PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice for Soarin'...

Pages : [1] 2

RockDoc07
05-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone-

SO. Here's the deal :) My girlfriend has never been to California. I haven't been to Disneyland in 13 years. We're going while I have a week off in June (we're both from Illinois). We've been planning our trip and thus have been planning the things we definitely want to see at DLR and DCA. The only thing I said I absolutely will NOT go on is Space Mountain, Screamin', Tower of Terror, and Maliboomer (I'm not one for really big thrill rides and I HATE really big drops). Anywho...

I am really torn about what to do with Soarin' Over California. I have heard that it is an absolute must see and possibly the best ride in all of DCA (although I am really looking forward to Grizzly River Run). There's only one problem... the whole big drops thing is because I really don't do well with heights. I once went on a ski lift in the summer when there was no snow and I was a wreck the whole ride up and back down the mountain. So, faithful readers here, I was wondering if any of you had any advice. Is it really that bad? Should I suck it up? Will I really just not enjoy the entire experience? I've been reading all these sites that say it's an awesome ride but might not be great for people that don't handle heights well.

People of the MousePlanet, I ask for your help!

Thanks gang :)

Glad to be a new member of the forum,
RockDoc07

THpoohbear
05-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey! I say go for it. If you find that at any point you are bothered by the visuals of being high, then you can simply close your eyes. The simulation movements are very gentle, and I think they are relaxing. Also, there are three rows in the ride. Row 1 ends up being highest of the ground, so you might request row 3 which is the closest to the ground. I hope you enjoy it!:)

simbaNnala101
05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
It is deffinatly a must see ride and I would suck it up. Its really not bad my sister is 30 and has a fear of hights and flying and its her favorite ride. Its really very cool and I really think that you will regret if you do not experiance this ride. Have fun.

~Ash~

biolabetty
05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
My mother has a fear of heights and simply kept her eyes closed, but she didn't really like it. She happened to mention her experience to a security guard while waiting for DCA rope drop, and he said that he starts looking for the squares that make up the screen. That keeps him distracted enough and he doesn't get bothered by the height. It's an idea, I don't know if it really works though, I don't think we'll make my mom ride it again.

Pirate Princess
05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
If you are on row 3 then you aren't far off the ground AT ALL. However, the screen in front of you will give you the illusion that you are REALLY far off the ground... so as the previous poster said... closing your eyes will fix the problem if you are scared. The ride only gently sways so, with your eyes closed, it will be like a rocking ship and shouldn't bother you at all. Good luck!

hg0079
05-15-2006, 10:15 PM
for the type of the ride, soaring isn't bad at all.

I think you will enjoy it.

darph nader
05-15-2006, 11:09 PM
If you are on row 3 then you aren't far off the ground AT ALL. However, the screen in front of you will give you the illusion that you are REALLY far off the ground... so as the previous poster said... closing your eyes will fix the problem if you are scared. The ride only gently sways so, with your eyes closed, it will be like a rocking ship and shouldn't bother you at all. Good luck!

Like h22 said it's mostly illusion,but with i-max.Ride Star Tours first. Simulator rides are just that.If things get bad either close your eyes OR stare right at the middle of the screen.This may sound strange,but years ago i took a boat cruise out to Catalina Island.The seas were pretty rough.At first i sat against the far side of the boat.Got kinda woozy.So i turned around to watch the waves up close instead of across the boat. Same waves,just different perspective.Good luck and have FUN.:cool:

Omnitographer
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
i dont like being up high, say on a ladder, even if its just 3 steps up. however i can hop on the maliboomer without a second thought simply because i *know* i am safe. when im not in control, i tend to feel safer.

If you have never been on maliboomer, give it a try, you may conquer your fear :D

animagusurreal
05-16-2006, 02:22 AM
There aren't really any simulated "drops" or "steep dives" or other thrill-ride- type scares, though it does feel like you're...well, soarin' ;).

When I was a kid, and my mother and I went on Peter Pan's Flight for the first time, when we got to the part where you dive into Never Never Land, which looks like it's thousands of feet below, she thought we really were thousands of feet up for a moment and started freaking out :D.

I'm another one who's usually terrified of heights, especially ladders. Also, the lifts on some of the Magic Mountain coasters got to me, particularly the one on Riddler's Revenge, where it goes up reaaaaaaaal slowwwwwwwww <shudders> .

For some reason, DLR coasters and Tower don't bother me. Maybe it's all the theming, looking like you're on a mountain as opposed to a skinny little scaffolding of a track like at Magic Mountain. Of course, the drops are generally way bigger at Magic Mountain, too.

I've yet to try the Maliboomer, being on the outside of it like that scares me.

Vegitabeta
05-16-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm scared of heights usually, but I love Soarin'!

Enter The Mouse
05-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Yeah, my mom hates heights but thats her favorite ride.

Also, You said you would never do Space Mountain, which really isn't that bad. Its nothing compared to the others on your list.

I would say its close to Matterhorn or Big Thunder Mountain.

Its really cool, so is soarin'

Vegitabeta
05-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Yeah, my mom hates heights but thats her favorite ride.

Also, You said you would never do Space Mountain, which really isn't that bad. Its nothing compared to the others on your list.

I would say its close to Matterhorn or Big Thunder Mountain.

Its really cool, so is soarin'
Yeah, Space Mountain at DL isn't that bad. Me and my dad went on and were waiting for the big drop...and it never happened!

sierranevada
05-16-2006, 05:55 AM
First of all, welcome to Mousepad!!

As others have said, I would definitely try Soarin'. Explain to the CM that you are afraid of heights and ask to be put in the third row. It is a very gentle ride and really should not be missed.

Good luck and report back!

janell
05-16-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure if this will help, but you can always ask a cast member to seat you on the bottom row. That way your not up so high. And maybe in the middle of the row would be helpful too.

Its a great ride, I hope your able to enjoy it. Have a wonderful trip.

hlbtimes2
05-16-2006, 08:31 AM
I dont do well with heights either. I'm the one that stands 5 feet away from the guard rail when we are in the mountains/ canyons. I dont go outside when we are in the space needle. But, I love soarin'. There was one part the first time I rode it that sort of bothered me. But, it was just for a split second, and that same part hasnt bothered me since.

amarvel
05-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I hate heights and have zero issues wit this ride, its amazing! But if you do have issues, i'd ask to sit on the back, lowest row, that way you'd be much closer to the ground then if you are in the front/highest row.

Sailor Butterfly
05-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I recently went on Soarin' with huge misgivings. I do not like heights and have issues with darkness. My boyfriend and I sat in the bottom row and except for the begining part, I was just fine. It freaked me out a tad when the rows move to be closer to the screen and I could see a gap below us. But as soon as the movie started I was enthralled with the sights and smells (still not sure why San Fransisco smelled like watermelon lol) and forgot all about my fears. I told my boyfriend that I'd love to do it again.

MrsG
05-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Welcome RocDoc!

I don't do any of the rides you mentioned either (plus add Star Tours). I was nervous the first time on Soarin'. Heights freak me out (and those ski trams totally freak me out!) So on Soarin' parts feel very high and for the first few times on the ride, I was a white knuckle rider and closed my eyes often. Now, no problem.

As a fellow chicken, I say do it. At least on this attraction you have the option of closing your eyes!

splash
05-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Soaring over California is really a great ride. I was worried about motion sickness, but it is very smooth. Truthfully, while you are watching the movie, you probably won't even realize you are up high. I would suggest that you do the first row because if you do the second or third row, you will see the feet of the people in front of you and it ruins the experience. Have fun and Seize the Day! You will never have to wonder if you do it.

twist1980
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I think everyone gave you really good advice. But I just wanted to welcome you to Mouseplanet! I recommend that you try Soarin'. It is such an amazing ride!

wabby1
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I too have a fear of heights, but I must say that "Soarin'" is absolutely fun and exciting. I would say SUCK IT UP! Go...enjoy....pretend you're Peter Pan and fly across the Golden State.

We took my parents on the attraction, who were into their seventies at the time, and it thrilled them to no end! My mother LOVED it, and since then, "Soarin'" has easily become our favorite attraction at DCA.

geoffa
05-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah! Welcome to Mouse Planet. One tip - if you feel that the "effects" are getting to you look to the edge of the screen. Your brain will cease to be "fooled" by the motion. Ask the CM to place you on the third (back row) as this is the nearest to the ground when the structure lifts. If you tend to keep your gaze to the mid to bottom of the screen you won't see any feet dangling in your eyeline.
The overall "raison d'etre" of the ride is to simulate a hand glider ride over California. You can view the film shown in the ride at WDWMagic(they charge) but that would of course be a kind of spoiler but you would be able to judge the various sites, angles and heights in the film. Hope all this helps.

SeansMom
05-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Welcome :)! I don't ride the rides you mentioned, either, and I'm also not fond of flying. However, I loved Soarin' from the first time I rode it. It's worth a try. Just follow above advice and I think you'll be fine. As other's mentioned, there are no jerky movements so it lacks the roller-coaster or elevator dropping out from under you feeling. And enjoy DL/DCA!

Crazy4DL
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I am like so many others here, not big on heights or those drops . . . I loved Soarin'. It is my favorite ride of all in DCA. I would sure give it a try if I were you. I would hate for you to miss it.

JosieGirl71
05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I have a fear of heights and Soarin' bothered me (and ToT was insane). However, I can ride Maliboomer with not much of a problem. The difference is that you just have a seatbelt to secure you on Soarin' (and ToT) but you have the whole over-the-shoulder harness system on Maliboomer. It's all in your head.

Do you actually need more than a seatbelt on Soarin'? No, but my mind just couldn't get over that fact. Will it keep me from riding Soarin (or ToT) again? No way! It is a must see!

Good luck!