PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* How 'bout November?

disneychick
05-23-2006, 09:45 PM
You guys have been so helpful, I'm really hoping you can help me again :) ...

We've been planning a trip to DL for September - the plan was to get there before all the 50th celebrations were over. The problem is we're using AirMiles for our flights, and after absolute ages on the phone today....we're now going in November. We had the option to go with mid-October, but threads about the AZ/UT fall breaks had me worried about busier than average crowds. Not wanting to travel over Halloween or over the US Thanksgiving holiday, we've settled on November 10th (arriving late) - November 18th. Can anyone tell me what the crowds might be like during this time? I didn't realize until after I'd booked that the Friday we arrive is Veteran's Day....we don't get into LAX until 10pm, but I'm thinking that whole weekend might be really busy?

It's too late for me to change anything now, and we'll make the best of whatever the situation, but I'd really love some feedback of what to expect. I've searched for November, but a lot of threads mention either early, early November, or the time after Thanksgiving - I'm really hoping for some info about the middle of the month.

(As an aside - does anyone know if Airport Bus...or another bus service...picks up from LAX that late at night?)

Thanks (again!!! :) )

DianeM
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't think it will be too bad. Keep in mind that Veteran's Day is not universally celebrated in the U.S. My company doesn't give it to us as a paid holiday, and they are pretty generous regarding days off. It sounds like you'll have a nice long trip, so a few weekend crowds won't be too much of a problem. Enjoy.

acpalmer
05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
I would agree with DianeM that Veteran's Day is not widely celebrated with a day off. I have worked in schools for eleven years and I've never once had that day off for a long weekend (and we even get Columbus Day off--who celebrates that anymore?). Anyway, although banks and post offices are usually closed on that day, it's rare that anything else is. Even our state government offices are open that day here (not in CA, so it may be different there). Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about Veteran's Day as a major crowd inducing holiday.

Monte Cristo
05-24-2006, 07:42 AM
You guys have been so helpful, I'm really hoping you can help me again :) ...

We've been planning a trip to DL for September - the plan was to get there before all the 50th celebrations were over. The problem is we're using AirMiles for our flights, and after absolute ages on the phone today....we're now going in November. We had the option to go with mid-October, but threads about the AZ/UT fall breaks had me worried about busier than average crowds. Not wanting to travel over Halloween or over the US Thanksgiving holiday, we've settled on November 10th (arriving late) - November 18th. Can anyone tell me what the crowds might be like during this time? I didn't realize until after I'd booked that the Friday we arrive is Veteran's Day....we don't get into LAX until 10pm, but I'm thinking that whole weekend might be really busy?

It's too late for me to change anything now, and we'll make the best of whatever the situation, but I'd really love some feedback of what to expect. I've searched for November, but a lot of threads mention either early, early November, or the time after Thanksgiving - I'm really hoping for some info about the middle of the month.

Well, allow me to allay your fears:

You have picked the PERFECT time to go, IMHO. My family has gone to DL mid-November each of the last 3 years to kick off the holidays. You get the entire park decked out for the season, including the tree on Main Street, but none of the holiday crowds. HMH and IASWH are running. The longest we've ever had to wait for a ride on these trips is maybe 25 minutes (milage may vary on that one, obviously ;) ). During the mornings, everything is virtually walk on.

And did I mention that the park looks beautiful decked out for Christmas?

Have no fears - you guys are going to fall in love with this trip and if you can afford it/swing it you WILL try to book mid-November as much as you can. I know we already have our hotels reserved. :~D

sandiegorob
05-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, if Veteran's Day this year is anything like last years, be prepared for massive crowds on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They closed the gates last V Day and stopped selling tickets. Saturday wasn't any better. Sunday wasn't too bad but still at summer levels. The rest of the week was quiet so you should be fine. I'm a glutton for punishment and I plan to go Veteran's Day weekend again this year.

Wendi
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
November is my favorite time to go... I've gotta warn you though, last year Veteran's Day was PACKED... they had closed the gates at Disneyland to new arrivals before noon and I hadn't expected that at all. They were still allowing guests to enter DCA though, and we were able to hop back over to DL in the afternoon without any problems. Just be aware that it could be a very busy day again this year and you might want to plan on getting bigger attractions out of the way on other days.