PDA

View Full Version : Help - one day only!

texas minnie
05-20-2006, 06:36 PM
My best friend and I are taking our boys to Disneyland for their birthdays. The boys are turning 5 and 6. It is my friend's and her son's first time to Disney. What should I be sure to cram in to our one day? I think with careful planning we'll be able to hit the rides we want to, but what about meals (character meal?), snacks (Dole whip is on the list - I'm already thinking about it!). I want to show them the best! Thanks - I learn so much from you guys!

stan4d_steph
05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
If you only have one day, I wouldn't take away park time for a character meal.

tink1234
05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Get RideMax, it is AMAZING! Could you do a day in the park and a character breakfast on the way out of town the next day?

texas minnie
05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Great idea! We're staying at the Best Western Park Inn (right there on Harbor). Would Storytellers be the closest character breakfast (we won't have a car)? Or is there another one I'm not thinking of?

What is Ridemax?

I Heart Disneyland!
05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
If you only have one day, I wouldn't take away park time for a character meal.

I don't think I would either actually.

tmptink
05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Or is there another one I'm not thinking of?

If you are thinking of doing a character breakfast the next day before you leave there is one at Storytellers which is in GCH, Goofy's Kitchen is in the DLH, and Lilo and Stitch is in DPPH. You don't have to pay admission. If you do want to take the time to do one while you are visiting the park, I would suggest to do the Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn so you are not having to leave the park. I am with the others that say not to waste your short time at a character dinning.

rentayenta
05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
What is Ridemax?

www.Ridemax.com

have fun! :)

hlbtimes2
05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Another thought on character meals: If the kids are interested in meeting characters, then I recomend Minnies at the plaza. You wont have to hunt down characters for autographs and since you need to eat anyway you can do it all at once. A character meal there takes about an hour. You would more then likely meet Minnie, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Hook, Chip and Dale and the Fairy Godmother. They have been there pretty consistantly the last few months. Just be sure if you want to eat there that you call and make PS before you go, or you might not get in.

bradk
05-20-2006, 09:32 PM
actually, except for ariel's grotto and minnie & friends, you can do all those character breakfasts well before either park opens depending on what time the park opens that day.

i don't know if i'd recommend ridemax or even stress about doing any rides (do'em, but only if you FP them or there's no standby). instead, just relax and take it all in. better to be a tease and make someone want to come back than to leave a bad taste in one's mouth with stress and pressure and there's plenty to be offered that ridemax can't account for.

i would however probably do the happiest birthday celebration at the plaza inn. and if you need more food, the junior chef program is good.

also, for birthdays, the pages i keep for reference:

http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlrbirthdays.html
http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm050412lp

donaldquackers
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I would be there at opening and do some fantasyland rides. Remember to send a runner to get FP's. The boys will want to do Indy, Jungle Cruise, and the tree house. Be sure to get HM and POTC if it is open. Do the mountains if the boys like the fast rides. the boys will want to do Buzz. Be sure to see the fireworks. They will be replaced in a few short months and everything else will still be there when you come again. The fireworks are the best I have ever seen anywhere. NOt just fireworks but a whole entertainment experience. Don't worry about the things you can't do, just let the boys enjoy. If they want to stop and play for a while that's OK too. While they play you can people watch and use all of your senses to take in the joys of Disneyland. I wouldn't worry about a park hopper pass as you just don't have time to do both. As for charactors, you'll see them all over the park and won't need to take extra time to see them. The next morning rather than a charactor meal, I'd let the kids have a quick swim in the pool, then take them to Mcdonalds for food they will probably eat.

texas minnie
05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the great advice, Donald! I'm sure you're right about the McDonalds thing. What is it about hotel pools and kids? It's like they've never seen one before!
In less than 36 hours, we'll be there! We're telling the boys tomorrow. They don't even know yet. (We're leaving our hubbies home with too-young-babies). We ordered mouseear caps, wrapped them up, and are letting them open them tomorrow for their birthday present, then showing them the Disneyland promotional DVD! They are best friends whose birthdays are 2 weeks apart. It's gonna be a big hit (and tough to top, I might add - might just have to make it a tradition!)
Thanks for all the great advice, ya'll!