View Full Version : what happens at orientation

cameraman
04-22-2002, 10:47 AM
just want to know so when i go i know it ahead of time

Uncle Dick
04-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by cameraman
just want to know so when i go i know it ahead of time
Are you talking about New Hire orientation? If so, basically, after signing in, you go up to this room and watch a couple of videos about the Disney Company, do some trivia icebreakers and learn all about the "4 keys" (Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency). Then, it's off into the parks where you get to see the "4 keys" in action. After walking around for a while and getting a tour of sorts, you get to watch another exciting movie about disabled guests. Finally, it's back to TDA for more movies and speeches and what not. Have fun!

corrinhorn
04-22-2002, 12:05 PM
I am right with Uncle Dick in this one...

it also depends on what you are going to work in, because each department has specialized training as well... for outdoor Vending My Orentation and training ran almost two weeks...however that was two years ago... we had to learn a bunch of stuff that didn't apply to us, such as making food, which ODV doesn't do much of...oh well. Just remember to have fun, and enjoythe sexual harassment video, those are always funny...( not sexual harassment, of course, but the way they portray it in the video:))

Enjoy

bluepearl
04-22-2002, 03:21 PM
On your general resort orientation day, it's nearly eight hours of sitting in a theater watching videos that were made in the early 90s or so. Basically, your bottom gets numb and you might doze off. ;) Just kidding! Well, the sarcastic bit. But looks like Uncle Dick and corrinhorn have pretty much laid it down for you.

Beware of really cheesy things in some of these videos. Aren't all orientation videos really cheesy? Anyway, you get to meet some cool people as well. My orientation leader was Sue from Food Ops and she was really nice. There was another orientation leader that was really funny (he went over the perks and the last key), but I can't remember his name anymore!

Uncle Dick
04-22-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn
Just remember to have fun, and enjoythe sexual harassment video, those are always funny...( not sexual harassment, of course, but the way they portray it in the video:))
Oh yeah, the sexual harassment video was classic. It's tough because you want to just start laughing hysterically during the video, but "Sexual harassment is no laughing manner" and the management-type dude is standing right there so you have to try hard to keep a straight face. It reminded me of those good ol' sex ed videos back in 6th grade. :)

Another good one is the "intoxicated guests" video which was recently introduced with the opening of DtD and DCA. The videos display guests behaving badly in various states of "intoxication" (the word "drunk" is not in Disney vocabulary) and you have to try and gauge how intoxicated each guest is. It's fun for the whole family.

tabacco
04-22-2002, 09:34 PM
Oh please... my LOB trainer said something along the lines of "This one's just hilarious" when she put it in the VCR :)

My favorite part of the orientation was the "value the magic" bit, with the example of Indiana Jones being down.

"You know the snake? [creates indy snakelike configuration from forearms, then gestures the snake striking] Well, it went like this [forearm 'snake' falls flat with a 'pfft' sound effect]."

You guys probably know what I mean :)

Speaking of videos... has anyone seen the guest service training video that opens with the guy in the diner? That's probably my favorite training video of all time :)

bluepearl
04-22-2002, 11:10 PM
The alcohol awareness video!! That one's hilarious. We were all laughing at some of the skits in there, and one of our LOB trainers pointed out her favorite, which I can't remember at the moment. I've come across some guests that smelled like they had a bit too much to drink.

Tabacco: What does that video deal with?

PhilMP
04-22-2002, 11:13 PM
My orientation was classic. We didn't tour the park or anything, since this was a phase when they thought that a bunch of people in "casual conservative" attire and stick-on "Hello my name is..." name tags wasn't exactly in the park's best interest.

I enjoyed the disability video, which just happened to be filmed at a Magic Mountain theme park. Plus the video about courtesy, where the popcorn vendor watches a Guest drop 2 boxes of popcorn and simply goes "now look what you did..." or something to that effect. It was hilarious because I could relate to it since that was my department.

I loved the sexual harassment video. It seemed like a low-budged B-movie. "Yeah, and they have those...those...calendars, hanging on the walls. And they tell those...jokes in the break room." Fun for the whole family, if you ask me.

Seemed like a very long, sometimes boring improv comedy show, if you ask me.

Phil

tabacco
04-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Pearl: It's just about how to provide good guest service. They showed it to us both in a Disney University class and in Vacation Planner update training (a main entrance thing).

One of the how not to scenes:

[ Gas station ]
Attendant: "Pump number please?"
Host: "Uh, I don't know. It's that one over there."
Attendent: "What pump number, please?"
Host: "I'm really not sure, I didn't think to look. It's just this one right here."
Attendent: "WHAT PUMP, SIR?"

[ Cuts back to the host, narrating ]

Host: I wonder what she must be like away from work.

[ Attendent in a part setting, with a tray of hors d' oeuvres ]

Attendent: Hors d' oeuvres?
[ party guest ignores her ]
Attendent (Increasingly irritated and pushy): Hors d' oeuvres?
[ party guest continues ignoring her ]
Attendent (Practically screaming): Hors d' oeuvres?
[ She dumps the tray onto one of the guests ]

tikiboy
04-23-2002, 07:09 AM
When I worked at Disney U for Foods, we re-did all the training videos. I believe that was in 1997. This was for the "Restaurants and You" class, then they changed it to "Welcome to Eatertainment." Heaven knows what it's called now.

. Plus the video about courtesy, where the popcorn vendor watches a Guest drop 2 boxes of popcorn and simply goes "now look what you did..." or something to that effect.

That one was pretty funny, we filmed that at the popcorn cart at the hub and it went like this:

CM: "Be careful with all that popcorn"
(Guest starts walking away with 7 things of popcorn, gets about two feet away, and drops them all)
CM: "I told you to be careful"
(CM then starts cleaning his location.)

The one I'm in was filmed in the seating area over by Stage Door cafe. I play this guy in a Hawaiian shirt(Gee what a stretch!) who spills his soda and the CM tells me where I can go buy another one.

Man, those were fun times.

corrinhorn
04-23-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
Speaking of videos... has anyone seen the guest service training video that opens with the guy in the diner? That's probably my favorite training video of all time :)

Is that the one where he talks about the cheap little diner that he goes to even though his wife doesn't like it? If so that one was good, but I didn't see it at Disneyland, I saw it at the grocery store I used to work for that is also the name of a simpsons character ;)

Yeah all of those videos were good, w someone should start a thread for good orientation video moments (everytime I start a thread, it flops:crying:)

I am very upset that I didn't get to see the "Intoxicated guest" video, sounds like a classic...

oh well, see you in the park sometime...

Iceman
04-23-2002, 07:55 AM
As someone who has never seen these videos all I can say is this: they must be good if you guys are all still talking about them and remember them years after viewing! They may be cheesy and funny and all, but they have clearly done an admirable job giving you a common experience and helping you think of yourselves as part of the Disney family. There's a reason so many other companies look to Disney U as "the" way to bring in new employees!

corrinhorn
04-23-2002, 08:12 AM
Actually, I don't remember more then one or two things from the video mostly don't sexually harass people, and Help guests when they have a problem, but now that I think about it, that is basically what you need to know at Disneyland...
...good job guys:D

tabacco
04-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by corrinhorn

Is that the one where he talks about the cheap little diner that he goes to even though his wife doesn't like it? If so that one was good, but I didn't see it at Disneyland, I saw it at the grocery store I used to work for that is also the name of a simpsons character ;)

Yep, that's the one! :)

Originally posted by Iceman

As someone who has never seen these videos all I can say is this: they must be good if you guys are all still talking about them and remember them years after viewing! They may be cheesy and funny and all, but they have clearly done an admirable job giving you a common experience and helping you think of yourselves as part of the Disney family. There's a reason so many other companies look to Disney U as "the" way to bring in new employees!

Not neccesarily... most of the training videos are just common sense, really. Or at least they SHOULD be.

Iceman
04-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Oh, I know it's all common sense. What I meant is that every cast member watches the silly things, laughs at the same places, and you have a sense of fellowship for having gone through the experience together. It is a common bond that all cast members share. If they were really boring or ineffective, people wouldn't remember certain scenes. They certainly wouldn't want to talk and joke about them with other people! This is something that makes monorail drivers, food vendors, street sweepers, attraction attendants, front desk clerks, and all the other members of the team feel that they ARE part of a unified team.

Or at least it seems that way to me. :)

bluepearl
04-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Okay, I don't remember that guest service video, but it could've been shown at a moment when I was just spaced out after watching so many videos. :lol:

I also found the safety training to be quite humorous. The "high-five," red/yellow/green positions, etc. I swear I've never had so much training for one job!