! I've seen the show many times and never had a great seat but always was able to see everything perfectly. (there are no bad seats, I guess is what I'm trying to say?).

Thanks for the info!
JULIE