PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix to DLR - someone knows of a quick back route?

Poptart
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry, I've tried searching for the post. I remember someone has a way to get to DLR from Phoenix that saves time.....
anybody out there????

Darkbeer
05-24-2006, 06:16 PM
The most common way, that has the best carpool lanes is....

Take the 10 all the way to the 57, which is past Ontario and Pomona. Use the Carpool lanes on the 10, but keep an eye out for where you have to merge onto the regular lanes to get on the 57. You can't miss the 57, it is the EXTREMELY tall bridge that goes over the 10.

Take the 57 to Ball Road, but be careful, as the freeway merges with the 60 for a few miles (Just follow the signs), once you get past the 60 merge point, the carpool lane will be available for you again. (FYI, in SoCal, 2 people qualifies you for the Carpool lane). You can get off at Ball, Katella or take the 57 all the way to the 22 Freeway and Harbor Blvd, they all end up with about the same amount of City Streets, the Harbor Blvd choice is good if your hotel is in Garden Grove.

This avoids the 91 freeway, which is notorious of being one of the worst congested freeways in the area.

I Heart Disneyland!
05-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Where's Disney Jones when we need him?

bassett1976
05-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Take the 57 to Ball Road, but be careful, as the freeway merges with the 60 for a few miles (Just follow the signs), once you get past the 60 merge point, the carpool lane will be available for you again.

Since they are doing construction on that interchange you need to be really careful. The right hand lane goes to a street exit. The two lanes to it's left will be the connector to the 57 south. I believe the three left hand lanes will go to the 60 west but it could be four lanes.

NOTE: Avoid coming through this area in the morning rush hour and also avoid it on a Friday afternoon (especially around the 57/60 interchange). The freeway in the morning is horrible, even in the carpool. If your unfortunate in the afternoon you'll get stuck with the 57/60 interchange/merger and can be stuck for over an hour going only about a mile.

disney jones
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
there a thread on another board about this too. :rolleyes: there appears to be a lot of 91-phobia out there, but its the way i always take - just avoid it in the morning, and its generally fine.

10W, then the 60W to Riverside, then the 91W to Orange County, then the 57 South to Ball Road - that's the most direct and fastest way.

i lived most of my adult life in Riverside County, including 2 years at UCR in the mid-90's. i went to DLR 10x last year on this route, and in one week, i'll be doing it again.

Just don't drive the 91 from Riverside to OC on a weekday morning during rush hour. Sure, you can bypass the 91 and take the 60W or the 10W over to the 57S, but most of the time on this out-of-the-way route, you'll be in Brea Canyon about the same time you'd be on the Matterhorn if you took the 91.

DangerMouse
05-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Sorry, I've tried searching for the post. I remember someone has a way to get to DLR from Phoenix that saves time.....
anybody out there????

The very best time-saving route I have found is via Southwest Airlines or US Air to Orange County. They often have good deals on flights.

If you MUST drive, I agree with Jones, that is the route we always take. Just have lots of patience on the 91 transition. It really only should take between 5-10 minutes if you avoid rush hour.

junglemom
05-25-2006, 07:17 AM
there a thread on another board about this too. :rolleyes: there appears to be a lot of 91-phobia out there, but its the way i always take - just avoid it in the morning, and its generally fine.

10W, then the 60W to Riverside, then the 91W to Orange County, then the 57 South to Ball Road - that's the most direct and fastest way.

I have taken this route several times. It was always great going but horrible coming home. We have been stuck in traffic for up to an hour on Riverside.

Poptart
05-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm sooooo relieved to have an alternate route.

We *could* fly, but have a 14 month old, so we won't be traveling light. It's easier to just shove it all in the car.
Plus, I'm pg.....
pregnancy and flying.....????? Hmmmm..... :crying:
I'm feeling like driving will be ok -as long as the traffic doesn't back up and I don't end up getting all hormonal and going postal.

disney jones
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
if traffic gets unexpectedly backed up on the 91, don't go postal :eek: ;) , just take the 71 or 15 north to the 60W and catch the 57 S. i've had to do that, but just once.

scaeagles
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Be careful about shaving too much off.....ever read "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" by Steven King?