PDA

View Full Version : Newbie going to DLR May26-31 and needs advice

BCmomof3
05-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Hello everyone.

I have really been enjoying reading the threads and I have some questions and would like some advise. I haven't been to DLR for 20 years and my children (14, 11 and 8) have never been and are VERY excited. We had a choice of going to DLR now or in mid August. I decided now because I thought the weather would not be so hot and perhaps it wouldn't be so busy. Well I now realized we booked over the memorial day weekend! So my question is this. We will be there Sat., Sun., Mon., Tues., and we leave from LA on an 8:00pm flight on Weds. We have a 3 day pass. So which days should we go to DLR for smaller line-ups? Tuesday is a given! But do you think Monday would be less crowded than Sat. or Sun.? Sat. and Sun. has the Electric light Parade, but Mon. doesn't so I want to go on at least one of those days to see EP.
What days would you choose? And would CA be less busy than DL?

Also, we are staying at the Marriott suites which isn't super close so going back and forth to our hotel isn't very convenient.
So where are the Best places to eat in DL or CA? I don't want to leave the park to eat and I don't mind paying for food that is provided with great disney "atmosphere" Like the Bayou was (but it is closed WAHHHHH!!! If I had known that ahead of time I would have booked our trip in August inspite of the heat, but August is probably even busier, right?). So are there any special places to eat that you would recomend?

Phantom2006
05-15-2006, 12:11 AM
All I can say is that you have to see the fireworks and Fantasmic! I would say going on a Sunday would be better, Sat are always bad i think. I dont know about the EP. I would go on Sun, Mon, Tues. For food: DL - Rancho Del Zocalo, Blue Bayou would be my top picks and for DCA i would say, the name excapes me, but the Burger place in Condor Flats buy Sorin.

potzbie
05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
20 years???
That is a long time.

Things have changed.
• No Wally Boag/Slue Foot Sue in the Golden Horseshoe Revue.
• No mermaids in the Submarine lagoon.
• No Monsanto House of Tomorrow
:crying:

Just kidding.
;)

You missed Disneyland's 30th anniversary, too!
;) ;)

tensixmom
05-15-2006, 05:35 AM
20 years is a long time!

I have a 12, 11 and 5 yoa so I can tell you what they tend to like. They liked ESPN zone in DTD, and the food was pretty good. I had hard time pulling them from the games afterwards, but it was all good. They also like Storyteller Cafe in California Grand, although this last time we went for lunch the service was terrible, but when we went back for dinner it was fine. They also like Rocket Rods Pizza Port over by Space Mountain. They can get pizza or pasta and salad, etc. We all love Carnation Cafe on Main Street for breakfast, Mickey Mouse waffles are the best. And as ultimate last resort, Mc Donalds and IHOP are right outside the gate.

Saturday and Sunday are going to be extremely busy, Monday will be busy also but probably not as bad, Tuesday is going to be your best day. Definately see Fantasmic and the fireworks, and the parade. Remember to use Fast Pass on the busy days, it will help with the lines, but get them early.

Hoppypooh
05-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Since you asked about food...

At DCA, we really enjoyed Taste Pilot's Grill. It's burgers and such but the portions were big and for fast food, it was quite tasty. It's a little strange though because you order on your own on a little computer, and then pay and pick up at a counter with real human beings.

At DTD, we had an awful experience at the Rainforest cafe, long wait, bad service, overpriced food, noisy and crowded. We would never go back. We loved ESPN though, decent food, fun games and lots of big screen tv's.

For charcter meals, Storytellers at the GCH is a gorgeous location with great food but minimal charcters (we only saw 3.) Goofy's Kitchen at the DLH was decent food and lots of charcters (Goofy, Pluto, Mad hatter, Mary Poppins, Donald etc.) but it can be a litle cramped and loud and expensive. Plaza Inn was also good food, it's right in the park at DL and there were lots of characters (Pooh, Tigger, Minnie, Hook, Peter Pan, Chip/Dale, Eeyore etc.) We found them to be more spontaneous and funny here.

At DL, we enjoyed Redd Rocket's pasta - the portions are huge - easily enough to share, but also very crowded. River Belle Terrace is quite peaceful with okay food.

Have fun!

nursemelis374
05-15-2006, 07:22 AM
How exciting for you!

As far as visiting on Sunday, although it will be technically less crowded that day as compared to Saturday, I went last year the day before Memorial Day and it was insane! It was even hard to walk around and we were literally miserable. I suggest going on Monday, as I heard from many people that it was less crowded. Just get there nice and early that day, take a break (I know you are not staying close, but this still may be nice) in the afternoon, and then come back fro the evening stuff. Tuesday and Wednesday should be great! I think you could do almost everything on Mon - Wed.

I would recommend eating at Whitewater Snacks and Storyteller's in the Grand Californian. WW is a delicious and reasonable priced quick service that is easily accessible from DCA. I love the Storyteller's breakfast and have heard the other meals are also great!

Have fun!

05-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I would recommend eating at Whitewater Snacks and Storyteller's in the Grand Californian. WW is a delicious and reasonable priced quick service that is easily accessible from DCA. I love the Storyteller's breakfast and have heard the other meals are also great!

What nursemelis374 said! The Storytellers lunch is not that good, people say. But you'll be in the parks for that. The breakfast and dinner at Storytellers are really nice. You can easily split the entrees at Whitewater Snacks.

The secret of DLR food is that the portions are huge enough to split easily. Believe me, my daughters (12 and 15 at our last visit) and I love food. We split food at the French Market in New Orleans Square and at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland and left quite full.

Have a lovely trip!

MileHighAko
05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
We'll be in the park the same time. We arrive on Monday, memorial day, spending 4 days in the part starting Tuesday, returning Saturday.

To answer your question, I think you're safe any day, with Monday being the most crowded. We were there last year same time as you describe and Saturday before memorial day wasn't too bad. By late afternoon and the fireworks that night it was packed, but we didn't find it too bad. We didn't go in the park on Monday, but returned Tuesday to 5-minute lines and easy going.

Be sure to take advantage of the early admission.

THpoohbear
05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
As for a great food place with atmosphere, I suggest the River Bell Terrace for breakfast. I love it! Fast line, (usually), and Walt ate breakfast there while watching the Mark Twain riverboat! I love sitting right next to the railing watching the people go by, watching the ships, and listening to the great Rivers of America music! If you sit on the right side (as you are facing the restaurant) then you should be able to hear tarzan's tree house too. They stop breakfast at 11:45, so I suggest hitting rides early in the morning, then stopping for a late breakfast which can serve as lunch. They serve mickey pancakes! And their breakfast potatoes are SO yummy!

As for crowds, I think Monday will be less crowded than either Sat. or Sun. Usually Sundays are less crowded at DL, than Sat., with the crowds being busier at DCA on Sundays. You could see the electrical parade and the 2nd Fantasmic on Sunday, and watch fireworks on Monday.

I hope you have a GREAT time!

WITron
05-15-2006, 09:42 PM
There are other ways to take a break at the parks rather than going back to the hotel. You could go over to Tom Sawyer Island and sit on a bench while the kids play, take in the show at the golden Horeshoe, or watch the Tiki Birds.

BCmomof3
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Well this is my tentative plan......let me know what you think. We arrive May 26 late.
Saturday (May 27)go to DL and then to CA for the Aladin show, and Electric light parade and back to DL for late fantasmic (tell me if I am crazy). I decided on Sat. because the children (14, 11, 8) will not be happy until they've been in DL (they have never been before).

Sunday go to the beach (the children want to see BIG waves).
Monday go to DL. We have PS for Ariels Grotto in CA for 5:30. Go back to DL for fireworks.

Tuesday (May 30) do EE. Spend the day doing everything again or for the first time. See Billy Hill and the hillbillies (my 8 yr. old fiddles!).

Weds. Get a Birthday sticker for 11 yr.old son. He will be 12 on June 3. Enjoy rides for last time. Have to leave at 3:00 to catch airport transfer at 5:30.
So it will be a teary eyed goodbye......

So do you think this is a good "plan"? Anything I should add or change?