PDA

View Full Version : Nice surprises for a guy...

twist1980
05-08-2006, 11:14 PM
So in a little over two months my boyfriend, his son and I are headed to DL. I have been more times than I can count, it is my honey's 2nd trip (I took him in December), and we are surprising his son with his first trip! DS will be six, but I would like to surprise both of them with something!

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do for boys? I am so clueless! I did PSR's for Carnation Cafe, Ariel's Grotto (my B-day, so my choice), Wine Country Trattoria, Lilo & Stitch Breakfast and then I'm surprising them with PSR's for Yamabuki (we love sushi, they have no idea the place exists :) ).

But again, I would like to do something more, any recommendations?

mommy-san
05-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Only a few thing that I could suggest: do early entry and go straight for Astro Blasters... Our daughter was able to ride about 8 times in a row on E.E. and we e-mailed ourselves the picture everytime so we now have quite a collection of them. That seemed to be the thrill of her trip. (she's 5 1/2) And the talk to Stitch in Innoventions is a must-do. We LOAO at his answers to my daughters questions. Did you know stitch's favorite food just may be Earwax? Talk with Stitch has short hours so check -I think 12:00-5:00- we got there early at 11:45 and waited about 20 minutes but the wait behind us was soon over an hour. If the kid in your group has some more obscure questions (not the normal birthday, food or T.V. show questions) Stitch is hilarious. And you get the code to download a picture they take of you from your computer at home. Have fun and I hope this helps.

Michael_Lee
05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Try to get balcony seating for Fantasmic.

05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Oooo, a first trip with a 6 year-old!

Everything is going to be a terrific surprise. I'd for sure get to the park early, as mommy-san says. I'd eat lunch on the early side to avoid crowds, go back to the hotel for a couple of hours in the afternoon to swim, come back for an early dinner and stay through the fireworks.

I don't know if spending money is an issue. I can tell you that when our kids were the age of your bf's son, we let them pick three reasonable souvenirs. After the three were purchased, they were done. Period. End of discussion. At that age, they know what reasonable means and they know what three means. Daughter #1 picked a little blown-glass pendant at the Disneyland Hotel, and from Main Street a Belle Barbie and the least expensive kid's Mickey Mouse watch. Daughter #2 picked a baby elephant plush from the Adventureland Bazaar, a parasol with her name on it from New Orleans Square, and something I can't remember. Anyway, neither of them spent over $60 a piece and they had a terrific time picking those three souvenirs.

Have a terrific trip!

vicbella2
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't know if you're staying onsite, if you are, you can arrange gift baskets from vacation planning. They range from $30 -$150. We've done this on our last 2 trips. Our kids (5&8) got a kick out of coming back to our hotel rooms with treats from Mickey & friends. If you're not staying onsite, I've heard other people ordering thing off ebay and having it delivered to your hotel. There's a cookie company that also make character cookie bouquets as well. You've got some good ps booked already. We did Lilo & Stich and thought that Stitch was the best. You'll definitely have fun.
Have you thought about the discover the magic tour. We did this last month and it was the highlight of our trip. We interacted with many characters including Peter Pan , Wendy, Snow White, Mary Poppins and the Penguin, Jessie & Woody, and Mickey Mouse. During the tour we also got to dress up like pirates and "arggg" strangers. We hopped across bridges, raised a pirate flag on Tom Sawyer's island, looked for buried treaure and even had lunch. We booked it for our last full day at disneyland and that the perfect way to end our great trip. Ds and dd wanted to know if we could book the tour again. Have a wonderful trip.

steveb
05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
So in a little over two months my boyfriend, his son and I are headed to DL. I have been more times than I can count, it is my honey's 2nd trip (I took him in December), and we are surprising his son with his first trip! DS will be six, but I would like to surprise both of them with something!

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do for boys? I am so clueless! I did PSR's for Carnation Cafe, Ariel's Grotto (my B-day, so my choice), Wine Country Trattoria, Lilo & Stitch Breakfast and then I'm surprising them with PSR's for Yamabuki (we love sushi, they have no idea the place exists :) ).

But again, I would like to do something more, any recommendations?
Ask a cast member if you can visit the wheel house on the Mark Twain. It's a great view, you get to "steer", ring the bell and blow the whistle. My son really thought it was pretty cool when he was that age. You also get a certificate that says your are official river boat pilots signed by Walt Disney. I'm not sure how they managed that one ;)

There's also the cab ride on the train. Ask as cast member at Main Street Station.
Steve

Bolivar
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM
For a six-year-old who has never been to Disneyland before, just being there will be enough of a treat that I'm not sure how much more you really need to do. The biggest gift would be to just be really attentive to him -- make the day about him and what he would like to see and do.

MermaidHair
05-12-2006, 02:06 PM
So I don't know if guys are as into the characters as girls but my DD was 5 when we went and she loves her autograph book/photo album that we bought and had the characters sign. It gave her something to say to them, and introduction, as it were. And it is a great ready-made scrapbook of our trip. You might want to buy one of these books in advance so you have it as soon as you hit the parks. The gold 50th one is quite nice, IMO.

darph nader
05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
For a six-year-old who has never been to Disneyland before, just being there will be enough of a treat that I'm not sure how much more you really need to do. The biggest gift would be to just be really attentive to him -- make the day about him and what he would like to see and do.

If your finances can handle it,get the "LET ME TAKE YOUR PICTURE"thing.imho.:cool:

momuvseven
05-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Get him an autograph book, in April I saw kids with books that had one side to put a picture in and the other to get the autograph. Would be cool once you get home and can insert all the pictures. I would also get him a disposable camera and let him take his own pictures.

ktrm
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Tomorrowland, Tomorrowland, Tomorrowland. My son is six and he just loved Tomorrowland. I personally don't care for it at all, but he loves it. He saw Push the Garbage can and was mesmerized. I don't like Innoventions in Tomorrowland but again my six year old boy loved it. Don't forget to see ASIMO(the robot) as well as Stitch in Innoventions. My son is still talking about it three months later and renting books from the library on ASIMO. He wants to take a robot building class this summer. In one of the gift shops in Tomorrowland, you can get a picture of your boyfriend's son as Luke Skywalker. This is on my list of souveniors for my trip in July.