PDA

View Full Version : Dining issues - and the crystal ball

olegc
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
So I read with great interest David Koenig's article on the CM rumors. Aladdin's oasis was interesting (I wonder how Tahitian Terrace did with only one exit - but that was so long ago) but I was more interested in the RiverBell Terrace topic..

Is it just me, or do I hear the words "table service" and "upscale" VERY often these days. I know that Matt, Greg, and Co. want to improve the guest experience in all areas - including dining - but making many restaurants table service - in such a small place like DLAND compared to WDW - does not bode well for the guest who wants a variety of quick-serv meals throughout their stay. What's next - DisneyDining all over the park (must phone in).

Think of it - Cafe Orleans - upscale, table service. Riverbell - upscale, table service (and remove bengal barbecue). I can guess the reason these locations are getting spruced up is to charge more for Fantasmic seating (although Cafe orleans is not that good of a location). However, what's next - removing the fry carts for upscale snacking? (oh yeah, and Harbor Galley is still listed as Quick Service, but Conastoga Fries is snacks. go figure). this will leave only three spread out locations for casual dining on the westside and only TWO for quick service (no, I am not counting ODV). The three include French Market, Rancho, and Hungry Bear (which is not open late). then Stage Door Cafe and the for supposed fast service (have you seen the lines lately).

When you go to the dining locations list for Disneyland (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/listing?name=DisneylandParkDiningListingPage) - it's a nice long list - but how many of those places are open all the time? I have not seen La Petite or Mint Julep bar open in a while, The Enchanted Cottage was promising then they closed the Snow White show, and the Toontown locations are hit and miss.

In another thread I had posted an idea of placing a buffeteria table area along the old MOtorboat Cruise area - you can get pond and parade views, the matterhorn going by, etc. I sent it to Disney but you know how they are with the public submitting ideas

without knowing plans for additional dining in the park it seems reducing the choices to more ODV or upscale makes me think of how the US's public chasm is growing in the same way. Haves and have-nots. I know - way over the top speculation - but you have to wonder..

Thoughts?

hlbtimes2
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
There is also the Royal Street Veranda. mmmmm, chowder.

I think it depends on where the pricing ends up. Carnation Cafe is full service, and their pricing is about the same as most of the walk up counters. And its pretty quick to get in and out of there, if you have PS. I think if they can hold the pricing close to what it currently is at French market and River Bell, then having them be full service will be great. I just hope they dont all end up being price like Blue Bayou. The only other concern I have is, having to book all my meals in advance. I hate having to plan and make PS. We typically can get PS for Carnation the day of, with a quick phone call in the AM.

In reality, it takes almost as long to eat at some of the walk up counters as it does to eat at a full service place. The last couple trips to hungry bear and River Bell have taken FOREVER to get through the lines- and they werent long lines!

Rhiannon8404
05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure I have ever been at Disneyland when Cafe Orleans has been open. At least not the last several years we've been. So if whether it reopens as table service or not doesn't really bother me. I'd like to see maybe a total of 4 table service restaurants in DL and fewer cafeteria style (where you walk around with your tray, like Pizza Port) restaurants. The table service restaurants don't have to be "fine dining". I just like to be able to sit down and be served my meal. And maybe if there were more than just Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe, those two wouldn't be so crowded all the time.

olegc
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
There is also the Royal Street Veranda. mmmmm, chowder.
In reality, it takes almost as long to eat at some of the walk up counters as it does to eat at a full service place. The last couple trips to hungry bear and River Bell have taken FOREVER to get through the lines- and they werent long lines!

yeah - I was thinking about the veranda but forgot to write it down..

well you framed one of my points better. It's not necessarily about price all the time - it can be about availability - and as you can see even now some places take forever. Will that trend continue? hard to say since right now with the staffing shortage/new staff the food services take longer.

but with Cafe orleans becoming the Blue Bayou for the rest of us (similar menu items, table service) I just wonder... If RiverBelle became a half and half - upstairs table service and downstairs buffeteria - THAT would be cool.

Frogberto
05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
I think full service dining is both what the public wants, and serves a need that way, and is also an incentive for dining to be more efficient in Disneyland.

With self service, or buffeteria style restaurants, the cooks, or the cashier, doesn't have any incentive to be efficient. They only have to deal with the person in front of them at the moment. With table service, however, diners get to rest their feet the moment they sit down, and they feel better once their order gets taken, even if it takes longer.

From the server's point of view, you'll make more in tips if you can either get people with a large order, or have higher turn-over, so there's no incentive to let tables to empty too long.

Likewise, from the restaurant's point of view, getting people fed and on their way is the incentive aligned with profit most.

I'm tired of waiting in long lines for self service food in Disneyland and DCA. Everyone gripes, and it takes way too long at Bengal BBQ, or Cocina Cucamonga, or the Riverbelle Terrance, to get fed. On the other hand, I've seen people happy as can be at the Blue Bayou, or at the Carnation Cafe.

Ideally, we'd have both, or even a take out window at each full service restaurant. Given the choice, I'd put more full service in, however. It's just good for guests and good for the park.

AVP
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Disneyland definitely needs more dining options, and it might help to keep the locations open later during extended park hours. I can't count the number of times we've left property altogether to have dinner 1) because the in-park locations were jammed or 2) because the in-park locations were closed.

AVP