PDA

View Full Version : My families first time in Disneyland

busseys5
05-26-2006, 04:34 PM
My family and I are going to Disneyland June 25th 2006. But I wanted to share my families first experience in Disneyland in Nov. 2004.
First of all I am a Disney fanatic. I have been do Disneyland 2 times when I was a kid, and then when I graduated high school.
We live in Washington state so we decided we would fly. We went with my parents and met my cousin and her husband and daughter. The plane ride was so scary! I hate flying but this was a nightmare. we arrived at lax and got our rental car. After driving 5 miles down the road we could smell burning brakes. we went back and recieved a new van. We arrived at our hotel finally and right away went to the park around 2:00 we had a 5 day hopper so we really took our time cause we knew we would have lots of time. We rode all the rides we could and then met up with my cousin that night. It was amazing. My kids were in heaven.
The next day was perfect, we went from one thing to another without a plan. the third day we visited DCA and had a blast. our fav was soaring.
The third day we took it easy and did both parks.
On the 4th day my parents were leaving so we visited "Hollywood" and took them to the airport.
That night my youngest daughter woke up and got sick. She was so lethargic so we stayed in our hotel the whole 4th day.
The next night my son got sick, so again another day in the "fairfield". The next day we had tickets to go to Universal studios....and my oldest got sick...(there goes 250.00) We sat in our hotel and cleaned up after our 3 kids for 4 days...I CRIED EVERY DAY! I couldn't believe it! It was so sad and my kids were such troopers.
The amazing thing was a couple months ago I sent my trip report to Disneyland and they offered to pay for our missed days! I couldn't believe it! I just love Disneyland so much and want my kids to feel the same.
We are planning our next trip and I am so scared we will get sick! We are driving this time and we cannot wait!! All I can think about is Disneyland!
I always wonder if anyone else had a bad experiance like this, or if my luck is just that bad?!

blackjackdelta
05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
We also live in Wa state. We drive each time. After 911 and they saw those jets go in, they will not get on another airliner. The drive is usually less than 22 hours and they enjoy looking at the scenery and reading. Good luck with your next trip.

Jack

busseys5
05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks Jack,
We plan on taking 3 days to get there, if all goes well we will stop at universal studios on the 3rd day. We have 3 kids so we bought a portable dvd player and a bunch of other things to play with.
take care. Michelle

TripleTrouble
05-26-2006, 05:46 PM
We had a bad trip two years ago with our then 3yr. old triplets. On our first day there, we were in the Jamba Juice in DTD. We were waiting in line and were the next to order. A cast member from Tomorrowland excused himself to go by us. He just put himself in line before us and ordered even though he saw we had 3 small kids...Oh, I got his name! Then we got back to the hotel to find that the fridge we'd requested never got delivered. We had medicine for our children that needed to be refrigerated. We finally just gave up and were able to squeeze it into the Disney stocked fridge. That night our daughter threw up all over the bed to the point that we had to change rooms. The next night, our son threw up. Luckily we were able to clean it up. The next morning at breakfast, my eye started to feel weird. By lunch it was obvious that I had a bad case of pink eye. We had to find an urgent care and spend like over 4 hours seeing a doctor and getting a prescription. The next morning two of the triplets were getting it too so I had to call our pediatrician and have him call in a prescription to a local pharmacy. Our last 2days were finally healthy. That was also the last time we bought the Disney dining plan. We had such a difficult time using the vouchers since most of the restaurant employees didn't get the concept. I wrote to Disney and complained. They offered us the GCH(that's where we were staying) at a very discounted rate and replacement park tickets. Last year we used that deal and had a great time. It was kind of crazy because they went over-board trying to insure that we had a good visit. They delivered cookies and milk to our room for the kids, gave us complimentary VIP vallet parking and called every day to see that we were happy.

mommy-san
05-26-2006, 05:51 PM
In february we had a very similar experience- one after the other we all got the stomach flu. It started with my 5 year old the first night we were there- 3 sets of bedding, 3 baths, wet carpet and a tired little girl. Thankfully she was O.K. to go to the park on our first full day there. Then our 1 year old got it, but not as severely. Then me- oh, did I sympothize with the kids after that! My husband got sick on the flight home. Poor guy- 9 hours of airplanes/airports with the flu. The only good part of all this was that we were not all completely incapacitated for the trip, and we so nicely took turns being the ill party. Housekeeping made a fortune on tips from us!

awesome that disney is helping your family out this time around. Good luck and good health to you all!

busseys5
05-26-2006, 05:52 PM
wow! I don't feel so alone anymore. Thanks!

mommy-san
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
on a side note- quick litle fact. 65-80% of people who fly get sick within 1 week. That is a statistic that I found on an airline website that recommended the use of personal filters for the air vents, hand sanitizer for yourself and antibacterial wipes for everything you touch. They also said with air travel a flu shot is a must-do, vitamins etc. before-hand and thorough hand washing as soon after the flight as possible.
Not that the stomach bugs mentioned here would have appeared that fast after flyng, but its interesting to know how bad aiplanes can breed colds etc.

busseys5
05-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Who knows whether or not it was from the flying, but we arn't taking any chances....thanks for sharing your trips...
Michelle

nocaldznygrl
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I got sick the same year in DL. All of of us (a family of four)all got some stomach virus about 4 o'clock in the morning. We were staying at the DL Hotel. We all started throwing up within 15 minutes of each other and we were super sick for about 24 hour. It was horrible because it was only our 2nd day there. Only one bathroom. My older son went down to the lobby for juice and met a visiting nurse in the elavator who told him that many people were sick in the hotel. She came to our room and helped us with our sick tummys. We never fully recovered until we were home. We had to stay 2 extra days because driving home (sans bathroom) was impossible. They had to move us to a different room, but they gave us a really, really low rate for the extra days, and comped us our unused tickets to the park. All in all we were treated pretty good by the staff.
Word of warning, use hand sanitizer during the flu season at DL. That is what the nurse told us to do. Don't know if it will help, but....nice idea:| :|

busseys5
05-26-2006, 06:35 PM
That sounds just like us. We have a thumb sucker in the group and thought maybe she passed it around since she was the first to get it. We'll never know....we will be living on vitamin c and hand sanatizer this time...;)

allye
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I was sick with when we went to DL in September last year.I was lucky it was only for a day for so.( last time I had flu was when I was 11) My family didn't get it Thank goodness. we stay at DLR for 4 nights. It's not fun! being sick.We are going again for 2 days in July for our DS 10th birthday. Hope we are all healthy