PDA

View Full Version : Concierge at Grand Californian

AliCat
05-23-2006, 09:45 AM
I will be staying at the Grand Californian for the first time in the beginning of June and am considering upgrading to concierge. I will be there with my best friend and my 3 kids (8,11,15), dh is staying home this time. I think it's $150 more a night to upgrade. Any advice from those that have stayed there and had concierge would be great. We have done concierge at the DLH in the past and it's hard to stay there without it now, so just trying to decide. Thanks again.

SeansMom
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
If you can afford it, why not? It will make your trip that much more special. If money is an issue, than just order room service for breakfast every day, and call it good. You'll save a bundle, and still be in a great hotel and a great location!

AliCat
05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for responding. I've just been going back and reading some older posts on the subject too and I think we may end up doing it and seeing how it goes.

Cat H
05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I just came back from a three night concierge level stay at the GCH. The convenience of having water and soda available all the time was great and the breakfast items were outstanding. The evening wine reception was not that impressive-they were out of the hot appetizers by 6pm and never brought out more. The afternoon snacks and were nice. If I had the money I would do it again.

Opus1guy
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Here's a little video (requires Windows Media Player for PC or Macs) that I made and posted for another MousePadder last year, that will give you a taste of the Lounge.

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/gchconciergelounge.wmv

:)

AliCat
05-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks Cat H for your experience. I am definitely leaning towards trying to upgrade. Did you find the lounge overly crowded when you visited?

Thanks also to Opus1guy, the video was really helpful. It looks like a nice lounge area and the seats outside are a nice touch as well.

Cat H
05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
AliCat-It was crowded on Sunday but not at all on Monday and Tuesday. There were more people in the mornings and evenings. Afternoons were almost empty.

stan4d_steph
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
You might want to check out this recent article on concierge (link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060228ar)).

Also, a search in this forum on concierge will yield other recent threads on the subject.

oohykitten
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
can you take a few sodas and head to the park? Or is it one and only one person? Also what is the breakfast like?

kohl
05-23-2006, 12:28 PM
We ended up staying concierge in the GCH last December at the last minute. I know what you mean that it is hard not to stay concierge every time.
We LOVED it! I heard the breakfast items are the same, except maybe different bagel choices. They have their afternoon tea and they serve finger sandwiches, fresh fruit, and the BEST chocolate covered strawberries. They were HUGH!!!!! My son and I ate our fill and more. They also have the usual drinks. They told us you can always ask for a PB & J sandwich, yogurt or banana. They have them in the back. (My daughter got a PB & J sandwich every tea time) For the wine and cheese hour they had a hot appetizer, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip and PB & J sandwiches. They looked like the uncrustables, but I think they were made fresh. For the desserts, they always had the chocolate chip cookies and Mickey Mouse macaroons that had the ears dipped in chocolate. They were soooooo good! They also had other desserts that would change every night.
It was never that crowded when we went. We also didn't spend much money on food the whole trip! We figured that we spent around the same amount staying there and eating there than if we stayed in a regular room and bought food.
We are going to stay concierge at the DLH this August (I know, we should have stayed there first, than done the GCH!) so I would love to hear how it is there. How is it watching the fireworks from the DLH lounge?

AliCat
05-23-2006, 12:51 PM
stan4d_steph - Thanks for the article link, it was very helpful. I had also done a search after I already posted, I appreciate the older posts and also the more recent ones in this thread. Thanks again.

Cat H - Thanks for the information on the crowds. We will be there on a Monday-Thursday, so hopefully it won't be too bad if we decide to do it.

kohl - Great report on your experience there! Thanks for info!

Cat H
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
oohy-kitten: I was able to take 2 waters and two sodas out of the concierge lounge each time I went. The breakfast was great! The best blueberry muffins I have ever had and fresh squeezed orange juice and bagels and tons of fruit.

oohykitten
05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks, I know I had a horrible trip, but I will believe it was a fluke! LOL Now that our wedding is booked at the GCH I am more curious to know all the details to make sure my guests have the best time.

SeansMom
05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Another question: Is there any protein served at breakfast? Hard boiled eggs, maybe, or some such thing? If not...anybody know if they have a blender handy?

kisroo
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Beware!!! Once you stay concierge, it's hard to go back!!

At least it is has been for me. Now, I'd rather wait a few more months or go once a year rather than twice, if we can stay at the GCH concierge.

I loved concierge level for the lounge, the ease of breakfast and the snacks, the video check out, the wine/cheese times. Watching fireworks on the balcony. Having the staff work out reservations for us...even when they were messy!! It goes on and on.

I agree with others~if you can afford it, do it.

And have a wonderful time!

~kisroo:)

kohl
05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
They didn't have any protein items available. My husband is brining some protein shakes for our next trip. Not sure about the blender. Never asked.
I would love to hear about anyone's experience staying at the DLH concierge.
Is the food much different? How is watching the fireworks from the lounge?
Thanks!

AliCat
05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
They didn't have any protein items available. My husband is brining some protein shakes for our next trip. Not sure about the blender. Never asked.
I would love to hear about anyone's experience staying at the DLH concierge.
Is the food much different? How is watching the fireworks from the lounge?
Thanks!
We have done DLH concierge 3 times I believe. The food sounds pretty much the same as the others. You get various pastries, bagels, fruit, cereal, oatmeal (I think) in the morning. Chips, cookies, soda, water, juice available throughout the day. A few hot items and cheeses/crackers during the cocktail time. Fireworks are very nice from the lounge, they pipe in the music and turn off all the lights and open the windows to cut down on glare. You don't see the effects on the castle of course, but it's still a nice alternative.