PDA

View Full Version : Canadian? How often do you visit DLR?

mommy-san
05-26-2006, 06:30 AM
We are from Northern Alberta and had been lucky enough to visit twice in 4 months between October and February. We have now planned to visit every February. This is a huge expense ($2000 on airfare alone) but we feel its worth it. I'm really curious how often other Canadian families go, how they get there and how much they figure the trip costs.

Our extended families think we are nuts (and spoiled) to spend so much every year (or more often if I have my way) but I would rather spend $5000+ on Disneyland than $3000 shopping for the weekend at West Edmonton Mall!

Hoppypooh
05-26-2006, 06:48 AM
We're from Ottawa and our first visit to WDW was for our wedding in 2004, and our first visit to DL was last September. We are returning this September to squeeze in one more 50th visit. We are planning a DL Paris trip for 2007 and possibly a WDW return - so we probably won't be back to DL for a few years at least.

Our airfare (for 2) is just under $1000 round trip to DL. And I don't care what family or friends think! There is nowhere on earth I'd rather be than a Disney park! :)

BCmomof3
05-26-2006, 07:49 AM
First time since 1987 for us!

First time ever for my children!

Are we excited? You bet!

disneychick
05-26-2006, 09:25 AM
We live in BC, and our average seems to be every 2-3 years. We're also avid cruisers, so it's usually cruise one year, financial recovery the second, and the inevitable pull back to Disney the third.

Costs are usually variable - last time we went, back in 2003, it was for only 3 days as part of a cruise/stay package, so everything except spending money was inclusive. This time, we're using Airmiles to pay for the flights (:D ), and got a good deal at the BWPPI - because of this, we're staying for our longest time ever, 8 nights. It will be the AP's (a better deal than an 8-day park hopper - the good thing about moving our trip to Nov is that on our cruise next Sept, which ends in LA, we'll be able to use our AP's again for a couple of days at the end of the trip!), the food budget for so many days, and the souvenirs that will be the biggest cost - we're estimating about $100/day for our family of 3....but odds are it will be more than that when all's said and done!!

I'd say that you estimate of about $5000 for a family for about a week if you're not on a good package deal is about right. When we originally found out we couldn't use our Airmiles in September, we looked into paying for flights and it was going to be over $1500 - crazy!!

Next time we plan to go, we'll probably be on the lookout for the springtime "kids fly and stay free" deals that come out, that include park hoppers too - usually a family of 3 or 4 can go for 5 nights for around $2500.

Ragrobyn
05-26-2006, 02:46 PM
We also live in Alberta ( Edmonton...GO OILERS!) I would never spend $3000 at WEM!!! That place is Super Duper expensive!!! :eek: Yet I see nothing wrong with flying to DLR every spring break :D We have the best time there and love to go.

mommy-san
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Ragrobyn... hypothetically do the math...:) For a family of 4:
$300 for 2 nights hotel
$400 food($150/day food x 3 days)
$200 gas
$100 waterpark or galaxyland (or both=$200)
$1500 on Visits to stores we don't have (Gap, Old Navy, Disney store x2, The Children's Place, ToysRus, Chapters (thats easily $200 right there)

So, if we go to NO hockeygame, zoo, play or concert we are already at $2500.
Scary, hey?
Aren't you glad you live in Edmonton and have access to that stuff more than 3 times a year,

We actually just went in April and spent $1200 at Ikea too. UGH!

disneycanuk
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Calgary here, and we love going to disneyland every year we use it as our family vacatio for the year. We beleive its totally worth it as working in the hotel industry its our slower time and easier to request time off.

cfitz/pirates
05-26-2006, 07:18 PM
We drive down to DL every two years and I lived in Alberta my whole life only been to west Ed twice not very exciting.

wingsong
05-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I hadn't been since I was a kid in the 70's, took my boys this past December, and we are returning in August! (We loved some of the stuff that is only there for the 50th).
Airfare is expensive BUT it costs less to fly from Vancouver to LA than from Vancouver to Toronto (granted its quite a bit farther), and the hotel costs are comparable.

teach
05-26-2006, 09:32 PM
We had the luxury of going four times in the past year. We live in Vancouver and the distance is not that great. We bought annual passes, drove once, flew three times (two of the flights were with free tickets due to voluntary bumps), and stayed at the Super 8. We had to make the trips as cheap as possible to make this possible. I have to say, it was a memorable year, but our family will not be going back for many years.

robsmustang
05-26-2006, 09:52 PM
i am from surrey bc and go quit often, at least every other year. seems like my visits are getting more frequent though

boib
05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
It seems we go every two years. We are from the Vancouver area and like to drive down, in all it takes us about 22 hours and we do it either in two or three days. Cannot think of a better time to spend our vacation, we get sun, see the sites and of course visit Disneyland and watch the Angels play. The first time for me was in 1980 by motorcycle and it just keeps getting better. We asked our son where he would like to go this summer and (Europe, Hawaii, or across Canada) of course he said Disneyland

Canadiana Jones
05-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Seems to be a lot of Albertans on here. I am from Edmonton (LETS GO OILERS). We have been fortunate to go once a year for the last 2 years. After we went in 2004, we decided to take a year off and save for the following year. However, the 50th came along, and whammo, we are back in 2005. Okay, we are taking 2006 off and saving for Disneyworld right? Wrong! We are once again blessed with the opportunity to go to Disneyland this June/July. We jokingly asked our Mom if she wanted to go this year, and to our shock, she said yes! We booked the flights the following day before she could change her mind. Like many of you, our friends and relatives think we are nuts and must be loaded with cash (nuts... maybe, loaded with cash...not so much). I see it like this: You go spend $50-$100 every weekend at the bar ---- I'm going to Disneyland! Flights are usually around $800-$1000 for 2. Whenever it is possible, just GO! I hope to see some of my fellow Disney Albertans and Canadians when we go this summer. Look for the Messier Jersey and say "How's it going EH".

P.S. To save a little dough, exploit the AAA and Entertainment Card Discounts and hope for Disney Visa to be offered to Canucks soon.

SunRayz
05-27-2006, 06:28 AM
I have not been to DL for about 15 yrs, but I have recently booked a trip for my 12yr old son, Mom and myself for this Oct for 8 days with a total of $3700. So now that the trip is booked, time to save spending money.:) So exicted, Oct will not come fast enough.

mommy-san
05-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Funny thing about airfare.... its cheaper for us to book Aircanada flights Grande Prairie-Calgary-LAX than it is to just go Grande Prairie-Calgary. So we always joke that we could visit disneyland for cheaper than I could visit my sister!

AlbertaMinnie
05-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Another Edmontonion here - Go Oilers! Western Conference Champions - Sorry Ducks, but I was cheering for you against Calgary! Anyways, back on topic - we try to go once every 12-18 months. Airfare has gotten very expensive (family of 4) so every so often, we drive down. It's an awesome drive, and we get to see a lot more of the country. Our dollar is getting so much stronger, that things are becoming more and more affordable. We too use AAA and Entertainment for discounts as well as Air Miles - last July, 15 days, driving down, and visiting Alcatraz, Sea World, Knotts, Legoland and of course a 5-day DL hopper was on $4000.00 CA

Ragrobyn
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
last July, 15 days, driving down, and visiting Alcatraz, Sea World, Knotts, Legoland and of course a 5-day DL hopper was on $4000.00 CA

I would love to know which way you drove down and how long it took. Lots more details please!!! We are thinking about the same thing. Do everything AND 5 days at Disneyland. :D
Go Oilers GO!

AlbertaMinnie
05-29-2006, 08:13 AM
We left Edmonton on day one and stayed the first night in Pocatello, Idaho (about 15 hrs due to road construction). Day 2, we turned west at Salt Lake City (after driving on the Bonneyville Salt Flats - TOO COOL!!) and spent the night in Reno. We got up early on day three and drove to San Francisco, visited Alcatraz, drove around a little and then headed south towards LA. We stayed that night in a small hotel off the highway "somewhere", getting in at about 9:00 at night. The next day we finished the drive to Anaheim and checked into the Carousel Inn, with plenty of time to explore DD, go for dinner, a swim etc. Over the next days we staggered our visits between DL, CA, Universal, Knotts and of course, the outlet malls. We then headed to San Diego, where we stayed in Encinitas (nice, quiet and out of the way and a lot closer to Anaheim than we had first thought) we spent the rest of the first day at the beach, a day at Legoland, and a day at Sea World. After 3 nights there, we boogied North towards Las Vegas, stopping on the way at the Calico Ghost Town (very HOT, but very interesting) and arrived in Las Vegas at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Left Las Vegas the next morning around 10:00 am and drove to Pocatello, arriving about 8:30 pm. The last day we didn't leave until 10:30 am, and made many more stops on the way (dvd player blew a fuse - how did we ever live without these before?!) and pulled back into Edmonton at about midnight.

Can't wait to do it all again!!!!!

Ragrobyn
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Alberta Minnie! We are thinking about heading south to Vegas then over to DLR when all that is done North to Seattle and home via the Yellowhead. I can hardly wait! I love road trips and we are going to try to do it the "old fashion way" No Gameboy or DVD players...wish us luck!

mommy-san
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks Alberta Minnie! We are thinking about heading south to Vegas then over to DLR when all that is done North to Seattle and home via the Yellowhead. I can hardly wait! I love road trips and we are going to try to do it the "old fashion way" No Gameboy or DVD players...wish us luck!
I will be the first one to wish you luck... my kids don't even know what the old fashioned way is!:)

cfitz/pirates
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
We are thinking about heading south to Vegas then over to DLR when all that is done North to Seattle and home via the Yellowhead. I can hardly wait! I love road trips and we are going to try to do it the "old fashion way" No Gameboy or DVD players...wish us luck!

depending on where you are leaving from, from calgary we left at 5 am and drove straight through to west Jordan Utah and stayed a night there then we left aroun 8 am and hit Vegas around 1 pm. Just a note when leaving Vegas to anaheim leave between 10 and 2 esspecially if its a sunday or you will be stuck in traffic till after Barstowe CA.
Ps. Good luck with the old fasion way.:)

AngelBear
05-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Just outside of Vancouver here. We try and make it every year (we as in my parents and I). They started taking me when I was just over a year old. We did really good from '79 until around '94, then we had to stop for a while. Career change, back to school, stuff like that. We went again in '97 together. Then I went down with someone else in 2001. My parents and I went again just last summer, and don't intend on letting it go more than a year between visits again! :D

We've driven down every time, and for the last 6 trips or so we've taken the coast once we get south of San Fran. It's become as much a part of the trip as anything else now.

Oh, and our trips tend to be in late summer. They used to be in September, but we went for the week between Boxing Day and New Years once, the time I went without my parents was in July, and this past year we were there the first 2 weeks of August. I don't care what time of year I'm there, as long as I can go!

We've considered going other places on vacation, but it always came back to Disneyland! We get the same kind of "spoiled" comments, but I think people think it's more expensive than it is. And like you said, I'd rather spend the same money on 2 weeks there than a weekend somewhere else.

AlbertaMinnie
05-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Oh yes, good luck! I'm sure it can be done! I always visit a dollar store before a road trip, buy a couple of gift bags and then fill them with "shut-up" items! Lots of little things to keep them busy and hopefully happy during the drive. Also, a little bribery goes a long way.....if they are behaving, they each get a dollar or two to spend at each gas station convenience store along the way. They also keep a diary - jotting down interesting details from each day, drawing pictures of things they see etc. It can be a lot of fun! Good luck, relax, and have a great time!