PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Of The "new" Dapper Dans?

Pages : [1] 2

I Heart Disneyland!
05-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I was at DL this past week and I saw them. I didn't care for them. They look too made up, their act is too staged and they were not as "real" seeming as the other guys. I sure do miss the old Dapper Dans. (The ones of the last few years anyway.) :(

Darkbeer
05-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Then you will like this site....

http://www.theperfectgents.com/

:fez:

I Heart Disneyland!
05-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Then you will like this site....

http://www.theperfectgents.com/

:fez:

Love it!!! What do YOU think of the new Dans, Darkbeer? You are there all of the time.

Darkbeer
05-19-2006, 09:39 PM
^Only seen them once, still not sure.....

I do miss the "Old" Dapper Dans though

tmptink
05-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I did walk by the new Dans but I did not stop to watch. I banned myself from watching them because of what happened.

TikiGeek
05-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know how/what Shelby and Bill are doing? Are they still involved with the DD's part-time? My hope is that things work out for the best - they have both been involved with the Dapper Dan's for a long time.

jennia
05-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't think I had ever seen the old Dapper Dans and was unaware of any controversy. I saw the new ones on May 18 (2006) and thought they were good. They also spent a lot of time posing with guests after the performance. I really thought that was sweet the way they posed with the kids and seemed to be having so much fun!!

stan4d_steph
05-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I did walk by the new Dans but I did not stop to watch. I banned myself from watching them because of what happened.I wouldn't punish the new performers for the actions taken by the management in deciding to hire new Dans.

tmptink
05-20-2006, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't punish the new performers for the actions taken by the management in deciding to hire new Dans.

That was not the only reason. It was a busy day and did not have time to stop and watch.

You are right, it is not there fault and they are probably good too.

Another Dimension
05-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I haven't thought much about them... truthfully.

If I am walking by, I'll stop and check 'em out.. but I won't go in and look for the (new) Dans like I used to for the (old) Dans... or how I still do for Main St and NOS bands.

hlbtimes2
05-20-2006, 08:18 PM
My husband saw them there this week. He thought they were pretty good. There was a good size crowd gathered around them and people seem to be enjoying the show. He couldnt give me much of a personal opionion since he didnt know the old group very well.

Another Dimension
05-21-2006, 12:57 AM
What exactly is different about them?

Different costumes, songs, styles, no more guest interaction, more in your face, like the Christmas Carolers?
Or are they just a totally different group of people now, and yet pretty much exactly the same style of the previous Dapper Dans? :confused:

nursemelis374
05-21-2006, 08:46 AM
I think they are very entertaining. Everytime I have seen them they have had a pretty good size crowd around them. I really could care less that they replaced the old ones, I guess that's showbusiness.

Opus1guy
05-21-2006, 11:21 AM
I miss the old Dapper Dans. You know? These (http://www.playthingspast.com/hb-6548b.html).

;)

BTW...are any of the current Dapper Dans actually named "Dan?"

:)

cstephens
08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
We were at Coke Corner for a while yesterday, and we were surprised to see the Dapper Dans come up and perform a show with the pianist. It was pretty cool. They weren't mic'ed at all, so it was nice to just be able to hear them.

Here's a picture of them with the pianist. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/ddatcc2.jpg)

They even brought their own marquee. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/ddatcc1.jpg)

JookyG
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
The new Dans are really talented and fresh and very entertaining to watch. Sure, they're a little green, but they're new so it's to be expected. I can't tell much of a difference in terms of show, except that the new Dans are young enough to ride the bicycle built for 4 around Main Street when it's not too crowded--what a spectacle!

I've been watching some of the old Wondeful World of Disney shows, and the Dans from yesteryear are all quite young. It's no wonder Disney wanted to replace the old ones with fresher faces. So you could say that traditionally the Main Street Dans should be younger guys. Walt could have hired older Dans, but he didn't--from the start they've been young.

Sure, it's sad the old Dans got the boot, but a 30-year gig for any entertainer is certainly more than he/she could ever hope for. They got a better deal than most, so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Darkbeer
08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I just caught the fact that all the "new" members wear Name Tags with the "Class of 1955" on them......

MrsG
08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I've seen them a few times already and I think they are pretty good! But I don't remember the old Dans having speakers (or whatever the microphone amplifications is on the new Dans). I don't care for the speakers. I think it was more "real" without them.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I just caught the fact that all the "new" members wear Name Tags with the "Class of 1955" on them......

Yeah, riiiiiiiiight. The ones I saw look all of 22 years old.

mi_mous
08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
They had some HOT ones when I was there in June!! ;)

(Oh, oops... was that not what you were asking?)

JookyG
08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I've seen them a few times already and I think they are pretty good! But I don't remember the old Dans having speakers (or whatever the microphone amplifications is on the new Dans). I don't care for the speakers. I think it was more "real" without them.

Last time I saw the old Dans, at Christmas, they only ever performed in two specific spots on Main St, right beneath concealed speakers, although it wasn't super obvious they were being amplified. Couldn't see mics or anything.

Contrarywise, when I saw the Dans, they weren't being amplified that I could tell, so maybe it just depends on the day or the act or maybe crowd size/volume. I've heard folks say they can hear them all the way down Main St sometimes. But either way, they're good enough to work without them. I prefer the show without the help.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-07-2006, 11:58 PM
. I prefer the show without the help.

Me too co-Seattleite, JookyG!

potzbie
08-08-2006, 12:47 AM
... I did not stop to watch. I banned myself from watching them because of what happened.

Sure.
Like all classics, we mourn the loss.
I laid down my flowers in front of them.
(I'm on the committee, you know!)

They just tap danced right over them.
No respect for the dead, I guess.
:)
:crying:

oregontraveler
08-08-2006, 07:30 AM
I was there last week for 2 days and made plans to see the new act. Ironically, I saw Bill Lewis (former baritone) in the new Pirates act. So here's what he told me. The 'old' Dans were never given a reason for their pink slips.
The 'new' Dans are much like the Orlando Dans now. They are 'on stage' 8 times a day, with more guest interaction. They know about 25 songs on the chimes compared to 140 with the old Dans. They do wear 'mics' for some sets, which are about 20 minutes now compared to 30 minutes. I didn't notice the range of the speakers until I walked by in front of the hub and could see them singing outside Coke Corner, so it does carry a little bit. The new act may still be learning new songs since I noticed the same routine in different places. Look for them outside Disney Clothiers, Coke Corner, the Emporium (by the Fire Dept.) They also have a pre-show for the 7pm parade.
I like the new act, but they have a long way to go. I also sang "My Wild Irish Rose" and got a new honorary member card.

As for the 'old' Dans: Bill is in the new Pirates act, which I enjoyed alot. He also started Lewis Productions with his wife and their first project is "Forever Plaid". Their intent is to bring theater to smaller towns, and Tim picked Astoria, Oregon for starters. They will be there Labor Day weekend at the historic Liberty Theater. Jim (bass) is a back-up Dan. Shelby (lead) hasn't been singing much, he has been working on some research projects.
Bob (tenor) took his dismissal pretty hard. He had only been in the group for a
year but spent 10 years trying to get in. He is singing lead with the Metropolis quartet.

quadaunt
08-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Where can I find the schedule of where and when the Dapper Dans perform at Disneyland?