PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Disney Transportation to your best advantage?

BCmomof3
05-23-2006, 12:01 PM
How have you used the railroad and monorail as transportation in Disneyland? Are there any "tricks" like using the railroad to get to mainstreet for the pardade or to get to adventureland for fantasmic etc....
When is it better to walk and when is it better to ride?

I am trying to get a "feel" about how it all works and what works best when....

sorry about all the questions ....I am getting just a wee bit excited..... check my clock!

Frogberto
05-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow, more questions. In my experience, it's always a tradeoff of energy versus time. By "energy", I mean the physical energy that you spend walking.

For both the Monorail and the Railroad, it's actually faster to walk, since the stops for loading and unloading take up valuable time. When your feet are tired, you will be more than willing to expend time for a recharge of your energy, however.

It takes at LEAST 25 minutes for the Disneyland train to make a full circle, not including delays or boarding time. It takes 12 to 15 minutes for the monorail to board and get to your destination. In that time, you can usually walk to wherever you need to go (using your energy, of course).

CariBelle
05-23-2006, 12:09 PM
We don't really use the train as "traditional" transportation (since we usually ride in a full circle), we just treat it as another attraction.

BCmomof3
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Thank-you....It is hard to remember how "big" DL is and I don't know how big CA is so I just don't have a good perspective as to how long it takes to walk anywhere. I also don't have a good "feel" as to how crowded the "crowds" are if you know what I mean....
I am from a small BC town.... so I am really out of my League....
But we are all good at walking (we love to hike) so that will probably be our best bet for most of our trip.

bradk
05-23-2006, 12:16 PM
the monorail itself is really an attraction. it can be useful for guests staying at the DLH, but one thing I've experienced is if the park opens at 9, they will allow guests through the turnstiles at 8:30 and up Main Street for the rope drop at 9, but the monorail doesn't start running until 9, so it actually places you at somewhat of a disadvantage. it is worth setting some time aside for though, especially if you can ride in the front/back car.

the train takes 20 minutes to cycle, mind you it makes 3 stops along the way which all cost a few minutes, but as transportation, you aren't really taking it all the way around. I've actually found it convenient to get to NOS over walking for example. *but* (and this is a big but) that also depends on whether the train is already at the station or if you're waiting for it.

you definitely should take the train all the way around at least once though, particularly between Tomorrowland and Main Street so you can see the dioramas.

Leap for Joy
05-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Any time Main Street is very crowded, like for a parade or the fireworks, I choose the train. Other times, it just depends on my energy level.

momuvseven
05-23-2006, 01:16 PM
We prefer to walk but when we are all tired it is fun to make a circle on the train and scope out the park to see what the crowds are doing. By the time we get off we are rested and will walk to where we want to go. We don't ever use it as transportation.

The last time we took the Monorail the advantage was that we could bypass the crowd and security leaving and re-entering the park. It was also very hot that day so it was nice that we didn't have to walk. We used to just take it for fun and go the full circle.

Canadiana Jones
05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
During Parade and Fireworks time is the best time to use the train as transportation to the other lands. Sometimes, it may become a necessity due to the difficulty in manouvering around large crowds. As already stated above, using the train will save your feet, but at times, it will also save your mind the stress of dealing with crowds and not so polite people.

tod
05-23-2006, 02:02 PM
How have you used the railroad and monorail as transportation in Disneyland? Are there any "tricks" like using the railroad to get to mainstreet for the pardade or to get to adventureland for fantasmic etc....
When is it better to walk and when is it better to ride?

I am trying to get a "feel" about how it all works and what works best when....

sorry about all the questions ....I am getting just a wee bit excited..... check my clock!

Disneyland is not dependent on transportation devices.

The Monorail is for getting to and from the Disneyland Hotel. Period. There are no other stops. It is also a pleasant ride, when it is fully functioning, which it hasn't been for the last a few months while they are working in the Submarine Lagoon.

The train can be used as a shortcut (I particularly like it as a quick way to New Orleans Square) but the Tomorrowland and New Orleans Square stations often have long lines.

To prepare for the 9:30 fireworks, the trains stop dead at about 9:00. I'm not sure if there are any "tricks" that can help you to get a front-row seat to the Main Street parades or to Fantasmic! on the Rivers of America.

Hope this helps.

--t