PDA

View Full Version : Disney Goes Intern-Shopping - Los Angeles Times, 5/5/06

Darkbeer
05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disneyjobs5may05,0,5897242.story?coll=la-home-headlines

QuikQuote: Disneyland has been forced to recruit more creatively and aggressively. This year, for the first time, the resort is offering internships that allow students to earn college credit for working, and taking courses, at the park, according to guidelines by an accrediting organization.
Interns can earn up to six credits for seven months of work and up to three credits by attending eight-week marketing and leadership classes taught by Disney.
In coming weeks, Disney recruiters will visit about 50 colleges and universities in Southern California. About 200 students will be accepted into the first intern class, which runs from May to December. About three dozen have been chosen already.

olegc
05-05-2006, 06:53 AM
i read this and from the story it sounded a lot like 'come work for us now - in whatever position we tell you - and we promise (wink wink) that it will lead to a higher position faster'

i also wonder now that it's an "internship" can they delay or not provide pay raises for extended employment because the pay for internships is usually college credit and experience. nice experience for someone looking for a career doling out corn dogs or sweeping the grounds...

If I were entering the program I would seriously examine the fine print on what happens down the road.

DianeM
05-05-2006, 08:09 AM
At some point DL is going to realize that their low wages are costing them more than they are benefitting. Why can't employers realize that their losses due to lack of retention, staffing problems, recruitment costs, and poor morale cost them real money? Businesses keep saying that they have to pay top executives big money (in the millions) because they can't get good people cheaply, but they can't figure out that paying minimum wage is not goint to attract the best workers at the bottom. There is something majorly wrong with that kind of attitude. Maybe DL can fill the parks with advertising and new rides, but every time they have to close a kiosk because they don't have staff, or ride lines are longer because they don't have enough people, then people aren't able to spend money, and that is costing them a lot more than the few dollars a day that higher wages would cost.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disneyjobs5may05,0,5897242.story?coll=la-home-headlines

QuikQuote: Disneyland has been forced to recruit more creatively and aggressively. .

Niwel
05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
They announced it this morning on KNX. I would hope it would lead to something for the CMs who go that route (especially if Disneyland is looking for a way to distinguish those who work there just to work there and those who work there because they love Disney). Time will tell...

Of course if you do decide to enter the program, we'd LOVE to hear about it at Cast Place!