PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Salutes 40th Anniversary of ‘it’s a small world’ and One of Pop Culture's

Darkbeer
05-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

DISNEYLAND SALUTES 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF ‘it's a small world’ AND ONE OF POP CULTURE’S MOST ENDURING (AND UN-ENDING) SONG HITS

Thanks to Disneyland, The Sun Never Sets on the Song “it's a small world (After All)"

ANAHEIM, Calif. (May 25, 2006) - - This Sunday May 28, 2006, marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of the classic attraction “it’s a small world” at “The Happiest Place on Earth.” One of the most popular Disney attractions of all time, the show is a fun-filled and whimsical salute to the children of the world that conveys its message of peace and harmony through the international language of music.

The water-borne journey originally debuted on April 22, 1964, at the New York World’s Fair, but it was its move to an elaborate new home at Disneyland that firmly cemented its place in pop culture and created, literally, an unforgettable theme song (much to the chagrin of many).

Although it was a hit with visitors to the fair, “it’s a small world” did not gain widespread fame as a must-see Disney experience until after Walt Disney himself presided over its official opening ceremonies at Disneyland on May 28, 1966. The attraction’s new address in Fantasyland provided a platform where millions of guests from around the world would be annually introduced to its visual charms and catchy title tune (by the Academy Award-winning songwriting team of Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman).

The new Disneyland version of the attraction, with its 900-foot long gleaming white, blue and gold façade, a fanciful 30-foot high chiming glockenspiel clock tower and over 300 singing and dancing Audio-Animatronics performers, became an instant favorite with park guests from around the globe. Through initial merchandise tie-ins (toys, records, music boxes, etc.) and the sheer popularity of its new incarnation, the attraction’s theme song became an international sensation (performed by everyone from top-name performers to local school and church choirs), so much so that today it is purported to be one of the most performed and recognized songs in the world.

“Disneyland was the springboard for making our little tune a phenomenal hit,” said songwriter Richard M. Sherman whose current projects include successful stage adaptations of his musicals “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” and “Mary Poppins,” soon to debut on Broadway. “The song was originally written as a slow ballad and a prayer for peace and in 1966 the world was in a bad state of affairs so I think the song sparked and resonated even more . . . highlighting that we’re all together in this world and we’re more alike than we are different.”

Due to its popularity at Disneyland, “it’s a small world” has been duplicated with similar success at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida (1971), Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan (1983) and Disneyland Paris Resort in France (1992), ensuring that during every minute of the day its happy anthem is playing somewhere on the planet. Since 1966 more than 100 million people have enjoyed the four different versions of the attraction around the world, resulting in numerous Internet articles citing its title tune as one of the greatest “earworms” (songs or melodies you just can’t get out of your head) of all-time.

Inside the attraction the song and melody are repeatedly featured within a soundtrack loop. The loop is played, on average, 1200 times a day during a 16-hour operating day at each Disney Park. It is estimated that the song and melody are therefore played over 4,800 times around the world during any 24-hour period!

The song and attraction have even taken on a holiday motif through the years. On November 27, 1997, Disneyland unveiled “it’s a small world holiday,” a spectacular seasonal make-over of the attraction (exclusive to Disneyland) that celebrates the winter holidays around the world. Each year the attraction’s famous façade is adorned with hundreds of thousands of holiday lights while the interior and its cast of international children receive a festive overlay. Even the familiar “it’s a small world” soundtrack gets into the holiday spirit as the attraction’s famed song becomes part of a medley featuring “Jingle Bells” and “Deck the Halls.”

“Of the many great songs and scores created by the Sherman Brothers, for such classic films as ‘Poppins,’ ‘The Jungle Book,’ and ‘The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh’ to name a few, none have the gravitas of international fame as ‘it’s a small world,” stated Jeff Kurtti, co-author of the book “Walt’s Time: From Before to Beyond” (a biography of the Sherman Brothers). “From its start as a song for UNICEF at the New York World’s Fair to a hit tune synonymous with Disneyland and the Disney parks, the song has become both a beloved and parodied pop culture song staple.”

A mainstay of childhood music education, the song has become both cherished and derided. Disney itself has even parodied the song. In the hit 1994 animated feature “The Lion King,” the villain, Scar, requests to be serenaded with a bouncy tune to improve his bad mood. His lackey Zazu begins to sing “It’s a Small World (After All),” prompting Scar to shout in apparent agony, “No, No! ANYTHING but that!” The song is also playfully poked fun at during the madcap “MuppetVision 3D” attraction at Disney Parks in California and Florida.

“The song’s perpetual cheery disposition may be grating on some nerves but there’s no denying it’s a catchy tune,” adds Sherman, with a wink (who confides as an aside that his home doorbell also plays the first few bars of the song). “If this were the only song my brother Bob and I ever wrote we would be most grateful songwriters – to have your song play virtually every minute of the day around the world with a message of peace, childhood hope, understanding between peoples and joy – I don’t think it gets any better than that!”

More information about the continuing Disneyland 50th anniversary celebration, and vacations at the Disneyland Resort, is available at www.disneyland.com (http://www.disneyland.com/), by calling (877) 700-DISNEY, or by visiting local travel agents. Additional insights can be found on the Official Disneyland Resort Podcast at www.disneyland.com/podcast (http://www.disneyland.com/podcast).

I Heart Disneyland!
05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
You see this Jenny? :)

Opus1guy
05-25-2006, 11:05 PM
During a lunch with Richard Sherman, he told me that he and his brother Robert went in to Walt's office one afternoon before the attraction debuted at the New York World's Fair and announced to him that they had decided to donate their share of the song "It's A Small World, After All" and all it's proceeds to UNICEF.

They didn't think much of the little tune themselves and thought of it as a small gesture that Walt would be pleased to hear about. So they were very surprised when Walt immediately cocked one eyebrow and shot them a stern look and said, "Nope. I can't let you do that."

Puzzled, they asked Walt, "Why not?"

Walt replied, "Boys...that song is gonna make you a hat-full of money. It's gonna send your kids to college someday."

Richard said they would always be forever grateful for Walt's insistence that they retain their rights and portion of the proceeds of the song. Although they did later make some sizable personal donations to UNICEF...After All. :)

While lots of rightful credit is given to the Sherman Bros in the Press Release, I think it's a bit of a shame that the one person most responsible for the attraction itself is left out of it: Mary Blair. (http://legends.disney.go.com/legends/detail?key=Mary+Blair)

Mary had left Disney many years before, and Walt begged her to come back and create this attraction...which she did. No other attraction carries one single particular artist's unique style more than "It's A Small World" does. It literally has Mary Blair written all over it. A real shame she doesn't even warrant a mention in the 40th Anniversary Press Release. :(

Oh well. Happy 40th Anniversary (at Disneyland), Small World! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
05-25-2006, 11:07 PM
What a great story, Opus. I love IASW! Always have.

evrythngwmn
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
“The song was originally written as a slow ballad and a prayer for peace and in 1966 the world was in a bad state of affairs so I think the song sparked and resonated even more . . . highlighting that we’re all together in this world and we’re more alike than we are different.”

Richard Sherman sang it as a ballad during a cast event. It brought tears to my eyes. It puts the song and the attraction in a whole new perspective thinking of it in this way.

Oh, and I agree Neenie that it's sad Mary Blair didn't get a mention either.

disneyperson
05-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the story Opus. Mary Blair should have been honored too. I still miss her murals form Tomorrow Land.

Disney Vault
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the story Opus. Mary Blair should have been honored too. I still miss her murals form Tomorrow Land.
While I think they were nice I think what is currently there is much better for tomorrowland.

disneyperson
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
While I think they were nice I think what is currently there is much better for tomorrowland.
So do I. It doesn't stop me from missing the stuff I'll never see again though.

Opus1guy
05-26-2006, 02:27 PM
It doesn't stop me from missing the stuff I'll never see again though.

Well...perhaps someday you will? ;)

The one Mary Blair mural on the left (Circlevision/Buzz side) is still there underneath the current mural. So maybe we'll get a peek someday? :)

You can also visit the one on the other side, today! Though I don't think you would recognize it. It was broken up into tiny pieces and I believe it was Imagineer Tony Baxter that salvaged what was left and had those pieces shipped to Paris where they were used (as sort of an homage and one of those secret insider factoids) to decorate the "Pizzeria Bella Notte" restaurant at Disneyland Paris. The style of using old broken pieces of ceramics as part of building and walkway design is quite common in Italy...so the pieces fit right in with the particular building style and design of this great Fantasyland restaurant.

So if you're ever at Disneyland Paris...stop by the restaurant and say "Hi" to Mary and a little secret connection to Disneyland in Anaheim. :)

tod
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
You can also visit the one on the other side today. Though I don't think you would recognize it. It was broken up into tiny pieces...

I believe that most of the mural is intact, but they punched several large holes in it to anchor the new wall outside Star Tours. So maybe it could be salvaged after all. Although it would take a lot of work... :rolleyes:

--t

Opus1guy
05-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey disneyperson! An Imagineer friend just read this thread and called me and told me about this Small World Mary Blair mural that Walt donated to the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA, and asked that I pass it on to you and other readers here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11661&forum=6

I never knew it existed until now. I'll have to check it out someday. :)

Even though it's not the same one from Disneyland...perhaps you can get a little "fix" by visiting it if you're ever in the area? :)

tod...he said you are correct in that part of the Star Tours side does still exist. But he said it was much more destroyed/damaged on that side (not just a few large holes...the mural went all the way to the ground on that side and they cut much of that section out) than you might have thought. He confirmed the Buzz side is largely intact under a specially built frame that separates it from the current mural.

Seems the Disneyland Press Release and the absence of even a single Mary Blair reference caused some discussions at WDI as well today. Glad to know others feel the same way about the omission.

disneyperson
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks Opus! You made me smile today. Maybe when we get lost this August while we're trying to find the Jim Henson Animatronics exhibit we'll stumble across the mural.
Again, my thanks. (and to your friend too)

rentayenta
05-26-2006, 05:53 PM
You see this Jenny? :)

I did!!!!!! :D

And how that song could grate on anyone's nerves is beyond me.

AVP
05-26-2006, 10:54 PM
It feels to me like Mary Blair is a difficult subject for Disney to deal with. Even John Canemaker's book really just skims the surface of her work. She was a woman, and it seems the "9 Old Men" got (and still get!) most of the press. She was a rather odd duck, according to those who knew her. She had personal problems that don't make for happy children's stories, and she died too young. She doesn't really fit into the "Disney Legend" category, though they finally named her one in the 90s.

If you want to see the Tomorrowland murals, Yesterland has some photos (http://www.yesterland.com/maryblair.html).

AVP

disney jones
05-27-2006, 12:49 AM
i heard in honor of the 40th anniversary, they were going to install a loop.

or a Jack Sparrow character.

or a "Rock it" IASW sound track.

:geek:

gaptoothed
05-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Happy Anniversary!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/gaptoothed/DSCN1665.jpg

tod
05-28-2006, 07:42 AM
tod...he said you are correct in that part of the Star Tours side does still exist. But he said it was much more destroyed/damaged on that side (not just a few large holes...the mural went all the way to the ground on that side and they cut much of that section out) than you might have thought. He confirmed the Buzz side is largely intact under a specially built frame that separates it from the current mural.

Thanks for the update, grim as it is. I saw the wall with holes in it and big steel beams through the holes and just got out of Tomorrowland before I got angry. Angrier.

--t