PDA

View Full Version : hotel opinion needed

snoopyfan
05-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Okay, okay, I know this has been asked a bazillion times, but I want to know what you all think. We've been to DL many times, but this time want to stay on property. There's me, my husband, DS that's 15 and DD that's 10. So, our kids are not young, but we'd like a Disney atmosphere and its been a while since we've had to share 2 beds, which we can do if we have to, but would rather not. I have an AP and we'd like to go the very end of May into June. There are still package deals available through get away today or should I call and try to book using my discount? Money is usually an issue, but this is the one time we'll overlook the price and go for the best. Thanks in advance!

kimmybear
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
i don't know about any discounts, etc. but i know that the paradise pier is the cheapest of the three and some rooms offer two queens and a day bed- no sharing for your kids. hope this helps!:D

kisroo
05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
If money isn't an issue, maybe a 1 or 2 bedroom suite in the DLH??

Have a great trip!!

~kisroo:)

Wendi
05-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Disney's Grand Californian has bunk beds with a trundle, so you will end up with 4 separate beds (room for 5 people). Plus it's the cream of the crop when it comes to Disney property, can't beat the location and the beauty.

Susan L
05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
We have stayed at all three hotels. We usually have two adults and three teemagers. We were not impressed with the DLH. The room was not big enough.

On our last trip it was myself, DD and her girlfriend. We stayed at the CGH and had an artisian suite thanks to my uncle. It was very beautiful but very expensive. I would not be able to afford it again.

Our favorite is the PPH. Its perfect for families with older kids I think. Its affordable. The rooms are spacious. Rooms with a theme park view are spectacular, especially at night. With a view room you can watch the ELP from your room, a very nice perk. The pool is cool. Housekeeping is great. Like I said its our favorite and it is also where we will be staying on our next visit.

disneyhound
05-07-2006, 08:09 AM
We have stayed at all three hotels. We usually have two adults and three teemagers. We were not impressed with the DLH. The room was not big enough...

teemagers? Were they junior teamsters, yuck yuck yuck...

Was your low opinion of DLH related to room size alone, or was there some other issues?

Susan L
05-07-2006, 09:37 AM
teemagers? Were they junior teamsters, yuck yuck yuck...

Was your low opinion of DLH related to room size alone, or was there some other issues?

Hee Hee, ooops. No we just didn't have any luck there. I had requested a room in the Sierra Tower with a DTD view (I know request are not a given) I had booked this room 8 months in advance and told the front desk CM politely that I was disappointed in that and asked if we would be able to move, her response was no in a very unfriendly tone so, from the start it wasn't pleasant.

The room we did get had the sound of running water, sounded like a broken pipe. The room had a pool view which was nice but, very noisy because of all the screaming kids. DH went down to the front desk early the next morning to tell them about the running water he talk to a manager and he said he could moved us two days later to what we had requested.

The view was better but, the room was still to small for all of us. Housekeeping was really bad and really slow. One day it took 4 phone calls before we could get an extra pillow and even then they didn't get it to us until around 9pm. The kids barely used the pool, which is not normal reason, there were to many little kids. Everytime we got in an elevator there were little kids crying and screaming because they were so burnt out, not pleasant. It was just not a good stay for us.

Up to that point we had always stayed at the PPH. We kept thinking the whole time were staying at the DLH that we got more for our money at the PPH. The rooms are more spacious, its more relaxed atmosphere, the use of the pool, housekeeping is great there.

I will say this for the DLH, if you have little ones stay there. Also they have the best character meal, Goofy's Kitchen, the grounds of the place are beautiful, and the location to the Monorail Station is great. But, we can walk to all those places from the PPH so, we won't be staying at the DLH again.

When I got home I did write a very polite letter expressing our disappointment and the DLR made good on it by give us a complimentary upgrade to a suite to any of the DLR hotels for our next visit. Which we did on our last trip with the help of an inheritance from my uncle. I had to call a special number for guest relations to book the suite. I got it for a standard room price. It was awsome.

simbaNnala101
05-07-2006, 09:43 AM
If you are going for the disney atmosphere then I would definatly stay at the disneyland hotel. only because of the pool and activities because it has gone through refurb. But as far as room goes and beds hands down the CGH. We now will only stay at the CGH its just bigger and has way nice access to DCA and DTD.

~Ash~

leota's necklace
05-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I'd also recommend the Pier, because of the room size and the day bed (which is very comfy, I might add). DLH wins hands down for obvious themeing, but the Pier has nice touches, too. Light themeing, instead of in-your-face. :) GC is exquisite but would be a bit cramped, I think. PP is an excellent value, IMO.

boosmom96
05-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure I've heard that the bunkbeds at the GC are small. I don't think a 15 year old will be comfortable in them. We loved the CG, but the rooms are small. We really like the rooms in the Bonita Tower at DLH. They seem larger than the other 2 towers. I've never stayed at the PP, but I've heard good things about it from families with teens.

scaeagles
05-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I think it's even fine for families with children. We stay there every time. We stayed in the GC three straight times, and it was nice, but the PP is less than half the price of the GC. It's worth the extra 5-10 minute walk when we only go to the hotel at night and perhaps if the little ones are tired.

GC is nice, but PP is a far batter value.

Wendi
05-07-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure I've heard that the bunkbeds at the GC are small. I don't think a 15 year old will be comfortable in them. We loved the CG, but the rooms are small. We really like the rooms in the Bonita Tower at DLH. They seem larger than the other 2 towers. I've never stayed at the PP, but I've heard good things about it from families with teens.

The bunk beds and trundle are all standard twins. My mom slept on one and was very comfortable, but she's only 5'7" tall. I've slept on a twin many times and I'm 5'10.5" tall and haven't had problems, not sure I'd want to sleep on one every night though.

Bird&Belle
05-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I understand your dilema. My 17 year old son and 12 year old daughter would rather sleep of the floor then in the same bed. We stayed in the Sierra Tower of the DLH last year and had a room with 2 queen beds and a day bed. My daughter, who is 5'7", slept on the day bed and found it comfortable. The room size was acceptable and we especially liked the bathroom layout. The theming in our room was great and added that special touch. Have a great trip!

Rhiannon8404
05-07-2006, 02:51 PM
We've stayed at all three hotels. And while room size isn't a problem for our little family of three, we have found we prefer PP to DLH. It's quieter, the pool is less crowded and we really don't mind walking a bit further. If we could afford to alway stay at GCH, we probably would because the location is the best and I love the decor. But between PP and DLH, we prefer PP.

sierranevada
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
The bunk beds at GCH do have a weight limit. While it is not strictly enforced, it would be benefical to ask to see if the 15 yr old would be comfortable in it. If you don't get the bunk beds at GCH, it would be 2 queens. The rooms are a little smaller but more upscale. The balcony, however, is very nice size. Depending on the view, it is a great place to hang out.

The rooms at the PPH & DLH are the same size (except for the 2 queen, sofa combo at DLH which is 50 sq ft larger). While I personally love the DLH, not sure if it is a teenagers "cup of tea". The slide at the PPH pool is probably the best slide of the three hotels but the pool is just a pool. It does have a nice large deck area on the "roof" with a separate pool bar for snacks and drinks. This is the area at the PPH that you can watch the fireworks from.

I keep thinking that maybe the teenagers might enjoy the more grown up feel of the GCH. If you can do it, the suites at the GCH are very nice and provide lots of room!