PDA

View Full Version : Newbies itinerary- What do you think?

BCmomof3
05-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Well this is our tentative plan......let me know what you think. We arrive May 26 late.
Saturday (May 27)go to DL and then to CA for the Aladin show, and Electric light parade and back to DL for late fantasmic (tell me if I am crazy). I decided on Sat. because the children (14, 11, 8) will not be happy until they've been in DL (they have never been before) at least once.

Sunday go to the beach (the children want to see BIG waves).
Monday go to DL. We have PS for Ariels Grotto in CA for 5:30. Go back to DL for fireworks.

Tuesday (May 30) do EE. Spend the day doing everything again or for the first time. See Billy Hill and the hillbillies (my 8 yr. old fiddles!).

Weds. Get a Birthday sticker for 11 yr.old son. He will be 12 on June 3. Enjoy rides for last time. Have to leave at 3:00 to catch airport transfer at 5:30.
So it will be a teary eyed goodbye......

So do you think this is a good "plan"? Anything I should add or change?
There are so many wondeful Disney experts here! This has been the absolutely the best site fpr preparing our trip!!!!!!!

BCmomof3
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks again!

Frogberto
05-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting! Because that will be a very busy weekend, and because Sundays are generally half as busy as Saturdays, I think if I were you, I'd go to the beach on Saturday, and the parks on Sunday. You may find it difficult and tiring, also, to go from Disneyland, to California Adventure, and then back to Disneyland again, -- this may look great on paper, but it's quite a trek through crowds and lines at entrance gates each way. Also, since Disneyland and DCA take up 55 acres, this is a lot of walking, which is tough on the feet.

Both on your Saturday and Monday itinerary, (and your starting time has a lot to do with this), you may want to consider visiting DCA first, and then spending the last half of your day in Disneyland. Especially if you have PS 5:30 reservations for Ariel's Grotto, or want to see Aladdin, make sure you're in that park substantially ahead of time. It's no fun to rush through what will be huge crowds.

Make sure to build in time to rest also. A 2-3 hour break during long days to nap, spend time in the hotel pool, or just do nothing, can do wonders.

BCmomof3
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Do you think that is true for long weekends too? I mean that Sunday is less busy than Saturday? If that is the case I will definately switch the days (after I convince my family of course.....). I just want this to be such a special trip.....my children have been asking to go for years and it has been a long time (1987) since I was last there. And I am not scared to admit it. But I am a Disney nut and I want my children to love it as much as I do!

tinksmom
05-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I would go with my original plan, and go to DL on Saturday. It will be impossible to "be there" with little kids, imho, and not go. Make sure you get to the gates by 7:30 or so, do the rides you want to do most, first,grab a couple of fastpasses for later in the day, and then take Frog's advice and have a nice afternoon break.

Go ahead and sleep in on Sunday, and enjoy your day at the beach.

I would do EE on Monday morning, saving the Fantasyland rides for then. It will harder to get up early on the last day of your trip. Be in line by 7:40. Have a runner take all of your passes at regular opening time and get a fastpass Roger Rabbit (disconnected) and another ride you would like to see. Finish off the rides you want to do at DL by 9:30, and head to DCA. Go to Monster's Inc first. Enjoy the day at DCA. Head back to DL in the evenings.

Finish as you planned on Tuesday.

rentayenta
05-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Well this is our tentative plan......let me know what you think. We arrive May 26 late.
Saturday (May 27)go to DL and then to CA for the Aladin show, and Electric light parade and back to DL for late fantasmic (tell me if I am crazy). I decided on Sat. because the children (14, 11, 8) will not be happy until they've been in DL (they have never been before) at least once.

Sunday go to the beach (the children want to see BIG waves).
Monday go to DL. We have PS for Ariel's Grotto in CA at 5:30. Go back to DL.

Tuesday (May 30) do EE. Spend the day doing everything again or for the first time. See Billy Hill and the hillbillies (my 8 yr. old fiddles!).

Weds. Get a Birthday sticker for 11 yr.old son. He will be 12 on June 3. Enjoy rides for last time. Have to leave at 3:00 to catch airport transfer at 5:30.
So it will be a teary eyed goodbye......

So do you think this is a good "plan"? Anything I should add or change?
There are so many wondeful Disney experts here! This has been the absolutely the best site fpr preparing our trip!!!!!!!

Okay, mind if I disect a little? If the kids have never been that might be an awful lot of sit down time the first day. I would skip the Aladdin show. It's good but if they've seen the movie- it's not a must.

I love the beach idea on Sunday and then Ariel's at 5:30 for dinner on Monday. I might even save the EP for after dinner that night and just do Disneyland on Saturday. Maybe do DCA on Monday and then save Tuesday for Disneyland again. Make sure you see the fireworks on Saturday or Tuesday if you do my plan. ;)

The day you leave sounds great-let the kids do their favorites again.

Have fun!!!! :)

BCmomof3
05-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I really appreciate all your input!!!
I like the idea of only doing DL on Saturday but the EP is not on Monday! So Sat. is our only chance to see it. Aladin isn't on Monday either but it is on Weds, so we could see it then. My 14 yr old really wants to see it because her theater group maybe doing the same show next year.... Fireworks is on every night but Fantasmic is only on Sat., Sun., and Mon. Oh My! It is sooo complicated!
I don't think we can be up early on sat. because we won't be at our hotel until almost midnight on Friday! So we need to have a later start.
I thought we would try for a fast pass for Indy, see the Tiki room, Tarzan house, Haunted Mansion go to fantasy land and see it's a small world etc. See some of tomorrowland and then head over to CA for the Electric light parade. Perhaps having dinner at CA Hollywood. I would stay at CA after the parade but it closes soon afterwards so I might as well head back to DA.
Any more ideas?

05-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Any more ideas?

Skip the beach. Take it slower and easier at the DLR.

danyoung
05-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Do you think that is true for long weekends too? I mean that Sunday is less busy than Saturday? If that is the case I will definately switch the days (after I convince my family of course.....).

Yes, I agree that Sunday morning will be far less busy than Saturday. Just tell your kids that they can do much more stuff on Sunday than they can do on Saturday. They'll have just as much fun at the beach on Saturday with the excitement of looking forward to tomorrow at DL! And I disagree with my friend Frogberto about criss-crossing. It's not really that far between the parks, an easy 2 minute walk across the plaza. And depending on the lines at the turnstiles it should take no more than 10 minutes or so to get through. Seeing the ELP is a don't miss!!!

MileHighAko
05-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I'd do the beach on Monday. It's a holiday, might have bigger crowds than Sunday, and the park is open earlier/later on Sunday than it is on Monday. I'd make Monday your beach/rest day. You may need it after two packed days at the part.

Saturday start at DL when they first open, and migrate to DCA mid-morning. Stay there until evening and head back to DL. We did it that way last year and it wasn't too crowded.

At least that's what I'd do. :-) Have a good time. We'll be there starting Tuesday, so see you then!

BCmomof3
05-23-2006, 09:11 AM
We have to go Monday for PS at Ariel's Grotto at 5:30 (the only time that was still available). I could probably convince the children to go Sunday over Saturday though.
Are there any stats printed on line somewhere that I could use to bolster my case?
The family really wants to spend one day at the beach (I am favouring huntington) but I wouldn't mind spending the whole time at Disneyland....(the thought of figuring out the bus system to get me to the beach does not thrill me!). They also wanted to go to legoland (but I talked them out of that allready and convinced them to spend the extra day at DLR). So the result is we have a 4 day hopper.....it will have to do. I just wish it wasn't Memorial day weekend....but I didn't have a choice in that either. It was the only time my DH could go. The rest of the family (DH's siblings) are going August 19 (2 families with 4 kids (from 4 to 16 yrs old) and one grandmother) and they will have an extra day there but then my DH wouldn't beable to go.....so we decided now would have to do....I hope it won't be tooo busy.

Frogberto
05-23-2006, 11:02 AM
We have to go Monday for PS at Ariel's Grotto at 5:30 (the only time that was still available). I could probably convince the children to go Sunday over Saturday though.
Are there any stats printed on line somewhere that I could use to bolster my case?
The family really wants to spend one day at the beach (I am favouring huntington) but I wouldn't mind spending the whole time at Disneyland....(the thought of figuring out the bus system to get me to the beach does not thrill me!). They also wanted to go to legoland (but I talked them out of that allready and convinced them to spend the extra day at DLR). So the result is we have a 4 day hopper.....it will have to do. I just wish it wasn't Memorial day weekend....but I didn't have a choice in that either. It was the only time my DH could go. The rest of the family (DH's siblings) are going August 19 (2 families with 4 kids (from 4 to 16 yrs old) and one grandmother) and they will have an extra day there but then my DH wouldn't beable to go.....so we decided now would have to do....I hope it won't be tooo busy.

Regarding stats printed on line, check out the following site:

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

To quote: "Go to Californian Adventure on the weekend, and Disneyland on the weekday. TIP: If you have a Hopper Pass, visit Disneyland in the morning and night but cross over into the less crowded Californian Adventure in the peak of the days attendance."

You should also click on the "Time of Year" and "Time of Day" graphs, which have valuable information. You'll see how getting to the park as early as you can before they open is a great strategy. To quote again:

"Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the least busy days; Weekends can be twice as busy as weekdays; Saturdays are busier than Sundays; but
Long Weekends can be 3 times as busy! "

I think you will enjoy the beach, and it might be a nice break. Disney Resorts back to back can be tiring, but the more you plan, the better off you'll be.

Also, if you can, get the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, the book, or RideMax, the computer program. Both are great for making the most of your time, saving your feet, and avoiding waiting in line too much (which is no fun).

BCmomof3
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the quotes and links!
I took out the Unofficial guide from the library but the schedules just seem to be so much crossing the park back and forth.....and I am told that ridemax is similar.
So I want to be a little more "liesurely" on the crowded days and then hope that Tues. and Weds. are quiet enough that I don't have to run around then either.
I am planning to use a schedule on my EE day and when I can get there early and then take the wonderful suggestions for afternoon touring that I found here. But for the really crowded days I will just try and "manage".....which is whay I am asking for tips to "manage" the crowds....

findin mickeys
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
A lot of this depends on your energy level and how you handle crowds. Your kids are approximately the same ages as mine and we will open and close the parks every day we are there.

I suggest arriving to the gates about 20-30 minutes before the park opens. You will be one of the first in line and if you are there when it opens you usually can hit about 3-4 rides before the lines really start getting long. We will usually hit an anticipated long line ride first (Peter Pan, Indy, Space, Dumbo).

Go online and look at a park map. The official Disney site and others have nice descriptions of the attractions, look at those and see what are your must rides.

You need to do the Aladdin show. It is specatcular and if your child will be doing that play this summer, they must see it.

I know this is against what many state here, but my family never returns to our hotel for breaks and naps. There are plenty of places at DLR you can go for a rest break and still be enveloped in the Disney magic. Here is a list of great rest/break attractions:

Aladdin
Tiki Room
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (another must see, these guys are awesome)
50th anniversary show (in the Mr. Lincoln opera house)
Any of the 3D/4D movies
Innovations
Animation building (DCA, must see Turtle Talk with Crush)
Movie house on Main Street (Air conditioned and plays Mickey Mouse Cartoons)
Ride the train around the park (This is a good way to go from one end of DL to another if it is crowded or you are tired)
POTC used to be a favorite for a rest break but it will be down for the Johnny Depp refurb while you are there.

I suggest bringing a back pack to carry water bottles and snacks.

As was stated earlier, we usually hit DL from opening until it starts getting real crowded, like around 10:00-11:00. We then "hop" on over to DCA and spend the rest of the afternoon there. We will then return to DL around 8:00 or 9:00.

We also take walkie talkies so if my older children want to rides something my youngest does not like, we can split up and my wife or I can take the youngest to attractions he likes and the other can go with the older kids.

findin mickeys
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
A lot of this depends on your energy level and how you handle crowds. Your kids are approximately the same ages as mine and we will open and close the parks every day we are there.

I suggest arriving to the gates about 20-30 minutes before the park opens. You will be one of the first in line and if you are there when it opens you usually can hit about 3-4 rides before the lines really start getting long. We will usually hit an anticipated long line ride first (Peter Pan, Indy, Space, Dumbo).

Go online and look at a park map. The official Disney site and others have nice descriptions of the attractions, look at those and see what are your must rides.

You need to do the Aladdin show. It is specatcular and if your child will be doing that play this summer, they must see it.

I know this is against what many state here, but my family never returns to our hotel for breaks and naps. There are plenty of places at DLR you can go for a rest break and still be enveloped in the Disney magic. Here is a list of great rest/break attractions:

Aladdin
Tiki Room
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (another must see, these guys are awesome)
50th anniversary show (in the Mr. Lincoln opera house)
Any of the 3D/4D movies
Innovations
Animation building (DCA, must see Turtle Talk with Crush)
Movie house on Main Street (Air conditioned and plays Mickey Mouse Cartoons)
Ride the train around the park (This is a good way to go from one end of DL to another if it is crowded or you are tired)
POTC used to be a favorite for a rest break but it will be down for the Johnny Depp refurb while you are there.

I suggest bringing a back pack to carry water bottles and snacks.

As was stated earlier, we usually hit DL from opening until it starts getting real crowded, like around 10:00-11:00. We then "hop" on over to DCA and spend the rest of the afternoon there. We will then return to DL around 8:00 or 9:00.

We also take walkie talkies so if my older children want to rides something my youngest does not like, we can split up and my wife or I can take the youngest to attractions he likes and the other can go with the older kids.

You may want to skip the beach (unless you or your children have never been to one before). At least my family finds that once we are there, we have no desire to go to other places. You could go to the beach for half a day, then spend the evening in DLR. Disney at night is incredible!

Have a great time, sounds like you will have a blast. Tell us how it went when you return!

Frogberto
05-23-2006, 12:11 PM
...You need to do the Aladdin show. It is specatcular and if your child will be doing that play this summer, they must see it....

I have to agree 100% with this advice, no matter what you were told by others here. This is a VERY well produced show, and is a "must see" in my opinion. Make sure you do as many of these in California Adventure as you can:

1. Grizzly River Rapids;
2. Soarin' over California;
3. Aladdin;
4. A Bug's Life 3D movie (if operating);
5. California Screamin';
6. Animation Studio.

twist1980
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
The family really wants to spend one day at the beach (I am favouring huntington) but I wouldn't mind spending the whole time at Disneyland....(the thought of figuring out the bus system to get me to the beach does not thrill me!).

I love Huntington Beach! My Auntie and Uncle live there, so I spent part of every summer there while I was growing up!

Have you guys thought about renting a car for the day to get to the beach? It might be easier than trying to figure out buses! And think of how fun a convertible would be!