PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report May 6-9th

littlebugg
05-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Hello all!
Just got back last night from a fun 4 day trip to So Cal from the SFbay area, this would be my(26yo) approx. 20th trip to Disneyland, DH (26yo) and DS(7)'s 2nd trip. Our first trip in Sept. 04 was a not as fun as it could have been for me because so many attractions were closed for refurb during that time including the castle. So this time I was excited to get to show the boys HM, Space, the Matterhorn and all the info I had gained from these boards. : )

Saturday, May 6th,2006

Left around 7:00am from El Sobrante, Calif. Checkin was at 3:00 at the Camelot Inn (formerly Park Inn). Searched on Trip Advisor for several days before settling on this one back in March. It fit our needs; we wanted two adjoining rooms so DS could have his own space and tv, the suites offered here had the second room with no exterior hall access, and priced under the Hilton where we usually stay at 159 a night for two rooms we decided to give it a try.

My son was excited to pass "the windmills" in the Livermore/Alta Mont Pass (I think) area. I remember being a kid and knowing that was the sure sign that we really were going to DL!

Stopped a few miles past Magic Mtn. for bathroom and gas, and it was barely noon, so I decided to program a small side trip into the navi to the La Brea Tarpit. I hadn't been there since I was a kid, and thought DS might like it. We made a quick lap around the pit and took some pics. DS did enjoy the wooly mammoths and sabre cat statues. (Perfect timing since we saw Ice Age 2 a few months ago). Didn't check out the museum, the gender scale in my family tends to tip against my interests. lol Parking was a ripoff though. $3.50 for 23 mins!

Pulled into the motel at 2:55, checkin was a breeze. Nice rooms. Our bed was a king, we were told it would be a queen, so that was a nice surprise. Table with chairs, microwave, fridge, new furniture, pullout sofa bed. DS's room had a remodled bathroom with seperate dressing area and two queen beds. The beds were firm, but new and actually helped my back some I think. Cable was limited but we had HBO and Disney channels. Two gift shops downstairs and arcade. We had reserved seating at Goofys for 5:40pm that night so we rested a bit and then drove over to DL Hotel.

Goofys food was actually pretty bad. I hate to give bad reviews, but it was really expensive. I was expecting a Hometown Buffet style, you know, not very good but edible. Goofys to me had a limited selection and no real salad bar at all which is usually all I eat. Just some soggy cesear salad.
Characters also really ignored us, I even tried to mention it to our server. Maybe because my son is a little older that most kids there, and the HUGE party of 3 year olds next to us running amuck(sp?). So DS was bummed out he waited for Peter Pan SO patiently, (very hard for him since he is mildly autistic and gets antsy) but Peter didn't turn to our table. My guess is service can be hit and miss there depending on how much is going on. I think the person that plays Pluto (shame on me, I know, Pluto is real) noticed DS because he hung out with us 3 times. He was the only character to stop at our table. After dinner we drove back to the motel, and walked next door to McDonalds later for some real food. LOL

Decided to go down to the pool for a while after dark, DS had been whining about it since we got there. Pool was perfect, not over his head and I only wanted to use the hot tub so no big deal on the small pool. Hot tub was nice. Pool area in general was nice looking at the Matterhorn.
Promised ourselves we would wait to watch Remember... at the park on Sunday night, but curiosity got the better of us and we watched it from our balcony. In retrospect I'm not sorry we did because it was nice to see two different views. Went to bed shortly after so we could get up early and head to the parks!

Sunday May 7th, 2006

We got up at 6:15 so we could get there for opening at 8. I take long to get ready, I'm a girl, what can I say? We walked to the crosswalk in less than 3 mins. another 5 mins to the turnstiles. Overall I have to say I will never go through with the park/tram or art method again. For me, if I'm not on property, I will stay on Harbor because walking back and forth when needed made a world of difference.
DH and DS enjoyed the band coming out to the turnstile plaza and the countdown, it made the whole experience more magical for both of them. We headed back (with nearly everyone else) to Space Mountain but we only went for Fast Passes, then straight to Fantasyland. 4 people ahead of us for Peter Pan, about the same on Mr. Toad, then the only ones on Snow White and Pinocchio. DS and DH wanted to head over to Rivers area so off we went through Adventure to stop for FP for Indy. DS fave ride you'll soon see. Walked on Indy standby right after.
Park seemed pretty empty still at 9 so we knocked out HM and Pooh to kill time for next FP time. DH and DS liked HM and I LOVED the new FX, I had to call my mom soon after to tell her about it.

Headed over to Matterhorn, longest line yet at about 15 minute wait. Rode FL side. DH is a big baby, thought it was too fast. I called him a little girl and DS and I laughed at him. Since we still had some time left before we could collect more FP's and the return time for Space had long passed (8:45 am). I made the call to go straight to Space Mountain. This had nothing to do with DH being scared of Matterhorn. : p
While in the queue, DH asked me how fast it went and I guessed 20 mph tops. I didn't want him to chicken out. Great time on Space. Glad they got rid of the big red ball illuminating the track.

We had reservations for Minnie and Friends but we weren't hungry yet, and Goofys had left me feeling uneasy about spending a lot of $$ there, so we stopped at BLAB and got FP's and then walked on. Still no lines at all. We all loved this attraction, DH was telling me all about how this is Buzz's real life and not Toy Story, but it was great to have him teaching me something. He felt special.

BLAB FP time was flying by so we decided to kill the 20 mins. before we could collect more FP's by checking out HISTA. That was also great. DS was screaming and laughing.
I ran up to collect FP's for Space again while DS and DH spun the big marble ball. It was still cloudy, but starting to get warmer. I was glad it wasn't sunburn hot because I become a lobster in less than 30 mins.

By this time it was only a little after 11, we had FP for everything we wanted besided BTMR, so we decided to take a break.
Walking back we saw a sea of people ariving and DH commented on how smart we were to get up early and ride 10 attractions plus HISTA in 3 hours and I was just thinking..."WE?" MPers and Moms get no credit. :)

Part 2 coming soon...

Crazy4DL
05-11-2006, 11:44 AM
[quote=littlebuggWalking back we saw a sea of people ariving and DH commented on how smart we were to get up early and ride 10 attractions plus HISTA in 3 hours and I was just thinking..."WE?" MPers and Moms get no credit. :)

Part 2 coming soon...[/quote]

LOL!!! too funny! ;)

. . . enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing. :)

littlebugg
05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks! I meant to post yesterday, so we actually got home on Tuesday the 9th, not last night. Just to clear that up...on to

Part 2
Sunday, May 6th

When we got to the room I decided to change into jeans and my tennis shoes, I had been a little chilly at the park that morning.
After that we headed next door to Millies for lunch. Well, we hadn't eaten breakfast yet so we all got breakfast. I had a waffle it was hot and crispy. Very good. DS liked his pancakes, DH said his traditional eggs and bacon was ok, but biscuits weren't all that.

Back to the room to make sure we had everything and put leftovers in fridge. Back to the park just after noon. Still light lines but we had all these FP's to use. DS wanted to go on Indy again so we got a locker because my purse was too heavy. Dropped off our sweathirts, and various other things that weren't needed, sunblock, cell phone, batteries for camera...left feeling much lighter.
So over to Indy, got FP's anyways in case the park got busier. Used our earlier FP's to save one or two minutes...lol. DS got to "drive", and the guy behind us was telling him, turn left, turn right, turn on your lights, oh no turn them off! It was really cool. He had a blast.
Next we went to the Tarzan house. DH sat down by River Belle while DS and I went through. I had made DS sit through Swiss Family Robinson with me a few months back and was trying to expain to him how this used to be their house. He wasn't very interested in that. Just in playing with all the stuff down in the bottom.

Since we had rode so many things already, we strolled through NOS back to the train station, listening to all the sounds and music.

Made our way over to Splash, DH's fav. And the closest to pirates we could get, so we Fast Passed on. There was no wait really either way. I was wishin' I had left my shorts on but didn't get too wet. Bought the picture, so did the 3 guys we rode with. Kinda funny we have each other on our walls. : ) Then we strolled over to Pioneer to drop off the pic so we didn't have to walk back to the locker. On the way there was a little show in front of the golden horseshoe that we took in for a few minutes.

Next we went on BTMR and had about a ten minute wait, asked for the back row, and as we waited to board we could def. see more people were coming in now. Walked along the back trail and around to Toon Town. Got FP's for RR and took some pics. DS wanted to go ride Indy again! By now I had had enough, but whatever.

Time had come for our RR FP's so we caught the train to toon town from NOS to try it out. The boys didn't like it too much. DL was getting a little crowded and they wanted to go to DCA so we headed out, stopping by the corn dog cart on Main St. We all shared one as we weren't that hungry. Then passing the locker on to DCA. (Later on I was mad that I forgot to stop and reapply sunblock)

We went thru the gates and over to Soarin for FP's . Ran into some really rude teen girls, one who was about 9 months pregnant, who cut me to get to the next open FP machine, then stood there yelling across to the shops for her friend to bring her their tickets. I chalked it up as poor pregnant girl, whatever, not a big deal. Got our FP's and then went up to GRR for FP's. Then walked along the backside to take some pics and then on to Monsters Inc. This was the longest wait of our trip of about 30 mins. Cute attraction, but we all agreed once was enough. Got some great pics out front though.

Next we walked back towards GRR, caught the Block Party on the way over. Also very cute. On to GRR, DH likes that one a lot. Once again, wishin I had kept on my shorts. I could've easily ran back to the room to change but I wasn't too wet. Still had a little time until our 6:35 FP time for Soarin so we stopped off at Bugs Land. Rode the bumper cars forgot what they're called and then Fliks Flight I think, the little balloon ride. DS didn't want to ride anything else in this part so we headed over to Soarin a little early. We stopped to buy a toy plane. It was small enough to fit in my purse, since I'm not too keen on buying things during the day and carrying them around. Over at Soarin I went up to the CM at 6:30 and asked if we could please slide on the five minutes and he let us on. So did the other CM who took our FP's down the ramp, and then we got in line right behind that pregnant girl and her group. Lol

After we got off we decided to go back to get a spot for Remember... and use up our FP's for tomorrowland. As we came in POD was just starting from Main St. So we watched some of it on our way to the lockers to get our sweatshirts. Then on to the hub, all the benches were taken, mostly by husbands holding their places, so we dropped off DH in front of the castle in one of the few good spots left. Then me and DS went to Space and used our FP's but it was 8:15 when we were in line so we gave away our 3 BLAB FP's to the family behind us. When we got off at 8:40 we hurried back to the castle, I was worried that it would be too crowded to get back. Man, it was bad too, double the people had squeezed in all around DH on the ground.
DS and I saved the spot while DH went to get popcorn and sodas. It was a little cloudy so I was nervous but sure enought the fireworks started on time and they we're lovely.

We had balcony seating for 10:30 F! So as soon as the Foreworks ended we hurried through the frontierland/adventureland path by Pioneer and made it to The Disney Gallery before 10. We had to wait about 5 minutes while we watched the CM's cleaning up the balcony. Then we got let in the Gallery by the order we were standing there. Then once inside they called us in by party name. We were called third, even though I was told we purchased first, but I was very pleased with our seats. We were seated all the way to the left (looking from the gallery) in the front at the angled railing. Show was great, dessert was yummy, although we weren't too hungry.
As a side note though, there were way too many people up there IMO, I saw them take the tables inside and none of us had tables. And as we were waiting, 4 girls came up with a white plastic passes around their neck, some sort of VIP pass, with a schedule printed up for them on a piece of white paper "with reserved balcony seating for F! 10:30" but they weren't even really interested in what it was. I talked to them for a few minutes and found out one of the girls brothers works for Disney (supposedley). So possibly that's why we were over crowded up there. It was kind of annoying because they said they got in for free, sat on the gallery floor playing paty-cake, and then kept talking about their finals and were taking the whole experience for granted.
We had a great experience and my son had a perfect view from the far corner seat. When F! Was over we made our way back to Pioneer to pick up the splash photo, they were closed but they let me in and I chatted with the girl who worked there for a few. Then to the locker to load up and one short walk back to the motel.

Once we got there, I realized we hadn't eaten anything significant in hours and promised myself we would take more time to eat dinner on Monday. So off to bed after nearly 17 hours awake, most of them at the park, so we could get up early for our last day in DL.

Part 3 coming soon....

anniedg
05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Sounds like so much fun -- good view for Remember and then balcony seating for F! :D
Thanks for posting!

lobotomomma
05-12-2006, 08:24 AM
I love, love, LOVE detailed trip reports!!! It's like I'm hanging in DL right with ya!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! Can't wait for Part 3!!!

littlebugg
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Part 3
Monday May 8th

Got the dates right now...sorry about that.

We started fairly early Monday morning. Got to the park at about 9:15, the park opened at 9 that day. We went straight to Alice in Wonderland. Still one of my favorites.

After that we were all hungry so we went to Plaza Inn to try Minnie and Friends. Wow were we glad we did. Price wasn't too bad, for what you're getting in the middle of the park. We got a choice of tables which was very thoughtful. The food was delish...and so many characters came to our table. First Fairy Godmother, then Tigger, Chip, Eeyore, Captain Hook, and Minnie! Each one would stop and give us a few minutes and cute poses for pictures. Eeyore was acting so sad it was adorable, biting his paw. lol Lots of food choices and all hot and fresh.

Next we went to Tom Sawyers Island. DS's fave after Indy. I think they refurbed some of the island, but I can't remember if it was different before. Anyhow, we were full from breakfast and my feet were hurting already so we decided to go back to the motel after we left the island.

We hopped on the train in NOS and got off in TL. Picked up FP's for Buzz because the park seemed busier than the day before and DS wanted to ride again. (Anything but Indy)

After a short one hour rest, we walked back over DL. First thing we did was walk to Indy to get a FP, then took the train to TT, we were going to ride Gadgets but DS didn't want to. Took a bunch of pics all around TT.

Walked down to IASW, DH sat it out, we rode through and saw the cutest ducks who weren't afraid of people at all near the exit. You could have touched them if you wanted they were so close.

Over to Autopia, waited for a bit not to bad at all. Then used our FP's for BLAB. DS bought a laser gun from the Buzz gift shop and a bunch of other stuff. I can still hear those laserguns in my sleep, I think I saw EVERY kid with one.

Then we used our FP's for indy...DH dosent believe me that there are 3 diff. rooms, well not really, but the effect that there is...because we had gotten the blue room everytime.
Exited on the right side and jumped the railing at the top of the stairs...shame on us!!!! I was totally against it but there was no one in line at all maybe 4 or 5 people waiting at the loading area. DH lifted DS over and they both were running down the stairs before my slow you know what caught up protesting the whole time. Got the blue room again so we asked another rider after the ride and she confirmed I was right. Ha.

Decided we didn't need another FP for Indy as there was no line. Went to ride Splash, DS wanted a churro on the way. He calls it a churruro, can't say churro, can say churruro? Weird kid. Rode splash, no line at all. Walked on HM. Headed over to DCA for TOT and DS wanted to go ride "the orange" as he calls it but its the swings inside the orange. DS fav ride in DCA.

No lines anywhere, and the fog was starting to burn off but it couldn't have been barely 78 degrees. Nice weather. Ran into Hercules, The Incredibles, and Goofy in surf attire, all in the backlot area. We rode TOT, then the orange, the rockets next to the orange,(I'm so sorry I forgot the names) then Screamin. Of course DH sat out all of these except TOT he likes that one. We ate lunch after TOT and before the others. We got chili cheese dogs. They were tasty.

After Screamin we went back to DL for shopping, and the night time rides I had planned for our last night. Walking through the tunnel we saw Mickey in his 50th suit coming from behind Mad Hatters. We got a picture it was so cool because DS had just said about 20 mins before that he hadn't seen Mickey up close yet this trip. Disney Magic is a curious thing!

Donald was going on break and when my son called him he shook his bum at him and ran behind the door, then stuck his tail out one last time for a shake. Cute way to divert attention away from the kids. He still got a Donald "Experience".

Stopped in for a silouette on Main St., poor girl, DS is such a wiggle worm. :) Next over to Splash for DH's sake, we got soaked!! The only time too!! Then on to a final.....I'll give you one guess.....Indy.

It was dark now so we rode on the Jungle Cruise, loved the pirrannas, then over to Teacups, Storybook Cruise (DS always gets to sit on the front ledge), then our final ride, a nightime ride on Matterhorn TL side where you can see TL all lit up. Can't wait to see the subs again glowing out in the lagoon. :) We found all the crowds...in Fantasyland, all those rides had long lines. Matterhorn we waited for a while; maybe 30 mins. DH went back to the motel after Jungle, so DS and I were glad we could shop with him not around. Picked up the silouette, spent a good amount of time in Emporium, then took some last photos in front of Main St. Station. Walked home and sent DH to Mc Donalds for a late snack, went to bed with dreams of upgraded......

Tuesday May 9th

Checkout was 11, long drive ahead but DH made me stop at shoecity...he bought nothing I got new flip flops. I went to Kitson in Beverly Hills for some shopping for myself, saw Kevin Federline in his ferrari. Doesn't count as a celebrity sighting, actually IMO, it would be the exact opposite.
:)

But to end on a more appropriate note, I have to say this was one of my most enjoyable experiences at DL and I have the itch now (if there is such a thing?) I can't wait to go back.
Huge thanks to all of you for the tips and help in making this trip so special for us!!

lobotomomma
05-12-2006, 09:40 AM
You didn't disappoint with Part 3 of your trip report, Littlebugg! :p Thanks again for sharing with us. I had to laugh about your Kevin Federline comment...too funny :D I am like you and once you've been you're already thinking about going back!!!

raych30
05-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I love reading humorous trip reports, thanks!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. :)

Crazy4DL
05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I agree! I love these trip reports! Makes you feel like you get little DL trips too. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

codelyokorox
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I loved your report, but now I want to go to Disneyland.

I can't WAIT! ^.^ Thanks for sharing your experience, glad you had a good time.

littlebugg
05-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you all! We had a great time!

A few things I forgot to mention....we saw PUSH in TL right next to the garbage can performers. PUSH was going up to club buzz, a lot of people were following it.
We also watched Merlin by the carousel, sat at NOS station and listened to some neat sound effects from the back of NOS by the voo doo balcony, and the best thing that I forgot in my report was that one morning when we were there, two Davy Crockett CMs stood out by their queue and both sang the whole Davy Crockett Song. It was written on a little paper they were holding. They were both embarrassed with red faces, but it seemed like a bet or joke between the two of them. TOO CUTE!

yellowrosedtxn
05-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Thank you so much for writing your trip report! I really enjoyed reading it! I can't wait for my own trip coming up SOOO SOON!!!!

I hope I can remember the details like you do!

Again, Thanks for writing it!

Shelley