PDA

View Full Version : monorail - one way?

boosmom96
05-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I knew the monorail was running a limited route, but I thought it was R/T Tomorrowland/DTD. I spoke with hotel reservations yesterday and the CM said it is only running from DTD to Tommorowland - one way. This doesn't make too much sense to me. We won't be there until July 3rd. Is this maybe something that will happen later in June? I'm trying to decide between staying at the GCH & DLH. Not being able to take the monorail back to the DLH at night will really help make up my mind!
Can someone explain how this is working? TIA

D15
05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I think the CM you spoke to may have just worded it badly- AFAIK, the Monorail is currently running both ways, but it is a one way trip from wherever you get on- if you get on at Tomorrowland, you have to get off in DTD, and vice-versa. If it was only running from DTD to Tomorrowland, that'd make absolutely no sense to me... :p

Another Dimension
05-19-2006, 05:36 PM
The Disneyland Monorail is presently running the short route.
Straight out of TL to DtD, as usual in that direction, but is only offering one way trips.

Meaning everyone aboard must disembark when the Monorail arrives at DtD.

If a Guest wants a ride back to TL, they must exit the Monorail and wait in the queue again.

On the return trip to TL, the Monorail exits the DtD station the same direction it entered it. Then travels thru the Grand Cali, over DCA again and straight back to the TL station without traveling the full length of the track, nor circling the Matterhorn.

Have fun! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
05-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I was there this week and I don't even remember seeing it. :(

Darkbeer
05-19-2006, 08:49 PM
I have been riding the Monorail a LOT!!! to get the photos of the Sub Lagoon.

They have only been running one train in "Shuttle" Mode, which is only using about 1/3'rd of the track.... here is a good satellite view of what is going on...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191662

So basically it goes forward and backwards on this one piece of track, and doesn't use the other 2/3'rds of the track, due to the construction in the Sub Lagoon for the new Finding Nemo attraction (not safe for the workers).

Disney has said that if it gets busy, they will limit the Monorail to any of the three Disney owned Hotel Guests, either the first few hours, or all day, depending on the lines. Of course, if the Monorail breaks down, then nobody gets to ride until it is fixed.

Last I heard, the Monorail is scheduled to run until late August, when it will shut down completely to allow construction to the Tomorrowland Station, and the Finding Nemo queue to be built below it.

It should return early Summer of 2007.

boosmom96
05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone! I thought the route sounded weird, but I specifically asked her if we would be able to take it from Tomorrowland back to DTD in the evening and she said no! It didn't make any sense to me either! I hope she was just misinformed.
She did say that it will stop running in early September.

Omnitographer
05-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Ive been thinking, and if the monorail went underground, and under the lake in DCA, to that hotel at the pier, that would be incredibly wicked :D

gimp_boy76
05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I wanted to say that for whatever reason I saw the monorail circle the Matterhorn once this past weekend, I don't know why it travelled the full route.

PapiBear
05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new changes, especially when we finally get new monorail trains. I really would LOVE it, though, if they extended the monorail line so that it would go to more places surrounding the resort, namely some of the other hotels and possibly even the Mickey & Friends parking structure.

Then, thinking even more long-term, they could eventually expand the monorail line (or establish a second line) to turn left and go down Disney Way, then over across the 5 Freeway and down Katella to Angel Stadium, hang a U-ey, and link up with the Amtrak/Metrolink line there. Then, take Katella all the way back, stopping once or twice along that route to service some of those hotels/motels, then over to to Hilton Anaheim/Marriott Anaheim area, then around and up Disneyland Drive to the DTD station. Since it's a private train line, Disney could, theoretically, charge riders a fee to go from the Metrolink station to, say, the Hilton Anaheim or the DTD station. Just an idea.

Darkbeer
05-20-2006, 07:32 AM
I wanted to say that for whatever reason I saw the monorail circle the Matterhorn once this past weekend, I don't know why it travelled the full route.

What you saw was one of the trains going back to the barn, more than likely it had a problem and had to be repaired/replaced.

To get to the barn, it has to go from the Tomorrowland Station around the Matterhorn towards it's a small world, and then just past the barn, above the train tracks going to Tomorrowland. The switch will be moved and then the Monorail will enter the barn, which is next to the iasw building.

The track's electricity is turned off from above the Sub Lagoon to about the backside of the Indiana Jones building, so there is no way for it to make a round trip.

gimp_boy76
05-20-2006, 09:26 AM
What you saw was one of the trains going back to the barn, more than likely it had a problem and had to be repaired/replaced.

To get to the barn, it has to go from the Tomorrowland Station around the Matterhorn towards it's a small world, and then just past the barn, above the train tracks going to Tomorrowland. The switch will be moved and then the Monorail will enter the barn, which is next to the iasw building.

The track's electricity is turned off from above the Sub Lagoon to about the backside of the Indiana Jones building, so there is no way for it to make a round trip.
Thanks, I figured it had something to do with taking it out of comission as I was sure I didn't see any guests on it.