PDA

View Full Version : New White Rabbit Statue

Pages : [1] 2

Werner
05-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I was delighted to see the new White Rabbit statue reported in today's Disneyland Update. But reading that "certain cast members are certain that this new statue will quickly become a target for vandalism and graffiti, but time will tell" really brought me down. Whatever happened to respect for self and others, and other's property? I guess I don't really know what I'm saying. I just want to say that I think society is de-evolving and I'm sad. Ugh. OK, yes, there is graffiti on benches at bus stops and in fast-food restaurant bathrooms. But to think that someone who just paid $50 (or even if were free!) to walk in Walt's little park would go up to a marvelously-wrought statue and deface it -- I just can't comprehend this. I'm not the confrontational type, but if I ever see anyone touch this statue (no less any other item) with anything other than a gentle pat, they'd better be prepared to explain themselves to me and whatever Security I can summon. Ah, I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent!

chrisaustx
05-15-2006, 10:13 PM
On Sat. night I saw "LA Gang Member" types racing their hydraulic suspension cars on the top of the Mickey and Friends garage. I had to sit in my car and hunch down and wait for them to leave. If you are ghetto and have money, Disneyland's high prices are not a problem, I see many "gang banger" types at Disneyland, many of them do have money.

PapiBear
05-15-2006, 10:28 PM
On Sat. night I saw "LA Gang Member" types racing their hydraulic suspension cars on the top of the Mickey and Friends garage. I had to sit in my car and hunch down and wait for them to leave.Why?

chrisaustx
05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
We have had a rash of random shootings in the area lately, people just killed at random on the road. If you see something crazy going on in the LA area, its best to stay out of it.

PapiBear
05-15-2006, 10:43 PM
We have had a rash of random shootings in the area lately, people just killed at random on the road. If you see something crazy going on in the LA area, its best to stay out of it.Well, doesn't that advice make sense anywhere you go?

By the way, they don't have security cameras on the roof of the parking garage? Most lowrider enthusiasts are actually all about their cars, and an impromptu display of hydraulic prowess is nothing to duck down onto the floorboards for. Were they displaying guns, drinking, or acting aggressively toward other guests? Why would you leaving your parking space invite violence? Most of these "random" shootings are anything but.

By the way, what exactly is an "LA gang member type"? Are they distinctly different from a Santa Ana gang member type?

chrisaustx
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Oh driving around the parking garage at 50 mph, moving the car up and down, burning rubber on the concrete. I don't think these were low rider enthusiasts trying to show the families at Disneyland their cars. The gangs in LA control most of California, even the gangs in Sacramento are controlled by the LA gangs. This happened around 12:30 am, and there was no security or Anaheim PD in sight, if I had called DLR security, very doubtful they would have done anything but wait for them to leave. In the past few weeks, there have been LA gang related murders around Anaheim, so if I see them looking for trouble, I don't get involved. We had a LA gang mass homicide down the street from me two weeks ago, 3 miles from the DLR.

PapiBear
05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
A mass gang homicide 3 miles from DLR, eh? How come I can't find anything about that in the news?

I didn't say they were showing "families" their cars. They were no doubt just hot-dogging and showing off for each other. By the way, you never did explain just how you were able to identify them as "LA gang members."

Why would there be no Disneyland security on their own property? You got a cell phone? Here, put this number in your cell phone for the next time you're at the Park: Disneyland Resort Guest Relations (Live) - (714) 781-7290 . If you encounter any sort of problem in the garage structure and don't happen to see anyone, give them a call and let them know what's up and ask them to have Disneyland security send a patrol car over. There's no reason for you to feel threatened on Disneyland property. You do have recourse.

Also, check out these numbers at Anaheim PD. http://www.anaheim.net/depts_servc/police/directory.html Copy down any and all that you feel may help you in such a situation. If worse comes to worst, call 911 and let them know you feel trapped on top of the Disneyland parking structure because "LA gang members" are driving at 50 mph and scaring you.

Also, stop parking on the roof.

Another Dimension
05-16-2006, 05:30 AM
We had a LA gang mass homicide down the street from me two weeks ago, 3 miles from the DLR.

What part of Anaheim was this in?

I'm 3-ish miles from the Resort... and pretty much 3 miles in any other direction from the DLR crosses into Garden Grove, Buena Park, Fullerton or Orange.
The other direction of travel in Anaheim that goes more than 3 miles and is still Anaheim.. is basically where I live, or straight thru it.
Just wondering where this mass homicide happened.
Well kinda concerned actually... since it sounds like it happened pretty close to here.

Any cross streets?

junglemom
05-16-2006, 06:03 AM
On Sat. night I saw "LA Gang Member" types racing their hydraulic suspension cars on the top of the Mickey and Friends garage. I had to sit in my car and hunch down and wait for them to leave. If you are ghetto and have money, Disneyland's high prices are not a problem, I see many "gang banger" types at Disneyland, many of them do have money.
I think you were smart to stay down and keep yourself out of harms way, even if others are trying to discount your actions. It's always better to go with your gut instinct. Good thinking.

stan4d_steph
05-16-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm not the confrontational type, but if I ever see anyone touch this statue (no less any other item) with anything other than a gentle pat, they'd better be prepared to explain themselves to me and whatever Security I can summon. Ah, I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent!I'm not confrontational either, but I think you're right to do something, even if it is just to get security to come and deal with it.

I don't understand vandalism either, but it's usually done with a juvenile mindset, whether it's a juvenile doing it or not. There's usually no real concern or care for the consequences on others, or it's done to provoke a negative response. Either way, it's a lousy thing to do.

hg0079
05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
i would stay out of this one....only because it might be easy for them to figure out which car reported it and with cars come licence plates etc.

Just because one ducks doesn't mean they don't care :)

I would have though reported it later for an FYI

chrisaustx
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
What part of Anaheim was this in?

I'm 3-ish miles from the Resort... and pretty much 3 miles in any other direction from the DLR crosses into Garden Grove, Buena Park, Fullerton or Orange.
The other direction of travel in Anaheim that goes more than 3 miles and is still Anaheim.. is basically where I live, or straight thru it.
Just wondering where this mass homicide happened.
Well kinda concerned actually... since it sounds like it happened pretty close to here.

Any cross streets?
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=4151476

Osky
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
That is about six miles via the shortest route to the closest part of the park, S Disneyland Dr & W Katella Ave. http://tinyurl.com/ffdn4

chrisaustx
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
If you take CA-22 and exit Harbor blvd, you are about 5 to 8 min. from Disneyland, in Southern CA, six miles is just down the street. My point is this can happen anywhere down here, so always be alert of your surroundings. I won't even go into the random freeway shootings that have been happening down here, we are having on avg. 2 per week now, so just be alert of what is going on around you.

Osky
05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
If you take CA-22 and exit Harbor blvd, you are about 5 to 8 min. from Disneyland, in Southern CA, six miles is just down the street.

I think that is valid. I don't know of very many nice places in southern california that isn't just minutes from places where crimes happen with regular frequency. Sure it can happen anywhere, but three miles was starting to encroach on my comfort buffer, where six miles does not.

chrisaustx
05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh something real bad happened down Katella from Disneyland in Garden Grove, another gang drive by, that incident was less than 3 miles from DLR. For the most part this stuff happens at night, my mother wouldn't understand why I wouldn't let her walk down Harbor Blvd alone to her hotel at 12am. :)

Osky
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I have walked around parts of the resort late at night, and I do not think I would feel uncomfortable doing so. However, I would not venture beyond the boundaries of the resort proper at night, and probably not during the day without someone else with me either.

I don't know how it is now, (better, worse, or the same), but back in the day I would not have ventured even 1 block west of the park from the Disneyland Hotel.

geoffa
05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I think you were smart to stay down and keep yourself out of harms way, even if others are trying to discount your actions. It's always better to go with your gut instinct. Good thinking.

Keep out of harm's way by all means but if your actions are to do nothing then vandalism and a threat culture survive. Calling security or 911 would have been the answer surely. They are the professionals and they are what you pay park entrance and taxes for - not just the rides."All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing" Yob culture is ruining our lives. Why should we put up with it? Our governments take no notice whatsoever. Here in the U.K. plane hijackers are reckoned to have "human rights" and consequently can't be deported. Need any more proof that the world has gone mad?
That said, how do you identify someone as an L A gang member? Were they, in fact, just youths?:confused:

SeansMom
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I think you were smart to stay down and keep yourself out of harms way, even if others are trying to discount your actions. It's always better to go with your gut instinct. Good thinking. Me too. Having worked in the school system, and being a Mom, I'm pretty good at confrontation, but sometimes it's better to just let things go. And then, in hindsight, it's easy to say, "just call on your cell", but our minds don't always process, especially when tired. Listening to your gut, IMO, always a good thing!

hg0079
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
geoffa

I disagree to some point... if you fear you would be in danger you shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not doing something.

Another Dimension
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the URL. I had heard about that shooting...

But it wasn't in Anaheim.

Stanton IMO is really just a buffer city... tween Anaheim, Westminster and Santa Ana. Thankfully.
I love what I call the buffer cities around here. Garden Grove is my personal favorite. Tween Anaheim and Santa Ana.

AFAIK Stanton isn't really even actually an incorporated city, and doesn't even have it's own police force.
It was, (still probably is) all patrolled by the OC Sheriff.

Most of the city is industrial parks... and has, (well it used to a few years ago) have a lot of meth heads and gangs.
So the violent crime is unfortunately often expected in Stanton. :(

Another Dimension
05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know how it is now, (better, worse, or the same), but back in the day I would not have ventured even 1 block west of the park from the Disneyland Hotel.

I walked that now almost completely traffic blocked off neighborhood (Jeffrey/Lynne) in the last Census. Only armed with a clipboard, a badge and some pencils. It wasn't really that bad.
Most people seemed to scatter and hide in their homes like I was the INS. :confused:
That neighborhood isn't a nice one.. but it's not that bad compared to Santa Ana or many places in LA County. I don't recommend walking along or in the neighborhood west of the hotels though.

Walking up and down Katella and/or Harbor at any time of the day or night doesn't bother me. But then we used to spend weekends in Hollywood and downtown LA... just wherever, after gigs.

PapiBear
05-17-2006, 01:05 AM

Oh, please, a Thai guy and a Latino guy and an unidentified woman get shot in a French-named (and presumably Vietnamese-owned) restaurant way over in STANTON and you're worried about a few lowriders having a good time hotdogging around on the roof of a parking garage in Anaheim?

Dude, you crack me up. Face it, you let your irrational fear control you. Just because someone's a thug or drives a certain car or doesn't act like they do back in your little cul-de-sac doesn't mean they're looking to hurt you. You're too influenced by the media, and the media just loves to sell fear and ethnic divisiveness.

If these lowriders were actually harassing you or other Park guests, sure, that'd be a problem and something you should report, either then on your cell phone or later once you left the parking garage roof and got down to ground level. The Anaheim PD has its South District office right on Disneyland Drive, man - http://www.anaheim.net/depts_servc/police/art/southmap.gif
If you have a problem or fear for your safety - CALL THEM. 714-765-3400 Don't second-guess and assume that "they might not do anything," CALL THEM and ask for assistance. That's their job.

PapiBear
05-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Stanton IMO is really just a buffer city... tween Anaheim, Westminster and Santa Ana. Thankfully.
I love what I call the buffer cities around here. Garden Grove is my personal favorite. Tween Anaheim and Santa Ana.As someone who was born in Santa Ana and lived there for many years, I take offense to your thinly veiled diss. Orange County isn't designed to have "buffer" cities between assumed "safe" areas and assumed "unsafe" areas. There's plenty of crime in Anaheim and Garden Grove to go around.

AFAIK Stanton isn't really even actually an incorporated city, and doesn't even have it's own police force.
It was, (still probably is) all patrolled by the OC Sheriff.Well, you're only partially right. Stanton was incorporated (for the second time in its history) back in 1956 and has a city hall, a mayor, etc.. http://www.ci.stanton.ca.us/fastfacts.html Police services, however, are indeed provided by the OCSD. Given the fact that the city is only 3.1 square miles and has a population of only 38,000, that's probably sufficient.

Most of the city is industrial parks... and has, (well it used to a few years ago) have a lot of meth heads and gangs.
So the violent crime is unfortunately often expected in Stanton. :([/QUOTE]Only because Stanton borders your wonderful Garden Grove (still called "Garbage Grove" by some), longtime home to dozens of Asian gangs.

Another Dimension
05-17-2006, 06:23 AM
As someone who was born in Santa Ana and lived there for many years, I take offense to your thinly veiled diss. Orange County isn't designed to have "buffer" cities between assumed "safe" areas and assumed "unsafe" areas. There's plenty of crime in Anaheim and Garden Grove to go around.

1. It wasn't thinly veiled.

2. I said I considered it one of the buffer cities... and honestly... I didn't ask for your opinion based on my opinion about where I live and the surrounding cities and neighborhoods.

I've lived here over 30 years.. so I am more than qualified to state my own opinions about OC's good cities and bad cities.
And I will continue to do so.

Just because I wasn't born in SA doesn't mean I haven't gone to carnivals, art and other museums, parks, parties, gigs and other events in SA over the past 4 decades ... and done many other things there over the years.

Well, you're only partially right. Stanton was incorporated (for the second time in its history) back in 1956 and has a city hall, a mayor, etc.. http://www.ci.stanton.ca.us/fastfacts.html Police services, however, are indeed provided by the OCSD. Given the fact that the city is only 3.1 square miles and has a population of only 38,000, that's probably sufficient.

Only because Stanton borders your wonderful Garden Grove (still called "Garbage Grove" by some), longtime home to dozens of Asian gangs.

hahaha.
1. It sounds like I was completely right about Stanton.. but anyway.

2. My wonderful Garden Grove? I said I think it's a buffer city... please don't confuse that not so great city with Anaheim.
Which is my wonderful city.

3. Westminster has way more Asian gangs than Garden Grove. Yes I personally counted them all :rolleyes:
....and those of them that carve on stuff to be cool or to belong or to represent something stupid.... are low life, disrepectful, badly parented, trash.

I gotta call 'em as I see 'em. I'm funny like that.

4. I don't call it Garbage Grove. If I called GG "garbage".. what would I call most of Santa Ana? :rolleyes:

5. Love the White Rabbit Statue... looks cool. Nice theming on the refurbed restrooms too.