PDA

View Full Version : First time to Disneyland, need help!

boohead
05-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found these boards, they have been a great source of info for me. On Monday my husband, my 7 months pregnant self, and our 4 and a half year old daughter will be flying to San Diego. The first few days of our trip however will be spent in Anaheim at Disneyland. We will have three days to visit the parks.

We are very very excited, and of course I'm a little worried too. Being pregnant with gestational diabetes and having a little one on top of it is going to make this a very interesting first trip to Disneyland.

I have read that while you are not allowed to bring coolers with lunches into the park that you can bring drinks and small snacks. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on that for me. With me being diabetic I will definately have to have some snack foods with me. I'll also need some sort of very small cooler pack to keep my insulin in as well. I've also purchased one small and one larger insulated water bottles, the kind with the straps. So I'm wondering if those will be okay to take in? We're planning on taking a backpack instead of my purse so that way we can have my medication as well as any snacks we need all in one place.

Also wondering if there will be any problem bringing my syringes and diabetic testing supplies in the park? I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask anyway.

Another question I have is about the Southern California City Passes. We purchased these in advance online and are supposed to pick them up at the will call ticket booth. It says it's at the main entrance in ticket booth 4. I'm wondering if this is easy to find or not. Also wondering if I need to show up early to get them and if so how early you suggest.

And yet another question. Are there any rides that you could think of that would be okay for a pregnant mom to go on? I'm so bummed not to be able to go on the big rides, but I'm hoping there will be at least something I can go on!

Any other tips or advice you would like to share would be very much appreciated. Sorry to ask a zillion questions! It's just that we are so excited to actually be going and I really want to be able to make the most of our trip! Of course I realize this will be no small task with myself being pregnant and our little one in tow. We plan on taking afternoon breaks everyday and just taking it slow! Oops, one more question....Where do I find out the two parks operating hours for the dates I'll be there? I can't seem to find this out and I want to be sure to be there early enough to get and get to enjoy some of the kiddie rides before there's a really long line.

bassett1976
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
They do have lockers right outside of the plaza for coolers. Now that I'm thinking about it, they may have been removed but someone here will make sure to post if they have been. I know that people in the past with diabeties have needed information about their medicine. I think that you can make arrangements with first aid to keep your medicine while you are at the park. If you have a backpack you can actually keep any type of food that you have with yourself during the day. They don't want big huge coolers inside of the park.

As for the rides, most of them state that expectant mothers should not ride. I've seen expectant mothers get on some of the slower moving rides but you still have to worry about the baby.

vmjess
05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi- I have a five year old with Type 1 diabetes, and we have NEVER had a problem with bringing in diabetic supplies, snacks and drinks to the parks. We bring a backpack full of stuff every time.

We always mention at the bag check that we have diabetic supplies and they check real quick and send us right through. I don't think you'll have any problem at all.

You'll have a great time if you take it easy and enjoy the slower things to do at the park- ride the train and the fantasyland type rides, sit on main street and people watch. That kind of stuff.

Have fun!

boohead
05-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Oops, I guess I should've made it more clear the type of rides I was hoping to get to go on. I was thinking things like It's a small world, the train, stuff like that.

I too have heard stories of pregnant mom's going on some highly questionable rides and I'm definately not going there. However I was hoping to get to do some slower moving things, just not sure what all there is.

Poptart
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm pg also and going to Disney soon.
I'd say sure to the train and It's a Small World and some kiddie rides. You can find a sign near the front of rides stating if expectant mothers shouldn't go and you could also ask the CM's.
Some others you could go on: Haunted Mansion, Casey Jr probably, Mark Twain, monorail, Main St. cars, quite a few. I'd avoid the rollercoasters of course and Autopia and Mr. Toad's.

I'd think you can bring in your diabetic supplies. If Disney didn't allow that, there'd be a lot of people turned away.

PragmaticIdealist
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is not contraindicated for expectant mothers. The Disneyland Web-site, though, has complete information about which attractions have boarding restrictions. Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't, and neither do most others. So, there will be plenty for you to experience.

You also shouldn't worry too much about any special conditions because Disneyland has seen it all a dozen times over before, and the people there are very good about effectively addressing whatever needs you may have.

stan4d_steph
05-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I would suggest you also check out the Parenting in the Parks and Theme Park Access Guide forums since you have special needs that fall into both of those areas.

You can bring in a small soft-sided cooler (like the size that would fit a 6-pack of soda) with snacks and drinks.

momuvseven
05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Bring or rent a stroller for your four year old. She will be much happier if she can rest.

There is so much to do a Disneyland that you and your four year old should be at the same level ridewise. She won't be big enough to go on the rides that are not good for you when you are pregnant. Be sure to see the Aladdin show in DCA.

Have fun, take plenty of breaks including afternoon naps.

tink1234
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
We went w/ my preggers SIL and she rode Alice and many other rides. The only ones she did not try were Indy, etc. When we took my 6 mo old (which I assume is like being expectant) she rode Dumbo, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Pirates and Small World. You will have plenty to ride. Enjoy your first trip to DL. After one you will be hooked!!

PBKokiri
05-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I also visited Disneyland pregnant. I rode IASW, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Roger Rabbit's cartoon spin (I wasn't sure, but the sign said it was ok), Alice, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, the train a lot to rest my feet LOL, the Jungle cruise, etc. There is actually a lot you can do, so enjoy!!! :D

adriennek
05-19-2006, 01:36 PM
As for the rides, most of them state that expectant mothers should not ride. I've seen expectant mothers get on some of the slower moving rides but you still have to worry about the baby.

Actually, this is not true. I would say that a handful of rides say this actually... I figured it out once, but I forgot the exact numbers. It's 20% or fewer of the rides that have restrictions. There about 8 rides you cannot ride at Disneyland: Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Autopia, Space Mountain, Star Tours and I think Gadget's Go Coaster. That's it. Just eight. I'm trying to remember if I missed one.

I wrote this article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock15.htm) in 2000. The basic information is still good.

As for your diabetic supplies, you can stop by the Central First Aid Center at Disneyland and they'll hold your supplies for you if you like. This isn't required, it's just a nice little thing that they can help you with. As others have said, you can bring a soft-side cooler for snacks that need to be chilled. I usually put one of those in my backpack as well as a few non-perishable snacks. Don't bring anything in glass or tupperware and you should be fine. Frankly, I'd flat out tell them "Those are my diabetes supplies" and show them the syringes, etc, if they give you any hassle (but I REALLY don't expect them to!)

Edited to add: I forgot to say that I went to Disneyland through all three of my to-term pregnancies, through all three trimesters and had a great time. Drink lots of water. Consider getting a camelbak if you don't already have one. And stop to pee often! You probably know all that "how to avoid pre-term labor" stuff already. But you'll be fine.
Adrienne

Poptart
05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Adrienne - What's a camelbak? I'm going to Disney pg too.

RikiGB
05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Don't forget the shows and parades. Golden Horse Show is a don't miss and it playes about 5 times a day. Also the Parade of Dreams, Fantasmic and the Fireworks show. Also Snow White musical if it is back is good. In DCA their is Aladen, Crush,Muppets 3 D, Electrical Parade etc. You will have a great time. Enjoy!!:)

bassett1976
05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Adrienne - What's a camelbak? I'm going to Disney pg too.

Camelbak is a water backpack. It has a bladder in the backpack with a straw attached. You fill up the bladder with water and keep drinking.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

heidiwhr
05-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I went to DL and WDW during both my pregnancies. Our last trip to WDW I was 6 months along and my son was 4, so I can relate! The only rides you need to worry about staying away from are the ones Adrienne mentioned above, along with the Coasters, Malaboomer, Sorin' (I think), Tower of Teror, etc. in DCA. Just know the bigger the ride is, the bigger the warning for expectant moms. Remember there are PLENTY of other rides that are perfectly safe, so you will have a great time.

A must will be to take advantage of the abundance of benches and rest along the way - don't try to push yourself. DL is a great place to people watch, or just sit and take in all the sights and sounds around you. Lastly...Water, Water, Water - you can NEVER have too much! Have fun!

adriennek
05-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Camelbak is a water backpack. It has a bladder in the backpack with a straw attached. You fill up the bladder with water and keep drinking.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

And if you get one with an insulated cover, you can put ice in the bladder when you fill it up in the morning and the water will stay cold throughout the day. In my experience, anyway. :)

They're not just good for pg people. They're great for anyone. We even have them for our kids. We actually got three of our camelbaks, including two skeeters from the REI Outlet so they were rather reasonably priced, IMO (roughly 40-50% off retail.)

Adrienne

jMom
05-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I went to DL while pregnant and helped my best friend when she came out for a DL visit w/ her 1 yo and 4+ mo pregnant. We both ended up enjoying the carrosel, visit to Tom Sawyer's island (kids love to run around it; PG moms can enjoy the shade and cool breezes off the river), exploring Toon Town (although it gets hot), and enjoying the A/C indoor shows. You might also want to consider the Mark Twain and the Jungle Cruise (not long lines, you get to sit down, and enjoy a nice looong ride over water!).

You will want lots of water! Knowing where the bathrooms are is a plus. The stroller recommendation is a good one (my BF's son took his afternoon nap in one).

Have fun!

boohead
05-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am happy to say that they've changed my diabetic stuff to where I'll only need to do it first thing in the morning and at night for my insulin injections now, so no need to lug that into the park!

We've gotten these two insulated water bottles with the strap. I think one is three quarts and the other is about normal 20 oz size. I know I get REALLY thirsty so these will be a must. Plus I do have to figure out early on where the bathrooms are because like all you ladies know you always have to go!!!

We are definately planning to rent a stroller for our daughter. I know she couldn't do that much walking and hey the stroller can help hold me up too!!!!

So is it true that I shouldn't ride Soarin?? If so I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to that one. I thought it was a fairly gentle ride but I must be wrong. If it's too much for me then maybe I better rethink it for my daughter too.

I know I have to get to bed because we fly out tomorrow. We are SO SO SO SO SO SO excited!!! Thanks again guys for your help, and let me know more about Soarin if you could.

littlebugg
05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
We were in line behind a very preggers young woman in Soarin' about 2 weeks ago, they let her on but I wasn't watching for any warning signs myself. I don't recall it being too "jolty", but I would say take the advice of some of the more DLR regulars as I've only ridden this attraction twice. You will have a great time either way!!! Have Fun !!!

Frogberto
05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
So is it true that I shouldn't ride Soarin?? If so I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to that one. I thought it was a fairly gentle ride but I must be wrong. If it's too much for me then maybe I better rethink it for my daughter too.

I know I have to get to bed because we fly out tomorrow. We are SO SO SO SO SO SO excited!!! Thanks again guys for your help, and let me know more about Soarin if you could.

I just took my 75 year old mother on Soarin' yesterday, and it was fine. A very gentle ride, appropriate for almost everyone.

SuefromRI
05-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Even though you stated that you no longer need to bring your diabetic supplies, I thought I would respond anyway. My husband was diagnosed just before our first ever trip to DL and SD in Aug 2002. We had the doctor write a prescription stating that he needed to carry lancets and needles for diabetic purposes cuz we were worried about the airport security. We also took his kit into DL. We were never once questioned about it or on the next 10 times we flew anywhere, but it gave us piece of mind to have it. he carries it in his wallet in case he is ever questioned about it. I would just tell them at security if they ask about any item that you need it for medical reasons. At many hotels you can get a free fridge for your insulin if you ask.

Jwebbal
05-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Just an FYI on keeping insulin cold without a cooler. You can buy these very flexible ice packs (they are thin and blue in a clear casing) that you can freeze overnight and then put in your insulin/glucometer pack where you hold all your supplies. They are pretty small and you can cut one off of a strip of them to keep it cool.

PJTinkerbell
05-23-2006, 07:39 AM
We have a child that is diabetic. Never once been asked about his needles, or anything, even snacks. (That includes the airport). We, however, always get a note from the doctor to have on hand that explains that he has Type I and that he is required by his doctor (him) to carry these items.

The first time we took him after his diagnosis, it was rather hot and we were worried about keeping the insulin cold. We carried those disposable (shaking) kind of ice cold packs for the evening, but they don't last that long. In the morning, however, we just dropped off his insulin at the first aid center and put it in the fridge there. They put his name on it and we picked it up when we needed it or when we left the park. It was easy and they were super nice. We carried his test kit with us the whole time though.

Just my two cents! Hope this helps!

:)