PDA

View Full Version : Souvenirs Question

Pages : [1] 2

Wonderbyrd
05-27-2006, 08:44 PM
HI!. I am just wondering what are the cheapest souvenirs?? I have to get some for the people I work with (23) and I don't want to spend alot of money for it. Thanks

doombuggy driver
05-27-2006, 08:53 PM
You should try the Disney Character Warehouse. It is a few miles from DLR but a rather short trip down Harbour Blvd. They sell authentic merchandise from the park at much cheaper prices. We always stop here before going to DLR to get our souveniers!

mulansgirl
05-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I am fond of pressed pennies they only cost fifty-one cents and there is a huge variety to choose from. You can get a list of all the machines from almost any cast member at a cash register. Just ask them if it would be possiable to look at the Press-Penny list, when I asked they just gave the list to me to keep. This came in very handy as I was trying to find all 51 of the magical milestone pennys. :D

Schmetterling
05-27-2006, 09:06 PM
along those same lines, can someone tell me the prices for Splash mountain pictures? I really want to get ours, for a keepsake! Thanks!

simbaNnala101
05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I dont know how much splash mountain pics are but I always bring things back for the people that I work with and I usually bring them back pens that are like 2 or 3 dollars or really cheep key chains for like 3 dollars. However its always hard to really find "cheep" things in disneyland.

~Ash~

DianeM
05-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I buy a box or two of Disney candy and just share it around the office. It's a fun way of having a souvenir without spending a fortune. If you are particularly close to anybody, you can buy a more personal souvenire for them only.

HI!. I am just wondering what are the cheapest souvenirs?? I have to get some for the people I work with (23) and I don't want to spend alot of money for it. Thanks

DianeM
05-27-2006, 10:38 PM
You can also look at http://www.parkpennies.com for current penny availability and machine locations.

This came in very handy as I was trying to find all 51 of the magical milestone pennys. :D

DianeM
05-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I think they are around $20, or a bit more (I just remember being shocked how expensive it was). They have two sizes available. We got the big one and it was very worth it. It has more characters and is much prettier than the less expensive/smaller version. We got the photo when we went with my mother and nephew. All of us wore our blue 50th anniversary shirts, and we told them we were going for the photo, so they put us in the front of the boat. We had to ride twice to get the right photo, because my nephew wasn't visible in the first photo (on the second, we sat in order of height). We now have a beautiful photo of the 4 of us laughing as we slide down the fall. For that price, we just got one copy and photocopied it for each group of the family.

along those same lines, can someone tell me the prices for Splash mountain pictures? I really want to get ours, for a keepsake! Thanks!

biolabetty
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately we've had the experience of some other dumb person "flashing" something that shouldn't be seen. It was when we brought a family from Mississippi, it was their first and probably only trip, and they wouldn't go on it again because their daughter (who is slightly handicapped) became so frightened on it she tried to get out of the boat. They were so disappointed when they learned why their picture didn't show up. I don't know if they'll let you, but a boat by yourselves would make sure this doesn't happen to you.

Omnitographer
05-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Unfortunately we've had the experience of some other dumb person "flashing" something that shouldn't be seen. It was when we brought a family from Mississippi, it was their first and probably only trip, and they wouldn't go on it again because their daughter (who is slightly handicapped) became so frightened on it she tried to get out of the boat. They were so disappointed when they learned why their picture didn't show up. I don't know if they'll let you, but a boat by yourselves would make sure this doesn't happen to you.

I wonder why people even bother now. ever since they started screening all the images out with the computer, nothing shows up anyways.

SunRayz
05-28-2006, 11:15 AM
In regards to the Disney Character Warehouse, does the ART travel to and from this location?
Thanx:)

tink1234
05-28-2006, 08:05 PM
How about the Mickey Pretzels? They were less than $1 a bag. You could even bundle them with a single Mickey lollipop tied with a pretty ribbon.

bduff
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
You should try the Disney Character Warehouse. It is a few miles from DLR but a rather short trip down Harbour Blvd. They sell authentic merchandise from the park at much cheaper prices.

I'll offer a bit of a counterpoint here. We stopped at the Warehouse on our recent trip, and were underwhelmed. Yes, I suppose it is authentic merchandise, but it is all discontinuted items. I was thinking we could load up on autograph books, stuffies, etc., but they didn't have merchandise like that. Probably 75% (or more) of what they have is clothes. A fair amount of what they have is "stale" as well - has 2005 dates on it, etc. The OP asked about cheapest souveniers, so this Warehouse does fit the bill that way in one sense, but it isn't necessarily a good value.

CariBelle
05-28-2006, 10:06 PM
My favorite cheap souveniers:
- acrylic Disneyland keychain (available in a variety of characters) -last time I bought some they were 3 or 4 dollars I think
- ink pens - under 3 or 4 dollars
- split up a group of Mickey suckers with a Disney dollar and some Goofy Taffy and place in a Disney treat bag (puchased at Target lol)
- a box of chocolate covered coconut Mickey cookies- $5.99

UsBurchs
05-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm a BIG fan of the pressed penny idea - although, it does take a little bit of time. I'm a big collector - kind of a pressed penny fanatic. I carry an M&M's minis tube around with me all the time with quarters and shiny pennies in it, just in case I run into a machine! Ugh - am I pathetic or what? Anyway, a good site to find all the pressed penny machines (and pressed quarters and nickles) is www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx - go to the California section and you'll find Disneyland. This site tries to keep up with all the latest and greatest, has tips on pressing, etc. I thought I was pretty bad until I read this site - there are worse people than me out there when it comes to penny smashing! ;)

Anyway, its a fun, inexpensive souvenir. They even have nice little books to keep them in. I do that and pins and I'm a happy girl! :D

disneyochem
05-29-2006, 08:36 AM
I always bring back boxes of the chocolate covered coconut Mickeys to share with friends and workers! In fact, the ladies in my office say they only let me go on vacation because I bring back these treats to share! :)

We like to stay at the DLH, so I collect the Lost Bar Margarita plastic glasses every time I have a margarita. I gave a set of four (with a bottle of Silver Patron Tequila) to a friend of mine who is as big a disneyphile as I am! She absolutely loved them!

junglemom
05-29-2006, 08:37 AM
I always bring the mickey head suckers and the unicorn suckers back for kids I know. There are about 6 of them in a bunch/pack for only a couple bucks. For my other friends I have always brought them antenna toppers. I think those are $4.00.

kohl
05-29-2006, 08:53 AM
I'll offer a bit of a counterpoint here. We stopped at the Warehouse on our recent trip, and were underwhelmed. Yes, I suppose it is authentic merchandise, but it is all discontinuted items. I was thinking we could load up on autograph books, stuffies, etc., but they didn't have merchandise like that. Probably 75% (or more) of what they have is clothes. A fair amount of what they have is "stale" as well - has 2005 dates on it, etc. The OP asked about cheapest souveniers, so this Warehouse does fit the bill that way in one sense, but it isn't necessarily a good value.

We have been to the warehouse and not found much, but have been there when we have bought some great stuff! Once they had the flavored popcorn in the bags for $1 a bag. Also, a box of chocolates that I can't remember the price, but were REALLY cheap for the box and they were fresh. We thought they might be old if they were selling them there. Also, we have found some sweatshirts there that they were selling in the park at the same time!:eek:

disneyochem
05-29-2006, 09:56 AM
We have been to the warehouse and not found much, but have been there when we have bought some great stuff! Once they had the flavored popcorn in the bags for $1 a bag. Also, a box of chocolates that I can't remember the price, but were REALLY cheap for the box and they were fresh. We thought they might be old if they were selling them there. Also, we have found some sweatshirts there that they were selling in the park at the same time!:eek:

I agree! Sometimes it is hit and miss but I feel that it is always worth a stop to see if there is anything to buy. We have been a couple of times when it has been slim pickuns but we usally coordinate the Warehouse trip with a Target run or a meal outside of the parks so the trip is not a complete waste!

Family5LovesDisney
05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Cinderella glass slipper with candy necklace sealed inside .... $3.00
Little plastic box fully of gourmet jelly beans.....$4.50 (50th Anniversary logo on top of the box)
several different Disney themed Christmas ornaments.........prices starting as low as $12.
A HUGE selection of antenna decorations (new Pirates one plus holiday themes, a golden version) These were cheap. I think about $3.50 or $4.50 a pop. Lots of fun to use after you get home!

mulansgirl
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
UsBurchs oh you are not a freek just a disney fan, we are a special breed. I bring two rolls of brand new pennies just in case I see a child with a less than shinny penny and give them a new one, always brings a nice smile, especally if that will be their only souvenir.

I do think it is a great point to maybe spend a little more on one bigger gift they can all share than spend a little on a lot of gifts they really add up. And I do not know one person that would not appriciate food.

UsBurchs
05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Thank you, Mulansgirl. Can you pass that message on to my husband? ;)

I do agree with Mulansgirl - no one will complain about getting food. Well, they might say "oh! you are going to make me fat!" but it will be with a smile as they quickly and gladly accept your gift! Hee hee! I have done the box-of-chocolates-thing for the office before from other trips and it has been appreciated - although some people take more than their share. If this is a concern, you might want to get a little something for the special-special people in addition to the candy for the entire office to share.

I read once that the lanyards for fast passes are also good for name badges! So much more fun than the plain ones they hand out with your badge. :) Add a special Disneyland pin if you want and it makes a nice gift!

erinzgirl
05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
They also have shot glasses (I bought some for the 50th anniversary) for I think $6? And chocolate for the office is ALWAYS good :D

Wonderbyrd
06-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I think the penny one will be the best thing to get maybe alot with the suckers.. that way with the pennies I can get everyone something different

doombuggy driver
06-10-2006, 08:08 PM
In regards to the Disney Character Warehouse, does the ART travel to and from this location?
Thanx:)
I don't know. We always stop before going to the Hotel in our own car.
Sorry