PDA

View Full Version : Help Recalling D'Land Guest Registration Books

Opus1guy
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
I just had lunch yesterday with another Disneyland old-timer and we were reminiscing about the old Disneyland Guest Registration Books.

This was a big deal in the old days. They had these big red leather books...one for each State plus others...and thousands of Guests each day would go up to the counter and ask for their State and write their name and city plus any comments/doodles ;) in the book.

INA's (Insurance Companies of North America) "Carefree Corner" on Main Street (where the Kodak shop is now) used to be the information center of Disneyland and they had a long hotel-type counter with all the books lined up in slots on the wall behind the friendly ladies that worked there.

Anyway, I seem to recall that prior to their location at Carefree Corner, they resided someplace else on Main Street...but I can't recall where. I don't think it was City Hall. Maybe Lincoln post-show? Or the Disneyland Preview shop?

Does anyone recall where it was before INA?

That was a nice little tradition they used to have. Must have signed in the California book hundreds of times over the decades. I think they just have one book for everyone now at City Hall...and it doesn't get much use.

I also wonder if they just eventually chucked all the old pages? Must be whole lot of boxes stacked somewhere if they saved 'em!

You know...the more I think about it...it could be that I'm recalling another location after Carefree Corner! So that's a possiblity too. I just seem to recall they weren't always at that one location.

tod
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I remember the books in the Carefree Corner too. I seem to recall that the information was used to compile a Disneyland mailing list, maybe from David Koenig.

If the Powers That Be could choose to destroy the original silkscreened Disneyland attraction posters to reclain the space they were using, I have little hope for the pages of the Guest Books, especially if they had already served their mailing-list purpose.

--t

PragmaticIdealist
05-26-2006, 02:27 PM
The current Official Guest Registry is located in the Disneyland Opera House, but, unfortunately, there aren't separate books for each state or each country.

The "Lilly Belle" observation car of the Disneyland Railroad had its own Guest Registry where royalty, other heads of state, and different luminaries signed their names, but the book is missing.