PDA

View Full Version : Trying to avoid the fall break crowd in Oct

Carter's Mommy
05-23-2006, 09:14 AM
We usually make two trips a year, one in Feb-March and one in Oct. Last year the park was so crowded during our October visit and we want to try to avoid that this year. We are going to go Sunday-Wednesday but have not decided on dates. Any help on when fall breaks are or when to avoid would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

mommy-san
05-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Well, if this helps we were there last October 9th -11th. INSANELY busy. We were there because that is when our Thanksgiving (in canada) falls. Alot of other Canadians were staying in our hotel, so I'm guessing the parks were full of 'em. It was slightly less busy on the 11th, Tuesday. Monday was also a holiday for some area schools. We went back in February and the crowds were much better, but still bigger than we expected.

OldDisneyFan
05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Talking about a different week, we were there Oct 16-21 and the crowds were not bad at all. We were able to walk on most rides (except for Space, Soarin' and Screamin' ) The first part of the week was rainy, so see if you can arrange that! Being from the Northwest, we didn't care at all about the rain. Of course, we hadn't been there in many years (since well before DCA) and we were so excited that maybe we just didn't care!!:)

Have fun!

hlbtimes2
05-23-2006, 11:50 AM
We were there Oct 12-17. It was CRAZY busy. Its hard to say what this year will be like. The 50th should be about done by then, based on recent reports. But, if Disney decideds to throw a couple more weeks on, and stretch it out to the origanal end date, you might get big crowds. Heck there might be big crowds because of the people that have waited for the celebration to end, in order to avoid the crowds! I would plan in it being busy, and if its nice you'll have a even more wonderful trip!

tinker3
05-23-2006, 12:56 PM
A lot of Arizona schools have either the 2nd or 3rd week off for Fall break, some even have both weeks off. I think we contribute to a lot of the Oct. crowds. My guess would be either the 1st or last week of Oct. will be the quietest! Good luck and Enjoy!

losaitkens
05-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi! We are in AZ and attend a year round school. We have 3 weeks off in the fall (Sept 24th- October 15th). LOTS of us plan our vacations during this time and I know tons of people who head to California during this break. If you can make your plans for the week of 10/16-10/23 you might be okay though I have heard October is becoming harder and harder to predict. Good luck!

junglemom
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
We were there Oct 12-17. It was CRAZY busy. Its hard to say what this year will be like. The 50th should be about done by then, based on recent reports. But, if Disney decideds to throw a couple more weeks on, and stretch it out to the origanal end date, you might get big crowds. Heck there might be big crowds because of the people that have waited for the celebration to end, in order to avoid the crowds! I would plan in it being busy, and if its nice you'll have a even more wonderful trip!
OMG Linda...I was there then too! We must have matching mustgotoDisneyland clocks built in too us. How funny One of these times, we will see each other. We may just have to plan it!

When we went all the year round Tucson kids were there as stated by losaitkens. Definitely plan away from that break.

mousemom
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm in Arizona too and have fall break right in the middle of the month. I don't know of any year round or traditional schools around here that break at the end of October so I'd try later in the month.

disney jones
05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
We live in Phoenix and our Fall break is typical for the rest of the state - this October, its Oct 9 - 13th, so that's the week to avoid being over run by Arizonies.

Dr. G
05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
By way of info: All Utah schools are out for the Utah Education Association (UEA) break on October 12 & 13. I know a lot of people from Utah head to Disneyland over UEA (also known as "Utahns Escape to Anaheim"). Plus, Columbus Day is Oct 9th--I don't know if that affects crowds too or not.

Carter's Mommy
05-24-2006, 09:02 AM
How Funny! We were there Oct 12-16 last year too. It was pretty busy. Like I said, we usually go every Oct and were really surprised by the crowds last year. We will try for the first or last week of October. I noticed that Yom Kippur is Oct 2 and we heard that was a busy time for DLR, anyone know? Thanks for all the feedback!

The old man
05-24-2006, 10:34 AM
We live in Phoenix and our Fall break is typical for the rest of the state - this October, its Oct 9 - 13th, so that's the week to avoid being over run by Arizonies.
As we know in San Diego stay off the roads--Zonies are often not the best drivers.;)

David

hlbtimes2
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
OMG Linda...I was there then too! We must have matching mustgotoDisneyland clocks built in too us. How funny One of these times, we will see each other. We may just have to plan it!

That is so funny! I think we are looking at next March or May for our next trip. We liked March a lot, but the low crowds of May were really nice too. We would like to catch the new Nemo ride, so it kind of depends on that as well.

tinker3
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
As we know in San Diego stay off the roads--Zonies are often not the best drivers.;)

David
Yikes, sad but true. I just finished driving school:confused: a couple weeks ago and we were top of the list Nation wide for red light running. Although Cal. was not far behind.;)

sandiegorob
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM

David

I remember the days (not too long ago) when we used to say "Zonies go home, but leave your women". Now that I' older it's swithed to "visit often, spend frequently, but watch where you're going"

Back on topic. I moved the trip up last year for that same time period 13-16 and boy was I surprised at the attendance levels. We go around the same time every year and find it quite pleasant crowd-wise, we were shocked last year.

disney jones
05-24-2006, 07:14 PM
most of us Arizonans are native Californians. :p

doombuggy driver
05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
most of us Arizonans are native Californians. :p
That just isn't true! All of my friends are natives and proud of it. We went last October 10th and it was not crowded at all. We walked on to most rides and enjoyed the wonderful CA weather! It is still 90 degrees in AZ so any time you can get away from that heat is GREAT!

Leslie21
05-24-2006, 11:35 PM

David

:D :D 'Tis true... however, I also stay off the road when my fellow San Diegans drive in the rain...talk about a hazard ;)

ArielleBelle
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
We are thinking about a couple different weeks in October which one sound the best to everyone. Thanks!

Week 1 October 9th - 13th

Week 2 October 16th - 20th

Also which hotel right around main gate entrance does everyone prefer? We have stayed in the tropicana before.

GrumpyUTboi
06-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Doesn't matter, they will both be the same in respects to crowd levels, open times, weather conditions.

stan4d_steph
06-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Also which hotel right around main gate entrance does everyone prefer? We have stayed in the tropicana before.There are numerous threads on this topic in this forum. Leading hotels are typically Howard Johnson's (HoJos) and Candycane Inn. Check out the MousePlanet Review Database also for reader reviews on neighbor hotels.