PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Portland to Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Sebastian
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
We are driving from Portland, Oregon to DL in August. I was wondering for those of you that have driven this down I-5 what is the speed limit? Does it turn 70 somewhere along the way?

Christy

hg0079
05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
if memory serves

Yes it does!

Enjoy the trip we are doing that stretch in August all the way through!

Sebastian
05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Do you know approximately where it turns to 70?

We are stopping somewhere part way down. We have 3 little ones and want a little break from driving. We are trying to estimate where we will be about 10 hours down with very limited stoppping if we leave around 9 or 9:30 in the morning from Portland. We have a hybrid and only estimate having to stop for gas once on the way down but we will also need a couple of potty breaks fro the little ones.

Christy

hg0079
05-22-2006, 12:44 PM
sorry I am not the driver...I always get to be "auntie in the back"

but you will probably be in or around sacramento

twist1980
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Sebastian, I am doing the drive from Seattle in June. If I can remember, I will watch out for where the speed limit changes!

splash
05-22-2006, 02:31 PM
If memory serves, the speed limit goes to 75? However, it has been my experience that once in California, there is no speed limit. We always end up doing 80+ just to keep up with traffic. We drove down from Longview Washington in April a couple years ago. It should be about a 16 hour trip for you.

Eighty8Keys
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
The last time we drove was October 2004. We left Portland at 5:30 AM and arrived in Santa Nella, CA exactly 11 hours later, where we planned to spend the night. It was 695 miles from Portland. We stopped for gas twice and at a couple of rest areas along the way to use the restroom keeping each stop to around 5 minutes. We had a cooler in the backseat packed with snacks so we didn't have to stop for meals. I would guess that at the 10 hour mark we were about 70 miles north of Santa Nella, maybe around Stockton.

Shadowcat
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
We just drove it last week and I believe it was 65 from Portland to the California State Line, and then 75 in California.

David&Emmy's Mom
05-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Hubby and I loaded the minivan with the grandparents and 7 year old twins and went to Disneyland for Spring Break March 24 thru 30. We left right after school, 3:30 p.m., and drove to Medford, about 6 hours from Portland, arriving about 9:30 p.m. The next day we left around 8 a.m. and made it to Anaheim around 8 p.m. There was HEAVY traffic once we hit LA, or we would have been there around 6 p.m.

My estimate is that 9 or 10 hours from Portland would put you at Sacramento. I don't like to stop there, as I think it is hard to get on and off the freeway there. I much prefer the town just north of the Sac airport, Woodland. That is where I would stop if I were you.

I remember we drove 75 or 80 mph the whole time in CA, except when in heavy LA traffic, and 70-75 mph in Oregon on the way home, 65-70 mph on the way down.

We had grandparents with us who would not get up in the morning, would need a MINIMUM of 30 minutes just for a potty stop, and an hour and a half for a meal break, so our times were definitely impacted by them. Sounds like your crew will be A LOT quicker!

Have a wonderful time on your trip.

disneyhound
05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
We just drove it last week and I believe it was 65 from Portland to the California State Line, and then 75 in California.
55 MPH in the Medford, Oregon area (couple miles)...

Shadowcat
05-23-2006, 07:56 AM
55 MPH in the Medford, Oregon area (couple miles)...

Ah yes. I forgot about that, hehe. You also reminded me of the construction we ran into that brought traffic down to 1 lane and sometimes 45, but it didn't last long. Plus we drove through it in the middle of the night so there wasn't any of the usual traffic congestion that goes with a typical construction zone like that.

hg0079
05-23-2006, 09:30 AM
wow I didn't realize there were so many of us on here!

PDX to LAX :)

CariBelle
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
If you plan to stop in Sacto pick a hotel close to downtown, it'll be easier to get on/off the freeway and I would avoid staying in Stockton. if you can make it to Santa Nella enjoy some pea soup!

charpaul
05-23-2006, 11:00 AM
I usually make that drive once a year to visit family in WA. I think that the speed limit changes right after you get past Shasta area. It is NOT that fast in the mtns. It does get to 75 miles an hour in some places - It will slow down slightly when you go through Redding and Sacramento areas.

I can make it from LA area to Mt. Shasta in one 12 hour drive.
I have a co-worker that claims she can go from here to Portland in a 15 hour driving marathon:eek:

I would make Sacramento your first day goal (with kids you will probably have to stop more than I do....) and if you make it past there then all the better. The next logical stop would be at Santa Nella where they have several motels (it is a highway interchange area frequented by vacationers and truckers!)
This is not a bad plan because it will mean you are just that much closer to Anaheim for the 2nd day of travel!!!!

LaJay55
05-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I believe there a section in the mountains in weed, CA that opens up and is 70+ spped limit. Then after you get out of all the twist and turns of the mountains its 70+ speed limit to the Grapevine.

Oh and the 15 hour marathon to Portland is 100% possible. I went to school in Portland, Or and had family in LA and would make that trip very often and it would never take me more than 15-16 hours. LOTS of Dr. Pepper to stay awake. I also really like driving long distance.

wabby1
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I love the drive through Oregon! Beautiful Willamette Valley. Hold your hand over your heart as you roll through Eugene/Springfield, my old stomping grounds. Also, take time to stop at Lithia Park in Ashland.....so beautiful.

There are plenty of places to do 70 and/or 75 along the way, especially after leaving Southern Oregon.

cirquelover
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I will second the idea of stopping in Woodland just north of Sacramento. Sacramento can be a bear to navigate. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Woodland a few times. The rooms were comfortable and you get breakfast in the morning, which saves you a stop for eating. My son loves their fresh cinnamon rolls and there is cereal, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee. I'm sure they had other stuff but that is what I remember eating! We try to leave there early in the morning to avoid some of the LA traffic.

Sebastian
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
We drove a few years ago straight thru in just under 15 hours. We did not have kids with us but we did stop a couple of times for gas which we should only have to do once.

I think we have decided to make it to Santa Nella and then stop. We estimate we should be there in 11 to 12 hours. That will only give us around 4 or 5 more hours to drive the next morning.

Our kids know we are going on a long drive but have no idea where we are going.

Christy

r-we-there-yet
05-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Last five years I have driven from Bend, OR to DL. I am tired of it to tell you the truth. Drive 13 hours to get there, arrive tired, then spend 6 days walking God only knows how many miles, then sore and tired, have to drive all the way back!

Just as an announcement, I have 5 plane tickets in hand with a car rental in stand by. John Wayne to DL, I can do that!!

This is DAD's year to relax!! I am so excited! You guys have no idea. Great family in my mind. Kids are quiet, wife doesn't harrass me, but man I am hating the drive.

Off to DL in Dec.:fez:

Kat in WA
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Our family drives from Eastern Washington every June and we drive 13 hours straight the first day. We stay just south of Stockton in a little town off I-5 called Paterson. There is a fabulous Best Western (Villa de Lago) with a continental breakfast. Sunday only requires a 5 hour drive to Anaheim. It's our little family secret, but we're willing to share the information with anyone traveling from the Pacific Northwest. Happy Travels!!!

Shadowcat
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
On our way back this year we stopped in Grant's Pass and stayed at the Best Western Inn on the Rogue. We were so tired I don't even remember the room much, but it was clean. Had an odd smell to it tho, like linens without any fabric softener, lol! They did have a cool waffle maker in their continental breakfast line-up tho.

Sebastian
05-24-2006, 08:20 AM
We should be fine - we have gameboys,portable dvd player, and three kids that can keep each other occupied.

We usually fly but after paying thousands to adopt two kids last year (worth every penny I must say) we just don't have the cash to spend over $1000.00 on plane tickets. I agree driving is not always ideal but it will be worth it all.

Christy

hg0079
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I can make it from LA area to Mt. Shasta in one 12 hour drive.
I have a co-worker that claims she can go from here to Portland in a 15 hour driving marathon:eek:

!!!!

In College we had a race to see who could go from Fullerton to the boarder get gas (with reciept as proof of hitting Oregon) and back the fastest.

although I can easily see someond doing the 15 hrs, I bet it wasn't near safe in terms of speed.

littlebugg
05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Maybe its my childhood roadtrips to DL that bias my opinion, but I love to drive down from the Bay Area. For some flying is the best option, and granted I-5 doesn't have the greatest scenery, but something about watching the sky as the sun rises, and the anticipation of getting there that makes the destination more desireable for me.
I love coming down the Grapevine and driving through Hollywood. I love the drive down HWY 1 even more, but the scenery doesn't justify the longer route to hubby so we stick to 5. I would rather drive anywhere than fly if we have the time to do it.
I tell DH how thankful he should be he wasn't along for the countless 3 week roadtrips w/my grandparents and cousins that I endured growing up. Great memories though. Sinatra music still takes me back. :)

Have a Fun Trip!!!

Sebastian
05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Actually 15 hours is driving within the legal speed limit - if you yahoo it the map thing says just under 14 hours from Portland.

We left Troutdale, Oregon (approx 20 miles east of Portland) at 1:30pm and pulled up at our hotel on Harbor around 4:15 am. We did this June of 2001 without any kids so our stops were really fast and we had very few potty breaks.

Christy