PDA

View Full Version : Question about SB Castle

SweenyTodd
04-22-2002, 07:31 AM
Looking for some park experts here...

Okay - so the park opened in 1955, but the Sleeping Beauty movie wasn't released until 1959.

My question is: Has it always been called "Sleeping Beauty Castle?" Even during the four years when "Sleeping Beauty" wasn't a Disney known entity?

And, in a related question, has the walk-thru display inside the castle always been there? Or was it added after the movie was made?

Just huntin' for history.

JM

GREGOR
04-22-2002, 07:38 AM
I can't say about the timeline stuff but I do know the walk-thru was added a few years after the castle opened. It was donated by Shirley Temple.

innerSpaceman
04-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by GREGOR
It was donated by Shirley Temple.
Well, it was dedicated by Shirley Temple, but I think Disney paid for the walk-thru attraction. ;)

The castle was always called Sleeping Beauty Castle, even though built before the film was released. Remember, these animated films took years and years to complete.

mad4mky
04-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Even the Carousel had the pictures of Sleeping Beauty on it...even though it's King Arthur's Carousel.

When I took the "Walking in Walt's Footsteps" Tour...they said they did this as early advertisement for the movie...
it was in the making...and this was a way of getting and keeping public intrest before it opened.

I don't know if this is "gospel"...but that is what we were told on the tour.:cool:

Not Afraid
04-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky
When I took the "Walking in Walt's Footsteps" Tour...they said they did this as early advertisement for the movie...
it was in the making...and this was a way of getting and keeping public intrest before it opened.

I don't know if this is "gospel"...but that is what we were told on the tour.:cool:

I've actually heard and read this from several credible sources. They spent a FORTUNE on Sleeping Beauty and did everything they could to maxamize cross promotion opportunities.

GREGOR
04-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Well, it was dedicated by Shirley Temple, but I think Disney paid for the walk-thru attraction. ;)

You're right. I think I mis-spoke.:rolleyes: I should have said many of the dolls used in the dioramas were donated by Shirley Temple.

corrinhorn
04-22-2002, 12:15 PM
The Sleeping Beauty Castle has been Sleeping Beauty since disneyland opened:

It was Walt's 200 foot coming attractions movie poster...

(the things you learn on the Disney Channel late at night;) )

9oldmen
04-22-2002, 12:30 PM
200 foot!!!?? I think you are confusing SBC w/ Cinderella's Castle in WDW and TDL. If Sleeping Beautie's Castle was 200 feet tall, well, the Matterhorn is 147 feet tall. It certainly doesn't look taller than the Matterhorn, let alone 53 feet.

mad4mky
04-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

I've actually heard and read this from several credible sources. They spent a FORTUNE on Sleeping Beauty and did everything they could to maxamize cross promotion opportunities.

Glad to know I wasn't off on this. I was pretty certain that is what our tour guide had said...:D

corrinhorn
04-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Sorry about that, when I said 200 feet, I was just noting that it was a really big Advertisment, I was not actually using the measurments. :D

Gemini Cricket
04-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
The castle was always called Sleeping Beauty Castle, even though built before the film was released. Remember, these animated films took years and years to complete.
I just watched "Sleeping Beauty" yesterday on VHS. In an interview after the show, Walt said "SB" took 6 years to make. Work on the film and Disneyland went on at the same time. He was stretched verrrry thin.:)

SoCalDisneyLover
04-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Has the castle been closed since September 11, 2001? I believe it is scheduled to be reopened in time for summer. Anybody have more information?

zapppop
04-22-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by SweenyTodd
Looking for some park experts here...
Okay - so the park opened in 1955, but the Sleeping Beauty movie wasn't released until 1959.
My question is: Has it always been called "Sleeping Beauty Castle?" Even during the four years when "Sleeping Beauty" wasn't a Disney known entity?
And, in a related question, has the walk-thru display inside the castle always been there? Or was it added after the movie was made?
Just huntin' for history.
JM
Yes, Sleeping Beauty Castle has ALWAYS been Sleeping Beauty Castle. Sleeping Beauty was in animation for six years and the castle was, in part, to promote the upcoming movie.

Now, pay attention to this:

There has been some confusion in the past and some people insist the castle's original name was " Snow White's Castle ". That's not true. What happened was, during a taping of the Disneyland tv show, Walt messed up his lines and accidentally called the castle " Snow White's Castle ". Walt is responsible for this little mix up. So if someone tells you the castle was called " Snow White's Castle, they're wrong.

Now, as for the closure of the castle, it was scheduled for a refurbishment but after the attacks on Sept. 11th, the castle was closed because Disney feared it could be a possible target for an attack. So they closed it and started the rehab early but did not give a re-opening date until after things calmed down. The castle is scheduled to re-open June 29th.

Darkbeer
04-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Could the walk-through be headed to Yesterland???? Now closed thru August 30th (per the Disney.com site). There is absolutely no signage on the castle, and if you didn't know where the enterance was (The "curtains" are still highlighting the door, and the "infamous" trash can sits in front of the door), you wouldn't have any clue about the "attraction". Plus the fact that in the current Disneyland Today Guide Map, it is not listed as an attraction. These facts do not bode well for a sentimental attraction....

Now, Cosmic Waves, listed in the Disneyland Today Guide, is defentely closed, but is not listed on the refurbishment schedule....

So what is Disney doing??? Trying to slowly make the castle walkthrough disappear???

cemeinke
04-22-2002, 09:16 PM
Darkbeer, I share your fears. The signs are definately not good for the future of this attraction.

Personnaly I thought the coolest part of the walkthrough was just being able to be in the castle itself. Since childhood that's always been a magical experience for me.

merlinjones
04-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Sleeping Beauty went into full production in 1954, and was planned to come out a year or two sooner than it did (Jan 59), as the film became far more elaborate during the production process. The name was clearly a commercial tie-in, though the film's design was not yet cemented.

Note: Sadly, the original SBC Diorama attraction opened by Shirley Temple no longer exists - - it featured flat dioramas in the style of the film, designed by Eyvind Earle and executed by Ken Anderson and Claude Coats - - much cooler than what we see there today. The original exhibit disappeared sometime in the late 70's-early 80's, replaced by the current "doll" version from the Main Street Window design people.

I want the original back! For a sample of what you are missing (in 3-D), see the View-Master Fantasyland reel packets from the 60's, which features a great shot of the diorama of Aurora sleeping.

Not Afraid
04-23-2002, 07:36 AM
I had no idea there was an original version of the diorama - designed by Eyvind Earl no less! He's one of my top 5 favorite Disney artists. Its off to find the viewmaster for me.:)

Can we please have that back as well as the Mary Blair murals in Tomorrowland?

zapppop
04-23-2002, 08:51 AM
If it doesn't re-open by September, I'll start to worry.

SuperStar Limo is now on rehab all the way through August 31, 2003 !
Gee, I wonder if it'll ever be back. :rolleyes:

mad4mky
04-23-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by zapppop

SuperStar Limo is now on rehab all the way through August 31, 2003 !
Gee, I wonder if it'll ever be back. :rolleyes:

Goodness, let's hope not!:( :rolleyes:

AliKzam
04-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I want the original back! For a sample of what you are missing (in 3-D), see the View-Master Fantasyland reel packets from the 60's, which features a great shot of the diorama of Aurora sleeping.

I remember that... wait. No, I remember the "Sleeping Beauty" Viewmaster they sold in the 80's. I never had that one, but I really wanted it. I loved my Viewmaster. I wanted the one that talked.
I wish they would bring back the castle tour. I loved walking through it, but now whenever I imagine it, I get this really creepy feeling. Weird, huh? I get the same feeling when I think about the Splash Mtn. animals being the America Sings animals. I just get this creepy feeling thinking that for a (small) time they were sitting in a warehouse, collecting dust. Kinda like they came back from the dead.

merlinjones
04-25-2002, 01:30 AM
>>I had no idea there was an original version of the diorama - designed by Eyvind Earl no less! He's one of my top 5 favorite Disney artists. Its off to find the viewmaster for me. <<

In case you haven't found this nice little surprise... many of the remaining WED Eyvind Earle inspirational designs for the SB Diorama windows (about a dozen of them) are reproduced and hanging in the hallway alongside the banquet rooms on the second floor of the Disneyland Hotel Pavillion building.

Not Afraid
04-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
>>I had no idea there was an original version of the diorama - designed by Eyvind Earl no less! He's one of my top 5 favorite Disney artists. Its off to find the viewmaster for me. <<

In case you haven't found this nice little surprise... many of the remaining WED Eyvind Earle inspirational designs for the SB Diorama windows (about a dozen of them) are reproduced and hanging in the hallway alongside the banquet rooms on the second floor of the Disneyland Hotel Pavillion building.

Ooooooooh! I haven't seen these. I think its time for a little exploratory trip to the DLH. Thanks for the tip!

Niwel
04-25-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
Has the castle been closed since September 11, 2001? I believe it is scheduled to be reopened in time for summer. Anybody have more information?

Actually, it closed in October during MouseAdventure.
I think my group must have been one of the last to go through the castle.

It was the day the U.S. military started attacking Afghanistan (I got a call about it from my mom after Mouseadventure ended)

I hope that while its closed they are cleaning it up and will open it again, soon....its one of the best things in the park.

blusilva
04-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say.....but Niwel beat me to it. :)

I am SO glad I decided to go through the Castle the night that Haunted Mansion Holiday opened to the public. October 5, I think it was? That was a day or two before they closed it.

It was one of my favorite attractions, but none of my Disneyland friends like it. I was all by myself that Friday night and did all the things that *I* like to do. And that was one of them. Little did I know it could very well have been the last time ever.

I do hope they reopen it, but all the tell-tale signs are there indicating a Submarines kind of existance for the walk-through.

AliKzam
04-26-2002, 05:40 PM
Sleeping Beauty Castle is THE most identifiable icon to Disneyland. It was truly wonderful that the castle itself was an attraction. I hope it comes back.