PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Cafe as parade stakeout?

texas minnie
05-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe THIS will be my last question...
I read somewhere that Carnation Cafe's outdoor seating is great for viewing the parade down Main Street (7pm). I love the idea of doubling up a meal and a parade (especially for our one-day-trip). Has anyone tried this? I didn't see it on the list for Priority Seating, so would it be impossible to get in? Any tips on this?

bassett1976
05-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I would say only a few tables would be great but you'd also be looking from behind people standing/sitting right on Main Street. Also, add in the people walking on the sidewalk.

I noticed a few people within the last week getting thier lunch and taking it over to the area in front of the Rest Rooms next to Alice. This is a great front row seat and it's restricted during the parade so people cannot enter/exit. Or you can just eat on Main Street.

05-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Parade route question for the experts: we happened to exit Storyland Boats just as the evening parade passed by. It was a perfect vantage point! Did we luck out or is this normally a good spot?

hlbtimes2
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I dont think Carnation cafe would be a good spot for a couple reasons:

There are only a couple tables on the outer edge. The ones in the middle wouldnt have a great view

You would have people sitting on the side walk watching, as well as people walking by.

The times of the parade are not typically meal times (3 and 7 or something close to that).

twist1980
05-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Well I'll have to let you all know how the view is. I made our PSA's about a month ago and inadvertently made one for CC at 7:00. I'm actually hoping we won't be able to see that well because if we can DS won't get any eating done (and I probably won't either)!! :D

FunMom
05-22-2006, 04:44 PM
twist1980 - please do let us know how that went - I was wondering about eating dinner there too.

fidoprincess
05-22-2006, 06:47 PM
We often make our PS for about 30 minutes before the parade and the timing works out nicely. We are just finishing up or getting dessert when the parade goes by. I would not choose to sit there for the "first" viewing of the parade but if you've already seen it, it is fun to watch it go by while eating on main street.

There is no way to be sure to get the "good" tables though, it is just the luck of the draw. We have been lucky and gotten the front row tables a few times. At first I didn't think we would be able to see because people were lined up along the little iron fence but the Cms move them along and don't allow people to stand there so you can see fairly well but don't have a wide "window" since you can't see the stuff until it is right in front. If you are in the back of the restaurant, you can't see much either and the umbrellas block the view looking up to the tops of the floats. Still it adds atmosphere to eat there when the parade is going by and it's fun! We do it for BBP in CA too at the tratoria restaurant. The stop is not right out front though, kind of to the left so you don't get a very good show but if you have already seen it, it just adds to the fun of dining in disney!

Genris
05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
We has a reservation that happened to coincide with a parade time on one of our recent visits. We asked if we could wait for a table along the front, and they let us (it was about a 15 minute wait, I think). The view wasn't great. None of the ground level characters were visible and it was our first time seeing this particular parade, so that was frustrating. But we definitely enjoyed the floats and all the "elevated" characters, and it was wonderful to sit in nice comfy seats while watching. Also, the kids enjoyed the extra room to move around and dance to the music.

I missed sitting on the side of the street and making "eye" contact with the characters though. It's a very impersonal way to watch the parade.

All and all, it was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it as your only parade view.