PDA

View Full Version : Food... eating it, cooking it and finding it!

hickorydickory
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I am planning on going to DL in late november/early december and need some info!

Where can I buy organic & alternative foods (kamut pasta, sprouted grains and that sort of thing)?
Which hotels have kitchens?
Are they walking distance?
How long does it take to park your car and get to the front gates...and the return voyage to your vehicle?
If they (the hotel) have a microwave & fridge but no actual kitchen is it ok (not against any bylaws) for me to use my own slow cooker or hotplate? What would the hotel DO if I did and they caught me?

Oh maybe a little history on me would help.....I have a many food allergies and need to cook my own food and usually from scratch. I can not eat wheat, corn (including glucose or cornstarch), rice, eggs, oranges, apples,...blah blah blah...you get the picture.

I plan on bringing in snacks and will probably need to leave the park to have lunch and then just go back for a late dinner. I can eat most salads (oh joy
:rolleyes: ) and chocolate is ok:D so I wont starve.

now for some more questions

How far in advance do I need to book?
Can I go to a restaurant in the park with my family and have them reheat my food ( I don't mind paying a fee) or do I have to be stuck eating salad?

Frogberto
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I am planning on going to DL in late november/early december and need some info!

You bet!

Where can I buy organic & alternative foods (kamut pasta, sprouted grains and that sort of thing)?

Whole Foods, Henry's, and at some smaller stores!

Which hotels have kitchens?

All of them! How do you think they cook the food for their restaurants?

Are they walking distance?

From where? If from the parks, then yes!

How long does it take to park your car and get to the front gates...and the return voyage to your vehicle?

Depends on what time of day, or what day, you go! Sundays it takes me about 20 minutes to park, take the tram, and get to the front gates.

QUOTE=hickorydickory]If they (the hotel) have a microwave & fridge but no actual kitchen is it ok (not against any bylaws) for me to use my own slow cooker or hotplate? [/QUOTE]

Oh wow. Duh. Now I get your question. Usually, hotels that are "suites" have kitchens. There are several in the area, and you can search on Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc., to find hotels with kitchens. Usually you can use your own equipment, from blow dryers to coffee makers, without violating any laws at all.

QUOTE=hickorydickory]What would the hotel DO if I did and they caught me?[/QUOTE]

Oh you don't want to know. That's why security carries those latex gloves.

Can I go to a restaurant in the park with my family and have them reheat my food ( I don't mind paying a fee) or do I have to be stuck eating salad?

You can eat salad if you like, but the child care center, and the first aid stations, in both parks, have microwaves for you to use.

Poptart
05-23-2006, 06:07 PM
The Residence Inn by Marriott has two locations nearby Disney. The one on S. Clementine is on the ART and walking distance, not sure about the other. Residence Inn's have full kitchens. Full size fridg, dishwasher, oven, stove, microwave, sink, etc.

MammaSilva
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
We've stayed at the Tropicana several times in recent months and they have full kitchen units available and they are very nice. the room has a mini microwave and mini fridge then the kitchen has a small but 'full' stove, 3 burners and an oven, counter space to hold a slow cooker if you brought your own but there isn't one provided. They do have a toaster in the kitchen and a small set of cookware that I'd call first apartment/college level (aka cheap) quality but serviceable for sure. The kitchen has a bigger fridge in addition to the mini fridge in the room. As for location, it's two driveways from the crosswalk to the resort.

hickorydickory
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys.
How far (from the park) are the health food stores?