PDA

View Full Version : How close to Disneyland's main entrance do you get with handicapped parking?

Poptart
05-20-2006, 03:31 PM
My stepfather refuses to use a wheelchair in Disney so we have to limit our walking. How close will we get to park to Disneyland's main entrance in a handicapped parking space?

nursemelis374
05-20-2006, 04:06 PM
You still have to park in the structure and take the tram, but the actual walking part is not that far.

Darkbeer
05-20-2006, 09:01 PM
You either take a tram if your assistance vehicle will fit (aka Wheelchair or similar device), or they have special vans if your assistance device is larger than most (basically some electric vehicles). If you are not sure which one you need, just ask a CM near the trams, they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

There are no parking spaces that close to the Main Entrance Plaza anymore.

adriennek
05-20-2006, 10:41 PM
You either take a tram if your assistance vehicle will fit (aka Wheelchair or similar device), or they have special vans if your assistance device is larger than most (basically some electric vehicles). If you are not sure which one you need, just ask a CM near the trams, they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Actually, this is slightly inaccurate.

There are not restrictions on what size device can use the special vans. This is one picture (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/mrschemdoc/Eating%20Thru%20Ireland%20Day%202/1159pb.jpg) of our group using the van in March. During that trip we shared the van with other people using ECVs and/or wheelchairs including one little boy who had a kick-tush chair that was smaller than my stroller.

We usually decide which we're going to use based on how long the lines are for either. It takes a bit longer to get the chair set up in the van than the tram and if a group is very large there won't be room for more than one device. I don't know if they'll ask a large group to break up so more people with devices can fit.

I can't imagine a wheelchair or ECV being too big for the tram but being small enough to get on the van lift.

Adrienne

Cheshire Figment
05-21-2006, 04:37 AM
I think your stepfather will be making a big mistake.

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Poptart
05-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Thank you everyone for your posts.
I guess as long as we don't have to walk far either to a tram or whatever to get to the main entrance, that's our main concern - not walking far. Once we get to the main entrance we can take the Main Street cars, go on the RR, etc.

Cheshire Figment - Yes of course it would be easier on us all if he would use a wheelchair, but he's recently been put on Hospice care and is not taking it very well. I'm not about to argue his feelings.

Darkbeer
05-21-2006, 08:40 AM
When you get to the Parking Sturcture Toll Booths, advise the CM that a person in the car needs to only walk short distances (having the Disabled Parking Placard out helps), they more than likely will allow you to park near the tram entrance in the Pinocchio section by placing a special flyer on your windshield.

Poptart
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh that's great Darkbeer! Thanks once again.

dsnyredhead
05-21-2006, 10:09 AM
It's always a bit of a risk that there might not be a space available, but if you don't show them your disabled parking placard when you get to the gate, you can go up to the garage and then put the placard up, the cm's will direct you to the disabled parking spaces nearest the elevators inside the garage. There are about 10 or so spaces per floor in the garage.

If the spaces are filled when you get to the floor you are directed to, drive back around and head to the next floor if they have started loading it and do the same. Once in a while, even if the disabled spots are full, you can find unfilled parking spaces within the same floor that are fairly close to the elevators.

The problem with the ground level disabled parking is that it is better if you have a wheelchair there. It can be a long walk around if you don't already have one.

jennia
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
We always ask to park in the Pinocchio parking lot. No shade but closer to the tram. Even that little bit helps in our situation I know. I don't mind the lack of shade because we never leave in the heat of day anyway (traffic is too bad!!)