PDA

View Full Version : Busy in August during the weekdays?

writerevie
05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello all, please don't kill me for asking a somewhat redundant question, I'm a new forum member.:)

I'll be going to Disneyland with my cousin and sister during the second week of August, from the 10-13, Thurs-Sunday. I know that weekends are crowded, and I am prepared for the crowds on Sat. and Sun., but how bad should I expect it to be on Thurs. and Fri.?

Thanks in advance!

bassett1976
05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Crowds will still be bad during the weekdays. Local schools do not go back that early, most will go back in early Sept. Make sure you get to the park at opening, hit Fantasyland right away and use Fastpass as much as possible.

writerevie
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Drat.....thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.

bassett1976
05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I know its not what you were looking for but do remember that you can still have a great day at DLR with the crowds. My wife and I visited DL 4 times on the fourth of July and the two times we went into the park early we got to ride about 12 rides before noon. Then the afternoon is quite a bit harder. During the summer months, the first few hours are wonderful. The afternoons get really busy and then by late evening (after fireworks) you'll be able to do a lot again.

writerevie
05-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm still looking forward to it, since I love that place. I guess we'll spend the morning riding and collecting fast passes for the afternoon and evening.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :D

And my friends all think it's weird that a 25-year-old can love Disneyland so much......THEY'RE the weird ones........

Disneymademoiselle
05-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Unfortunately, Disneyland is always busy during the summer months. I went this past August and it wasn't incredibly horrible, though we we're lucky enough to not have to contend with 90 degree weather.

As bassett1976 stated, the mornings are absolutely golden. Get there when the park opens and hit all of the Fantasyland and Toontown rides. Peter Pan would be my first choice, as that line is NEVER short!!!

Also, you can normally count on DCA being fairly empty, especially when Fantasmic and Remember are going on. When we were over there at night, it was pretty dead and we enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Oh, another thing. Do your shopping at odd hours. If you shop after the park closes, it makes the whole joy of shopping unenjoyable. That is never a good thing for me;)

By the way, NEVER feel weird about being a 25-year-old that loves Disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 24 and can guarantee that I will be obsessed with Disneyland until the day I die. Can I come with you in August???;)

disneyperson
05-27-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm 50 and still in love with Disneyland, so I guess people think I'm twice as weird.:D
Yes it will be crowded. We'll be there the week after the OP. We're planning on much meandering, people watching, soaking up of the atmoshpere, listening to music, and the wise use of that most marvelous of inventions...the fast pass. The crowds will only get to you if you let them. Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Enjoy.

writerevie
05-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry, just had to add this too, I'm soooo excited.....we're going to be staying at the Paradise Pier hotel!!! I finally decided to just pay extra and stay there, instead of the Best Western across the street, based on reviews of cleanliness I read on tripadvisor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the service at the hotel will be better this time around.

I'm also hoping the crowds will be nowhere near what it was when the Rose Parade was happening in January. That was a nightmare.

And Disneymademoiselle, of COURSE you're welcome to come along!!

disneyperson, I have a feeling I'll be at Disneyland fairly consistently when I turn 50 too. After all, my sister and I have been going there at least once a year from about 1984-1997, and we love the place.

kohl
05-27-2006, 12:59 PM
We are going to be there August 13 - 20. We expect large crowds, but we also decided to splurge and stay concierge at the DLH. We thought we will probably take more breaks than usual and we can watch the fireworks from the lounge and have some desserts!:D

blackjackdelta
05-27-2006, 06:32 PM
We were there mid August 2005, mid week was busy but getting there early makes a big difference. The Friday and Sat were a real zoo, Sunday was not busy until about 1300.

Jack

ILovePoker
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Also, you can normally count on DCA being fairly empty

No you can't. The park is doing very well this year. I happened to go during Presidents Week and many rides had an hour wait for everything. Plus, this year, California Screamin will not be closed during the summer months which could very well keep attendance up.

Disneymademoiselle
05-27-2006, 11:48 PM
No you can't. The park is doing very well this year. I happened to go during Presidents Week and many rides had an hour wait for everything. Plus, this year, California Screamin will not be closed during the summer months which could very well keep attendance up.

I was mearly commenting on the fact that when I went in August, it was pretty empty. With the exception of Soarin', we waited 15 minutes tops for every other ride. It was like night and day compared to Disneyland!!!

Yes, I live in the Bay Area and can't go as often as I'd like to, but I've gone about ten times since DCA opened, and have only experienced heavy crowds during my trip in April (the last weekend of 2fer). I do know that DCA attendance has picked up this year, no doubt with the aide of the 50th anniversary, but generally speaking, it's always MUCH more quite than Disneyland.

ILOVEPOKER, so sorry you were stuck at DCA on a crowded day:( Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats walking onto rides at Disneyland and DCA!:)

Writerevie, thanks for the invitation (even though I invited myself)!;) You are an awesome possum!!!