PDA

View Full Version : What is the Tiki Room?

Pages : [1] 2

Poptart
05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
It's shameful to admit, after all these years of going to DLR, I've never been in the Tiki Room. What is it and might my 15 month old like it?
Is it air conditioned?

bradk
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
it's a ~15 minute show of over 100 small animatronic birds, flowers and tiki idols that primarily sing songs. i believe it's air conditioned (it's certainly cool inside compared to outside). as to whether a 15 month old would appreciate it, i can see how it might go either way, so i really don't have a clue.

you can always opt to leave during the performance if you need to though. i would just do the courtesy of sitting close to the exit door which is opposite the one you come in through.

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I would think a 15 month old would like all of the birds singing and joking. Maybe the rain/thunder sequence might scare them, but I would guess not.

I love the Tiki Room!

Now that song is stuck in my head:

"In the tiki tiki tiki room..." :rolleyes: ;)

Poptart
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks Brad and MrsPooh
I think he might like it and me too if it's a/c'd.

geoffa
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh! "I Heart Disneyland", where are you when such a question as this is being asked?

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
It is ac'd! Great place to take a break!

ETA: Do you guys think it is ok for a 15 month old? I am trying to remember if there are any scary bits. I didn't take Piglet on it when he was that little, it was down for a big rehab then. He liked it when he was young, now he thinks it is boring and goes on it to humor mom! :rolleyes:

DianeM
05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
The only remotely scary part is a bit of thunder and lights dimming, followed by loud bird singing. We took my nephew when he was about 8 months, and he was fine. It's a great show for kids, actually, because you can take food inside and feed them during the show.

It is ac'd! Great place to take a break!

ETA: Do you guys think it is ok for a 15 month old? I am trying to remember if there are any scary bits. I didn't take Piglet on it when he was that little, it was down for a big rehab then. He liked it when he was young, now he thinks it is boring and goes on it to humor mom! :rolleyes:

bradk
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
it's just possible that the animatronics in general can scare some kids. add to it the last number with the drums and all that. i just think it can go either way.

Frogberto
05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
My 14 month old likes it. He sometimes moves back and forth to the music, but mostly looks up to the ceiling in revered awe at the flowers and birds all singing in tune together. A must see if you've never seen it before.

Werner
05-24-2006, 12:10 PM
The best seats in the house: the back benches -- much more comfy than the chairs. And you can always stretch out for a little power Tiki nap in the cool darkness!

disneyperson
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Most toddlers love the Tiki Room. It's a wonderful place to take a nice break and enjoy a true Disneyland classic at the same time.
I also recommend the back row. Comfy. Don't forget to get a dole whip.

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Tiki nap? Tiki nap? Oh, the horrors! ;) :D

Poptart
05-24-2006, 12:23 PM
If we can take Dole Whips in, then sold!!!!

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Don't forget to get a dole whip.

Ah, she is ever so right. Make sure it is a dole whip, not a dole float! :~D ;)

disneyperson
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Tiki nap? Tiki nap? Oh, the horrors! ;) :D
I have a wonderful photo of Zero from two summers ago all curled up in the corner of the Tiki room. sound asleep. She swears she was just "resting her eyes" yeah, uh huh.

Tiki Nap, don't knock it until you've tried it.:D

hbquikcomjamesl
05-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Dole Whips? Aren't they the S&M toys Bob and Elizabeth Dole keep in their bedroom?

Seriously, though, there's a Wikipedia article on the Tiki Room. It was the very first Audio-Animatronic show ever built.

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a wonderful photo of Zero from two summers ago all curled up in the corner of the Tiki room. sound asleep. She swears she was just "resting her eyes" yeah, uh huh.

Tiki Nap, don't knock it until you've tried it.:D

:D I just meant, isn't it sacrilege to sleep during the tiki birds singing? :D :D ;)

disneyperson
05-24-2006, 01:48 PM
:D I just meant, isn't it sacrilege to sleep during the tiki birds singing? :D :D ;)
Nope. I've done it and they don't seem to mind at all.:D
It is sacrilege to nap on the HM.

I Heart Disneyland!
05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Oh! "I Heart Disneyland", where are you when such a question as this is being asked?

Hahahha! I think I am still stunned by the question!!! :p

MrsPooh
05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Hahahha! I think I am still stunned by the question!!! :p

I am still stunned by your avatar.......*sigh*

Where was I? Oh yeah! It is sacrilige to nap on HM, as it is sacrilige to nap on POTC. :~D

Jungle Cruise.....hmmm.....maybe. I'd have to get back to you on that one! :~D ;)

You could have napped back on the Adventures Thru Innerspace ride, but me, I was making out! :eek: :D ;)

Sorry I derailed! ;)

TikiGeek
05-24-2006, 02:14 PM
It's shameful to admit, after all these years of going to DLR, I've never been in the Tiki Room. I almost fell off of my upper perch! :D

Enter The Mouse
05-24-2006, 02:15 PM
The dole whips you can buy out front are the best.

adriennek
05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
My 2-year-old thinks that the Tiki Room is the greatest thing on earth.

That said, my eldest at that age wasn't as keen on it. It does get loud. I suggest putting your hands over your son's ears, especially for the war chant section, at least until you're sure he's cool with it. And as others have said, you can leave if you need to.

FYI: The exit is exactly in the opposite corner diagonal from the entrance. (It's a square shaped room.) I suggest heading towards the exit and finding a seat near there. It's usually the less crowded section of the theater so you'll have lots of seats to choose from, plus you'll be close if you need to leave.

Adrienne

Poptart
05-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone and for the seating suggestions for a tired pg mom. I see the weather is going to be cool at DLR though for Memorial weekend.
TikiGeek - I knew my post would offend someone. :P
Hope you survived the fall from your perch.

Is everyone sure we can bring food in? I'm buying my Dole Whip first - - hope the CM doesn't make me choose...

charpaul
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
They are happy to let you take your Tiki treats into the Tiki room with you - they just ask that when you leave, you take your Tiki trash out with you too!:D

Enjoy your DoleWhip or DoleFloat (I like the pineapple juice..) in the A/C comfort of the Enchanted Tiki Room!!!