PDA

View Full Version : Hand Stamps--Any Problems?

barely
05-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Any problems with re-entry hand stamps washing off in the pool, etc? This is a fear of mine--what to do if it should happen to me?

geoffa
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
You may not be able to see them after water contact but they are still there - they last for a number of days. Check under any u.v. light

Vegitabeta
05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Believe me, you have to almost scrub your hand off to remove them, so don't worry about the pool!

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-12-2006, 11:05 AM
They come off really easy with rubbing alcohol, but that's about it.

--TLMt

Quinten27
05-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Speaking of the hand stamps........when I was there in March, the stamps gave my daughter a severe allergic reaction, which is STILL visible. After we first noticed the rash, we asked a cast member about it and they put her on a special list so that she could re-enter w/o a stamp. But I also asked the CM if they knew what was in the ink, so that we'd know what she was having a reaction to. Obvoiusly the cast member didn't know off the top of his head, so he went and got a bottle of it........only to find the bottle didn't list the ingredients.

Does anyone have any idea of what is in the ink that could cause this? She's never had a reaction to other types of hand stamps, and wasn't allergic to anything, as far as we knew before this.

Bolivar
05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
What you should have done (and what I wouldn't have thought of either in the heat of the moment) is take down the manufacturer's name and the name of the ink. I'm sure a quick google for the company name would get you an email address where you could ask that question.

Of course they might think you were a spy from the competing ink company out to steal their secret formula.

AVP
05-12-2006, 05:26 PM
only to find the bottle didn't list the ingredients.
Does anyone have any idea of what is in the ink that could cause this? Oddy enough, yes. This is something I reserarched for an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer020805.htm)a few years ago, because of the concern others were having about reactions to the ink. Here's what I wrote at the time:

Disneyland uses an invisible ink, (WI-A800), made by Willard Marking Devices in Irvine. The label on the bottle contains a warning. "Avoid prolonged exposure with skin". I asked for the MSDS, (Material Data Safety Sheet), for the ink, and learned that the substance is classified as a Level 2, or moderate, health hazard, and is "potentially carcinogenic".

Needless to say, I don't get handstamps, and thank goodness APs don't need them anymore. As often as I go to Disneyland, it would be my luck that I would end up with a melanoma that read "Jafar."

AVP

DisneyBob
05-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Disneyland now uses Blak-Ray Readmission Ink from Hitt Marking.

Here's the link: http://www.hittmarking.com/UltravioletLampsInk.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Disneytwins
05-12-2006, 06:13 PM
What doesn't cause cancer? your pretty screwed anyway... it gets to the point where you don't give a S*** what is a carcinogen.

I knew the ingrediants at one time but I forgot.

blackjackdelta
05-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Went to a H2Opark one afternoon and had no problem getting back in later.

Jack