PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Inside scoop?

Carina
05-05-2006, 08:46 AM
OK you guys all seem to eat breathe and live DL.... As you can see from my sig we leave in a week for a very spur of the moment trip. We have 3 kids 7,8,& 10 and we are driving from Vancouver Island to Aneheim

We are taking the 3 kids out of school to go and are picking up ( from BCAA aka AAA to most of you) a 5 day flex pass. And for the same reasons that we are taking the kids out of school we are going monday to Friday to the park. It means that we have to choose between the ELP & the Fireworks but we have decided to do the ELP then see the second fantasmic showing.

I was tickled to bits when I read about the free cookie making as I really hope 5 days mid week during school will mean that there is time for fun 'extras' like that. But what other neat little things do you recommend?

Is there little lesser know things to look for ( other than hidden mickeys which would not be my kids cuppa tea) while on specific rides or lesser known things to do ( like the cookie making)?

I did not know that Mickey Climbed that matterhorn at noon so that is something we will watch for at least once.

ALSO is it best to stay in DL for all of monday CA for all of Tues then go from there as to what we still want to do on W, T & Friday?

Which day would be best for our early admission & can that be used on CA too or just DL?

What rides are best to hit early AM? My Husband is big into the coasters and thrill rides I am more intrested in Splash MT, Soarin, grizzly, & Haunted M, Buzz Also looks cool as does roger rabbit.
Is the matterhorn scary?

What else can you tell me
Ridemax is out - my hubby would not have fun with us haveing to follow a strict schedule - nor would my kids ( or me for that matter)

hg0079
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I would google "fun facts about disneyland" and you will find tons of tidbits about things around the park.

bradk
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
lots of questions...

well, for starters, you might want to check out hiddenmickeys.org, lots of information on there in addition to actual documented hidden mickeys.

there's also a book called 'disneyland detective' which as i recall has mixed reviews, but probably mostly for its bad grammar (and some inaccuracies, but those are somewhat inevitable anyway). haven't read it myself though.

you might also want to check out Kevin Yee's 101 things you never knew about disneyland (or something to that effect).

moving on..

early entry.. is monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or saturday and does either require a ticket that has early entry (or words to that effect) printed on the back or that you are staying at one of the disney hotels.

to be honest, i don't think the actual day matters all that much other than saturday will eventually be the busiest of the days (but not during EE). also, you'll probably be able to get a little more sleep going on the weekdays.

you're limited to fantasyland during early entry with exception to IASW, SBLC and Casey Jr (I think that's it). you'll also find TL open with BLAB and Space running eventually.

the busiest rides.. well, at DL, you'll find Fantasyland and Toontown to be the most busiest. Peter Pan is the quickest to build up a large queue as is Dumbo. Matterhorn is up there as well. So is Mickey's home in Toontown as well as Gadget's Go Coaster. on a hot day, Splash will get busy too. but proper use of FASTPASS will assist you in all that (just worry about those attractions that don't have FP).

it should be noted that Toontown does open an hour after official park opening. (or typically 2 hours after EE begins).

on the DCA side, Monsters Inc (which doesn't have FP) is drawing the biggest lines. SOC is also very popular, as is Screamin. but based on recent attendance reports, as long as you go during the week, most of it won't be an issue.

Mickey climbing the Matterhorn is new for the 50th. You can check with City Hall for times. There's also a Rededication Ceremony that takes place daily at the train station.

As far as additional perks to take advantage of, you can ask to copilot the Mark Twain, I believe you can also ride with the engineer (or something to that effect) on some of the trains, but you do have to go the entire loop.

anything else out there, i'd personally love to know about.

hope that helps somewhat.

stan4d_steph
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Have you checked out the threads in this forum? You might just spend some time going back over the past year and scanning the topics to find subjects that interest you. There have been several threads on unusual or different things to try out at DL.

Have a great trip.

DangerMouse
05-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Don't forget to spend some time in the Animation Studio in DCA. It is sometimes overlooked by those who don't know about it. It is a wonderful place to take a break and cool off if it is hot outside. There is Turtle Talk with Crush, Sorcerer's Lair,and the Beast's Library and other fun things to see and do inside.

Have a great trip!

bradk
05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
oh, i should note. something that seems to be happening more frequently (or at least i hear of it with more frequency). sometimes, particularly if it's not crowded, the kids might be able to convince one of the characters to go on an attraction with them. never hurts to ask anyway.

SeansMom
05-05-2006, 11:22 AM
You might possibly be able to leave DCA and catch the fireworks, then go to fantasmic. Of course, this is the end of your trip, so if you may want to take a long afternoon break and get everybody rested up.

Have you made reservations for meals? I'd do that, too, if you haven't already.

bradk
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
DEP starts at Paradise Pier 40 minutes before the fireworks, so in order to take a chance, you need to watch it near the beginning, 'run' out through DCA after it ends, go back in through DL and try to find a spot for Remember... even solo, i wouldn't bother, let alone with kids in tow.

jakoky
05-05-2006, 01:22 PM
:cool:

hi there, i just had to say hi to you...i just read your post....we also live on vancouver island, we also leave for DL in 7 days, and we also have 3 kids we are pulling out of school...mine are ages 15(well she will be on the 10th), 12, and 10
Just thought it was kinda neat we are both from the island and going to be there at the same time....how long will it take u to drive down(that is the waywe used to go when i was little, my husband doesnt have the patience to drive some of the crazy busy freeways)....we fly out on the 13th and are there until the 23rd staying at the candy cane inn...hope u have a fun trip....
sharon

DLFan
05-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Wow, another one from Vancouver Island here! We are driving to Seattle next Friday and flying to Long Beach on Saturday. We will all be at DL at the same time. We also are pulling our boys (7 & 12) out of school for our trip.

Hope you both have a great trip!

jakoky
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
heh, DL fan, can i ask u what u got your flight for out of seatac...we flew out of seatac when we went to WDW in dec 04 and got our flight for 1800 for a family of 5...saved us at least 2500 dollars..flying out of vancouver to lax cost us 1755 for all of us again, which i didnt think was too bad so i was kinda of curious what u got it for...where on the island are you, we are in port alberni!!!
sharon:)

DLFan
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi Sharon,

I found a really good deal in February. It cost us just over $900 Canadian for the four of us. I had been looking for a while for flights out of Victoria (where I live) or Vancouver, but could not find anything reasonable. Return from Victoria was over $500/person and Vancouver was over $400/person. We still have to take the ferry and stay overnight in Seattle, but it is still much cheaper this way!

I think it would be much cheaper to fly out of Seattle for WDW as well. There are so many more airline options than just Air Canada and Westjet.

cfitz/pirates
05-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I would definetley check out the fireworks they were spectacular, my Daughter just loved them, as well as tower of terror and she's only four.

Have a Blast:D

Carina
05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I am in Qualicum Beach

we will be in DL from the 15 to the 19th

evrythngwmn
05-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Early Entry is Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat. Not Weds.

bradk
05-07-2006, 08:50 AM
oops, sorry. i knew that (really). i've still got the changes for TMM stuck in my head (i'm really upset they took them out of sync). thanks for the catch.

Leap for Joy
05-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't give up on finding Hidden Mickeys until your kids have tried it. I've yet to meet a kid who doesn't love finding them. There are also 50(?) golden 50s hidden around the park. They're easier to find than the Mickeys and still a lot of fun.

I like your idea of doing DL one day and DCA the next and then gauging your next three days from there. That should work very well.

I'll 2nd the vote for spending time in the animation studio. It's often overlooked and it's great!

Best rides to get fastpasses early are Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Splash Mountain in DL, Soarin' and Tower in DCA.

Best rides to ride early are Peter Pan in DL and Monsters in DCA.

In DCA, ride Grizzly River Run before your afternoon break so that you can follow it with a change of dry clothes back in your room.

I agree with doing ELP then Fantasmic! I enjoy the fireworks but love Fantasmic! more. Just make sure you take the train to New Orleans on your way to F! rather than trying to walk up Main Street. That'll mean you've got to really hurry to DL after the ELP but you probably already knew that.

Have a great trip!

FunMom
05-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the idea of watching the Electric Parade then catching the train to Fantasmic. How often does the train come by? At that time of night is the station packed with people with the seame idea - so much so that we may have to wait for a second train to come by?

tensixmom
05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Make sure you watch the fireworks on Main Street, the closer to the castle the better. Although you can view the fireworks from just about anywhere, Main Street is the best. Mickey climbing matterhorn is a cute show, my 5 year old loved it. I watched the rededication ceremony and it was cute, but short. But Mickey and Minnie and other characters are involved so the kids will like it. That takes place on the steps leading up to the train station on Main Street. Another thing that we caught one day, was flag retreat. Most people don't even know that it happens but it does. usually at 5:30 pm at the flag pole. The kids loved it one time, but after that they could really care.

Your best bet is to hit all the big rides, right away. We usually do Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, and then Splash Mountain, as these usually fill up quickly. The day you decide to do DCA, go to Disneyland first and grab a couple of the big rides, then leave and wait in line at DCA as it doesn't open until an hour after Disneyland.

Just be aware that you will probably not get to sit down and watch Fantasmic if you do the 2nd show and are coming over from the ELP. You may be standing for the whole show and then not even in a spot to see everything. The first showing for Fantasmic fills up at least 90 minutes prior to the show, and even 2 hours prior to that people are already sitting down. Once the people stand up and leave their spot it is usually already taken by someone standing behind them. It is not entirely impossible to find a place to sit, but don't get your hopes up, especially if your pressed for time.

iwannabeanimagineer
05-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Some other things we like to do at Disneyland when we have plenty of time:

-Watch the Sword in the Stone ceremony (check the daily entertainment guide for details). Merlin MC's this little ceremony in which a child gets to pull the big sword out of the stone and be crowned king.

-Save really good seats for a show or parade.

-Innoventions West

-Check out all the hidden entertainment on Main Street: Sounds coming from some of the 2nd floor windows, partyline conversations on the old-fashioned phones in the general store, the fire house, the piano player at Coca-Cola Corner, etc.

-People-Watching! We especially love to make up funny "voice-overs" for kids walking by (a la America's Funniest Home Video) or try to identify which celebrities people resemble. (This is actually the only kind of "gaming" I enjoy in Las Vegas, too.)

-Something we haven't tried yet: Listen to one of Paul Barry's "Where in the Park?" podcast games (http://pbarrie.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts) on an iPod or walkman and try to re-trace Paul's steps.

littlebugg
05-13-2006, 06:54 AM
How often does the train come by? At that time of night is the station packed with people with the same idea - so much so that we may have to wait for a second train to come by?

Last weekend when we were there we asked the CM how long for the next train, as the first was too full, and he said 6-7 minutes apart, but it seemed like only 5 or less. However, this was in the afternoon and not at night...maybe someone else knows if they run diff. at night.

Have A Great Time !!!

disneyland addict13
05-13-2006, 07:17 AM
-Something we haven't tried yet: Listen to one of Paul Barry's "Where in the Park?" podcast games (http://pbarrie.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts) on an iPod or walkman and try to re-trace Paul's steps.

Can anybody tell me more about this? I've never heard of it and it sounds like something my cousin and I would be interested in doing when we take a trip to the Disneyland Resort this summer. Thanks for any and all help.

iwannabeanimagineer
05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Can anybody tell me more about this?
Some of Paul's podcasts (not all) contain sounds recorded live at the Disneyland Resort. He starts the recorder in the main plaza between the parks and then walks for up to an hour recording the sounds. The game is to guess where he ends up and to identify 5 to 10 places he passed through or by along the way. For example, in one episode, he started at the main plaza, walked through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Hotel, boarded the Monorail, got off in Tomorrowland, walked through Fantasyland and ended up at the castle drawbridge.

It is actually a competitive event, if you enter in time. I just discovered his podcasts within the last couple of weeks, so I'm still catching up with old episodes.

His podcasts have reinforced an idea I had some time ago: to record fun park tours as MP3 files for people to listen to as they visit the park. They could emphasize Disney trivia for theme park fans or Disney movie fans or just point out cool Imagineered detail or whatever people like to hear about.