PDA

View Full Version : Things I Learned on my trip last week

Pages : [1] 2 3

Carina
05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
1) If you bring your lunch in a backpack ( vs a Cooler) they Dont seem to Mind at all - We got in 5 out of 5 days with a huge lunch packed in our backpack ( we have 5 family memebers) as well as snacks in our fanny packs and nothing was said. We then put the food in a bigger locker for the day!

2) Lockers Cost SEVEN DOLLARS!!!!!!! for the day ( the Small one are six) but you can go in and out of them as much as you want

3) if you are doing both theme parks in the same day do Disneyland in the Morning and CA in the Afternoon because disneyland is WAY WAY WAY busier than CA - And get to DL as EARLY as you can - because you will be able to do more in the first hour than in the whole rest of your day!

4) Watch out for People pushing stollers if you value you achiles tendon ( or ankles) DL has a serious Problem with the # of strollers in the park being pushed by people that are not paying attention. They are a real hazard that is very much underrated.

5) Last but not least PRE - MEASURE your kids - I saw SOOOOO many parents that did not know the height of their kids and forced them to check for every ride. Just imagine the kids reaction when they were standing right at the entrance to an awsome looking ride when they find out they are too small. Those tears can be prevented if you premeasure your kids. All the maps they give you at the front entrance ( as well as the DL website) list the height required for each ride- if you know your kid is too small you can stear clear of that ride and prevent alot of temper tantrums and tears ( and the other patrons will thank you for that)

Frogberto
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Great tips - thank you!

MileHighAko
05-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Re: strollers - yes, they can be a pain if being driven by careless folks. At the same time, they can be a huge advantage. Combining the stroller pass with the fast pass is a winning combination. :-)

Susan L
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Great tips! I know what you mean about those strollers, the drivers need to pay more attention. Last time we were there all four of us were run over, banged in to, my DD on more then one occasion and no apologies, what is up with that. Not ok!

Carina
05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
No applogies is right in fact several times the driver gave ME a Dirty Look Like how dare I be in their way!

bduff
05-24-2006, 01:29 PM
5) Last but not least PRE - MEASURE your kids - I saw SOOOOO many parents that did not know the height of their kids and forced them to check for every ride. Just imagine the kids reaction when they were standing right at the entrance to an awsome looking ride when they find out they are too small.

When we were at DLR last week, they pulled a child out of line just in front of us for Mulholland Madness who was shorter than the height marker by the smallest of margins, but nevertheless was shorter than the indicated height. The mom whined and complained and made a fuss, but the cast member held firm - as they should (in my opinion). Parents should not assume that there is any wiggle room in those height restrictions.

kimmybear
05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
5) Last but not least PRE - MEASURE your kids - I saw SOOOOO many parents that did not know the height of their kids and forced them to check for every ride. Just imagine the kids reaction when they were standing right at the entrance to an awsome looking ride when they find out they are too small. Those tears can be prevented if you premeasure your kids. All the maps they give you at the front entrance ( as well as the DL website) list the height required for each ride- if you know your kid is too small you can stear clear of that ride and prevent alot of temper tantrums and tears ( and the other patrons will thank you for that)

a small tip if you think your kid is borderline- at home, pull out all the shoes your kid has and pick the ones that are on the more confortable side. from those, have your kid try each pair on and measure them- bring the shoes that make them the tallest. my friend's sister was almost tall enough, but not quite. she traded shoes with her cousin and walked right on through. made a world of a difference. :D

Opus1guy
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
4) Watch out for People pushing stollers if you value you achiles tendon ( or ankles) DL has a serious Problem with the # of strollers in the park being pushed by people that are not paying attention. They are a real hazard that is very much underrated.

Not underrated by me! I've mentioned this little danger in several threads here in the past. Because I've been nailed several times by the suckers. It can ruin your whole day if you really get slammed...that's for sure.

"Ouch! Hey lady...watch where you're driving!"

What's sometime worse is that Mommy and Daddy often think it's fun to let the little tyke push his own stroller for a bit!!! Isn't that cute? Yeah. Until junior rams your ankle with the thing. "Hi there little fella. Why don't you go drive that thing on the freeway?"

I swear...some people should be required to take some classes, pass a test, and get a licence...before they're allowed to breed. ;)

r-we-there-yet
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Okay, I'll be the devil's advocate on this one. I use a stroller, and I try to leave a couple of feet in front of me, so as to prevent "tendon" incidents. For some reason, people think that is a great little hole to jump in to gain a whopping foot. Then I, shame on me, hit their heels because my cat like reflex's failed me.

Not just the stroller drivers folks.

cpeak
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Okay, I'll be the devil's advocate on this one. I use a stroller, and I try to leave a couple of feet in front of me, so as to prevent "tendon" incidents. For some reason, people think that is a great little hole to jump in to gain a whopping foot. Then I, shame on me, hit their heels because my cat like reflex's failed me.

Ditto, sometimes people, maybe not people in the post, like to squeeze their way in front of strollers when there is a crowd situation. I hate running into people, sometimes it can't be avoided. Is it fair for people with strollers to let others push pass them because there is a centimeter of space that is not being taken? People should be just a courteous to stroller people as they expect in return.

Koala Gurl
05-24-2006, 08:22 PM

Yeah, or the folks who stop in the middle of a walk way (and I am talking when there is a definite flow of people.) I have had to "slam on the breaks" to avoid hitting people who stop to chat, get something out of the backpack, etc. in the middle of the walkway (and I've even been hit from others behind me when I've had to suddenly stop.) And I don't tailgate either. :)

tink1234
05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
1)

My short then 5 year old was allowed on Big Thunder Mtn, but not on Star Tours. Don't they both have the same height requirements? Now she is NOT prone to fits and we warned her before she got in line so it was not a big deal. But if children are marginal they might get to ride some, but not others.

rentayenta
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM

Thank you. :)

For some reason when people with a stroller/EVC/wheelchair/whatever leave a little room between themselves and the person in front of them, some folks think that's their chance to jump right in meanwhile cutting off whoever was behind them. Courtesy runs both ways. :|

evrythngwmn
05-25-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah, or the folks who stop in the middle of a walk way (and I am talking when there is a definite flow of people.) I have had to "slam on the breaks" to avoid hitting people who stop to chat, get something out of the backpack, etc. in the middle of the walkway (and I've even been hit from others behind me when I've had to suddenly stop.) And I don't tailgate either. :)

I'm with you on this one. I view walking at someplace like Disneyland akin to driving. If you're going to stop to chat or figure out where you're going, pull to the side. Nothing like running into a wall of three or more people who stop in the center of say Adventureland to discuss whether they should go on the Jungle Cruise or eat first.

Mommy2NicknMax
05-25-2006, 05:09 AM
Thank you. :)

For some reason when people with a stroller/EVC/wheelchair/whatever leave a little room between themselves and the person in front of them, some folks think that's their chance to jump right in meanwhile cutting off whoever was behind them. Courtesy runs both ways. :|
I agree as well. I've been to the park with and without strollers and I see this a lot. Especially during crowded times like after the parade or fireworks.

danyoung
05-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Nothing like running into a wall of three or more people who stop in the center of say Adventureland to discuss whether they should go on the Jungle Cruise or eat first.

My favorite is the folks who go through the turnstiles to enter the park, and then stop right there to look at the map and make decisions. Hello? Large line of people right behind you???

MamaD
05-25-2006, 06:20 AM
.What's sometime worse is that Mommy and Daddy often think it's fun to let the little tyke push his own stroller for a bit!!! Isn't that cute?
Hey now! My 2 year old insisted on driving during her first trip. It was either let her drive, or let her scream, and oh my gosh, if you knew her, it was less risk to let her drive. One of us walked next to her and helped her steer, the other walked up front with our 7 year old's help, to break traffic and step in front of the stroller if she got close to anyone. She did, and ran into Daddy many times, but not into anyone else!

So see, not everyone is a thoughtless oaf! :D

danyoung
05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey now!

Wow - just had a big ol' Hank Kingsley flashback!

nursemelis374
05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Strollers don't bother me nearly as much as ECVs and even then that is a minor annoyance that in no way alters my overall experience.

I am always surprised that people even keep their kids in the strollers when they are walking through extremely crowded situations, like after the fireworks. I would be terrified that someone would fall on my kid or that the crowd would knock over the stroller.

MileHighAko
05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I'll admit it, ECVs bug me too, usually because of the speed at which they are traveling and the fact that they are much heavier than a stoller with a toddler. And not to point fingers, but I rarely feel like the driver is being polite when driving. This is the happiest place on earth, but for some reason I rarely see them smiling. I think everyone needs to relax and be more patient with each other.

tonytone
05-25-2006, 09:37 AM

As a stroller pusher, this reminds me of a sorta Catch-22; now, I can sympathize with the folks who get bumped from behind by careless (or uncaring?) stroller pushers...but when you're in a very crowded area (e.g., after the fireworks are over)--you get ragged on by some impatient folks if you're pushing your stroller too "slow", and get ragged on if you try to "accomodate" all those impatient folks trying to get to whereever it is they need to get to by trying to go a bit faster but subsequently (and inadvertantly, I might add) bump someone from behind w/ your stroller.

Crazy4DL
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I think everyone needs to relax and be more patient with each other.

You got that right!

I had to use one of those scooters last time at DL and believe me, I had a smile on my face! It was a blast and my knee didn't hurt! :D

Mommy2NicknMax
05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Strollers don't bother me nearly as much as ECVs and even then that is a minor annoyance that in no way alters my overall experience.

I am always surprised that people even keep their kids in the strollers when they are walking through extremely crowded situations, like after the fireworks. I would be terrified that someone would fall on my kid or that the crowd would knock over the stroller.
For my two boys it's actually safer. We were separated once by someone pushing through the after fireworks crowd when I was holding Nick's hand. Plus their toes get stepped on or run over by a ........... stroller! ;)

Opus1guy
05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, I'm not talking about the morons that jump in front of strollers (unsafe passing at any speed). I'm talking about walking along at a normal pace and being clipped by the parent who's not watching where they're going ("Oh look over there! It's a Churro wagon!" "And turkey legs!!" BAM!) or are sitting enjoying their lunch while Daddy Jr. plays Bumper Ankles with his Indy 500 stroller.

The obvious solution is to eliminate strollers and make parents carry their kids. Eliminating the tier'd ticket prices might help too. 60 bucks no matter Diaper or Depends might cut down on the source of the strollers. Besides, I'm sick of this age discrimination thing! ;)

My favorite is the folks who go through the turnstiles to enter the park, and then stop right there to look at the map and make decisions. Hello? Large line of people right behind you???

My favorite is similar. It's the folks that wait in the fast food line in front of you and while they're waiting they're chatting and joking and looking at their maps...doing everything but looking at the menu and deciding what they want to eat before they get to the order taker. Then when it's finally their turn to order...then and only then...do they all look up at the menu and say, "Hmm...now what do we want for lunch? Let's see, they've got a turkey sandwich, chicken strips, cheeseburger, chicken salad....what sounds good honey?"

I tell 'ya...if I had a stroller, I'd know what to do with it at that point! "Ramming Speed!"

:)

adriennek
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm just so glad that I don't have to be the first one on this thread to "defend" stroller drivers from being cut off. I've also been a wheelchair driver and accompanied people on ECVs. Same thing happens to them. I've had my friends in strollers STEPPED on by people climbing over their wheelchairs because they DARED to be in someone else's way.

We're all there to enjoy DLR.

Adrienne