PDA

View Full Version : Eating at Disney survey...

Pages : [1] 2

BCmomof3
05-25-2006, 04:12 PM
You have all been so wonderful! And I have learned so much!!!! Soon we will be leaving! And when I get back I will tell you all about it!!!!

But one more thing...

I would like your opinions on the best places to eat. In DL, DCA and Downtown Disney.

So I would like your opinion on where you eat for
1) when you are in a hurry
and
2) for the best atmosphere, disney experience

Please don't say Blue Bayou because it is closed (BooHoo) and please don't include Character meals because they are a different kind of experience.

Thank-you, thabk-you

05-25-2006, 04:24 PM

Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian Hotel

and

French Market in New Orleans Square

Micki0624
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Let me start out w/ #2
In DL I would say Blue Bayou but it is closed so the other in DL is Plaza Inn (sit by a window and people watch on Main St)
At DGC Napa Rose is wonderful!
At DLH Goofy's Kitchen

In DL Pizza Port or Rancho Del Zocolo
In DCA Award Wieners or the pub grub at the Avalon Coast Bar

Gone2Disneyland
05-25-2006, 04:39 PM

By afternoon time, there's no place I can really think of that typically has a short line. But on occasion, the corn dog cart, aka Little Red Wagon, on Main Street near Plaza Inn sometimes has short or no lines, which segues into...

I love the corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon. I also enjoy going to the Pizza Port for the food, but it's a popular spot, so don't expect it to be fast nor will finding a table be always easy. I also second the vote for Award Weiners in DCA as a good place for food and relatively on the quick side.

And finally, a unique Disney experience I'd recommend is breakfast inside Disneyland. I've been to Carnation Cafe and the River Belle Terrace. The former has decent MM waffles and the latter has fun MM pancakes, and you can eat there with a view of the Rivers of America. Just get there early to avoid the long lines that hit there mid-morning. Bon appetit.

PanFan
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
At Disneyland, my favorites are:

1) Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland for speed (I've never encountered huge lines and all they have to do is assemble already-cooked food--don't worry though, it's actually really good!). It's relatively central location is nice, too.

2) Two favorites for atmosphere (though neither would score very high in the speech category): Carnation Cafe on Main Street (sit down/table service; fun during a parade or just to people-watch; great soups and sandwiches). The other winner is Village Haus in Fantasyland. Though it's usually really crowded (don't even try it in the rain!), I love the atmosphere created by the Pinocchio paintings and shelf displays, even if they do need a little touch-up.

DianeM
05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
My favorite in a hurry place is the Gumbo takeout next to the Blue Bayou. They serve gumbo in a bread bowl, which is very filling. I love to have that for lunch at DL. My favorite sit down... honestly, I love the Knotts take out at the Knotts Berry Farm Park, although I'm sure that's not what you meant. We pick it up and take it back to our room, with a boysenberry pie, and sit in our room. I'm not big on sit down restaurants, although we often have lunch at Blue Bayou.

and

MrsG
05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
My favs for Disney Experience/atmosphere:
French Market in NOS
Carnation Cafe on Main Street
River Belle Terrace

Quick eats?
Not sure there is such a thing. I think you'd have to leave the park for that.

Micki0624
05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
My favorite sit down... honestly, I love the Knotts take out at the Knotts Berry Farm Park, although I'm sure that's not what you meant. We pick it up and take it back to our room, with a boysenberry pie, and sit in our room. I'm not big on sit down restaurants, although we often have lunch at Blue Bayou.

Ohhhh yumm boysenberry pie and fried chicken. If you are going out for dinner I suggest Angelo's & Vinci's in Fullerton (about 10 min N. on Harbor). They have the best Italian food in the area.

rentayenta
05-25-2006, 07:00 PM
You have all been so wonderful! And I have learned so much!!!! Soon we will be leaving! And when I get back I will tell you all about it!!!!

But one more thing...

I would like your opinions on the best places to eat. In DL, DCA and Downtown Disney.

and

Please don't say Blue Bayou because it is closed (BooHoo) and please don't include Character meals because they are a different kind of experience.

Thank-you, thabk-you

I think all of the places in Disney have something cool to offer with the exception of the Villiage Haus- it just sucks.

I like the French Market and the Hungry Bear for a sit down meal. When we are in a hurry we go for a corndog. :D

hlbtimes2
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Quick? The Royal St. Veranda. They have great clam chowder in a bread bowl. Pizza port has good pasta and salads. Sometimes you can get in and out really quick, other time not. Carnation cafe on main street is pretty quick for table service, if you have PS.

Atmosphere? Carnation cafe, Plaza Inn or River Bell.

funatdisney
05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I can offer a tip that has helped me in the past. No matter where you go for dinner, try to make it to the resturant between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. I have find the wait mostly around 10 to 20 minutes. If we are hungry later (usually we are not), we get a quick snack like ice cream. This somewhat "works" on very busy days too. Hope that will help.

kimmybear
05-25-2006, 07:56 PM
i like hungry bear- it's an attraction in itself- the lines are super long, the atmospere is nice, and the "ride" aka eating, is over relatively quickly. :D for me, the place holds sentimental value- the first place i got mickey shaped chicken nuggets. i liked them so much i took a picture and now i can't stop taking pictures of food. it's an addiction really... :D

Tinkermommy
05-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I agree with Micki; love the ambiance in the Plaza Inn. We eat there just about every visit. (It's not a rush place, though.)

Our favorite table is in the skylight side (it would be to your left as you enter the Plaza Inn); the last corner window table on the right as you walk into the room. It overlooks an area where characters go in and out, and PUSH the talking trash can is often found hanging out there. We can sit there for the longest time watching guests chase the characters and watching kids interact with PUSH. If we stay long enough for the Happiest Birthday thing, we also get to see Mickey and Minnie come out their door on the way there. Every now and then, they stop and wave at the guests inside. Love it!

We don't often do rush meals at Disneyland. Instead, I carry Goldfish crackers or something similar, and when we get a little hungry, we snack on them. That saves us a lot of money, and leaves room for the big meal at the Plaza Inn.

nvmom
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
My dh and I love Bengal BBQ. It wasn't really fast, and we happened to hit right at lunch time, so the atmosphere was crowded at the little tables... but we still loved it. I'm afraid it's going to close before we can get back.

Theresa

potterphreak
05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
We ate at Pizza Port for the very first time in May and I must say, I thought everyone were either liars or just didn't eat a lot. I have to admit tho, the pasta IS too big to NOT share and it's VERY yummy!!! We had whatever the corkscrew pasta with white sauce and chicken and it was super tasty! DD3 had the kids meal with red sauce and a meatball and it too was excellent as was her bread! So, that's my favorite place for when we were in a hurry (was pretty fast!)
and
Since Blue Bayou is closed, I must say for atmosphere/experience would be Bengal BBQ. In my opinion the food was just *ok* (DH didn't like it at all( but the ambiance was great!! You get off Jungle Cruise and Indy and B-BBQ just ties in so well!

disney jones
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
we usually bring in enough quality food to get us through most of the day to save $$$, but we'll make time for one nice lunch/dinner too. RBT or Carnation Cafe are my favorites. Taste Pilots Grill at DCA too.

Disneymademoiselle
05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
We had whatever the corkscrew pasta with white sauce and chicken and it was super tasty!

Oh my gosh, that fuselli pasta is soooooooooooooooo incredibly good. I am having dreams about it as I type.

I second the Hungry Bear motion. I love watching the Columbia and Mark Twain drifting by while I eat my Mickey-shaped nuggets :)

05-26-2006, 04:48 AM
We ate at Pizza Port for the very first time in May and I must say, I thought everyone were either liars or just didn't eat a lot. I have to admit tho, the pasta IS too big to NOT share and it's VERY yummy!!!

Oh ye of little faith in the Pad! We don't kid around about food.

Leap for Joy
05-26-2006, 06:04 AM
I can offer a tip that has helped me in the past. No matter where you go for dinner, try to make it to the resturant between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. I have find the wait mostly around 10 to 20 minutes. If we are hungry later (usually we are not), we get a quick snack like ice cream. This somewhat "works" on very busy days too. Hope that will help.
We eat a granola bar in the morning when we leave our motel. When we get to DL we take in a couple of attractions and gather fastpasses and then have a late breakfast at RiverBelle Terrace. I love sitting outside and watching everything! We then play for several hours, take a nap, and do an early dinner like funatdisney recommends. We only pay for 2 meals per day, and get a snack later if we're hungry.

When we're in a hurry in DTD (or when we don't want to spend much) we choose Tortilla Jo's walk-up counter.

IdahoMike
05-26-2006, 08:14 AM
We also like the Hungry Bear, you can get out of the sun, watch the Mark Twain and Columbia travel around Tom Sawyer Island, and kids like the little lunchbox meals (do they still have those, we haven't been in 2 yrs). We usually bring a lot of our own snacks, so we just stop for quick things like corn dogs or churros, rather than doing a lot of sitdown meals. We will be doing the Carnation Cafe this time around though.

twist1980
05-26-2006, 08:39 AM
I love the Hungry Bear over by Splash! It's just nice to eat and overlook the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island. Especially on a hot day, its nice to eat downstairs because its nice and cool and not as crowded.

At DL, I also recommend Plaza Inn. It's fun to people watch while you eat, especially if you get a table near the street!

For snacks at DL, you can't miss Dole Whips (outside the Tiki Room), any of the skewers at Bengal BBQ (in Adventureland), frozen lemonade (usually along the Rivers of America) and churros throughout the park!

I haven't eaten a lot at DCA. Ariel's Grotto has the best view. There is nothing like watching all the rides on the Pier while you eat. Plus the Princesses come and visit while your eating. You can't beat that!

We enjoyed Award Weiners, we had a Sicilian Dog which was like an Italian sausage with marinara and mozerella. It came with yummy fries too!

I think the Wine Country Trattoria looks great. I haven't eaten there yet, but I do have a PSA for June...yay!

wabby1
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I love Blue Bayou in D/L (when available), Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney, and the Napa Rose at the GCH. I would suggest checking out this website for further details....

http://www.thetownmenu.com/disneyland/

mowsluver
05-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Man, for me, you cannot beat the Hungry Bear!! Have not had very long lines and it moves quickly anyway. Bottom level, sit and feed the ducks, wave to the canoes, restrooms right there, shady....we always take a long break there, just to recoup.
The top level is cool too! Wave to the Mark Twain, the Columbia, the train, and still throw crumbs to the ducks!!!

simbaNnala101
05-26-2006, 10:55 AM
DCA:
In a hurry eat at award wienners is hollywood backlot
And atmosphere its hard to really get "Disney" atmosphere in DCA but Ariels grotto is about as close you you will get to really disney and not just california.

DTD:
In a hurry is wetzel pretzel is my all time favorite or the compass cafe. for atmosphere I would deffinatly say hands down rainforest cafe is the best and one of my top three favorites next to the blue bayou and the pizza port.

DL"
In a hurry I would say the golden horse shoe but when I go in there to get food there is always something going on like a show and I get destracted by things that are shinny and funny. lol :D and for atmosphere I would say plaza inn because of its location on main street or river belle terrace has a very beautiful view of tom sawyers Island.

Hope any of that helps you can also go on the Disneyland home page and look up all of these individual dinning locations and see pictures and get some food ideas.

~Ash~

averagedork
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
DCA:
Enjoy the vibe of Trat, except they are really slow.
The sourdough soup place is good too! Yum and a nice view
Fast there would be the sandwich place near Monster's Inc

DL:
I like Plaza Inn and the place over near the Golden Horseshoe. Yum