PDA

View Full Version : Story Questions About ToT and Endless Hallway on HM

animagusurreal
05-20-2006, 12:01 AM
I've been thinking about the "endless hallway" on HM - I think the doorknob rattling is one of the best "suspense" effects, but (and here's me getting over-analyticial) why do ghosts need to rattle locked doorknobs? Can't they just float right through the doors? Or, is the hallway not supposed to be a "real" hallway, but a bunch of gateways from the "other side," which explains why we need Madame Leota to "establish contact."

While we're on the subject of ghosts, I'm curious about the story on ToT. I get the basic idea - they were in the elevator, lightening struck, now they're ghosts - but is that it? Knowing The Twilight Zone, I was looking for a twist.

What does it mean when we disappear in the mirror? Is that just us dissapearing into The Twilight Zone?

potzbie
05-20-2006, 09:06 AM
If you are looking for consistency in logic or physics, you are looking in the wrong place.

I am sure that whoever designs haunted houses, they use TRADITIONAL elements of hauntings.

They are NOT going to use state-of-the-art Ghost Busters technology.
They do NOT research the journals of scientific inquiry.

Instead, they draw upon a loose collection of whatever it takes to suggest ghosts or hauntings or horror.

Charles Dickens used a door knocker for its horror effect. Therefore ...

Poltergeists move objects unexpectedly. Therefore ...

Graveyards are where dead bodies are. Therefore ...

Edgar Allen Poe had a heart keep beating under a floorboard. Therefore ...

In one of the skeptics books, it lists the traditional mediums of the past 100 years or so.
All seance effects are based on the seances of one person, a lady.
Since it was she who made "spirit trumpets" materialize, then when a designer is creating a haunted house, the seance room must have spirit trumpets.
And rapping.
And whispering.

Don't expect logic to answer, "Why is there a spirit trumpet?"
There just is, for the sake of tradition.
100 or 200 years ago, mediums did [whatever].
Therefore, today, a designer of haunted houses will use [whatever].

Another Dimension
05-20-2006, 04:29 PM
^^^ Good post! :)

animagusurreal
05-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the well-written reply, potzbie. I wasn't expecting hard science (if there was any, I probably wouldn't understand it ;) ) but just maybe the backstory (or backstories) to the Endless Hallway (if there were any.)

potzbie
05-20-2006, 05:46 PM
... but just maybe the backstory (or backstories) to the Endless Hallway (if there were any.)

Hmmmmmm. . . . . . . . . . . .

[ Insert thinking cap here ]

How about this?
"Holy cow!
I see a floating candleabra!
Look!
It's moving!
But there is no one holding the candleabra!
Geez!
Do you think a ghost is swaying the candleabra?"
That is one possibility.

animagusurreal
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Do you think a ghost is swaying the candleabra?"
That is one possibility.

Or maybe it's Lumiere, and Tinkerbell has sprinkled him with pixie dust, allowing him to fly.

I also want to know more about this "Holy Cow" you mentioned and how she fits into the story ;).

jennia
05-21-2006, 11:06 AM
If you want the full back story on TOT try and rent the movie. I'm pretty sure that I saw it on TV but I'm sure that a large video rental place or Netflix would have it.

As for the mirror....... I think it is a great effect but I don't know the significance even though I've seen the movie.