PDA

View Full Version : More cost saving advice needed - Microwavable meals that can fill a big eater?

Carina
05-04-2006, 11:09 PM
We are staying at La Quinta inn & suites ( think it used to be hampton???)
I have heard great things about that hotel so I am glad

We plan on eating all dinners in the hotel to take save money - since there is a fridge and Microwave
Might buy some 'hot Whole chicken' from the grocery store some nights and order in pizza - other nights might just be mircrowaved TV dinners and some bagged salad!

Any other cheap "in hotel room, microwave only" dinnner suggestions???

Thankfully they have a HUGE continental breakfast - including eggs, toast, waffles, fruit, cereal, biscuts ( sounds odd for breakfast but hey foods food) muffins and pastries, Juices and Coffee YUM YUM
And my friend that stayed there last year said they got to breakfast late and there was still a lot of food available!

we will definatly grab an "apple & muffin for later " each day at breakfast too!

kimmybear
05-04-2006, 11:47 PM
easy mac. the packets are small, each resulting in rougly 1 cup/serving. but it's prepackaged, lightweight, and only water is needed. although these would not make a sufficient meal, they're perfect as mid-day snacks. :D

05-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Depending on how big an eater, you could always buy two frozen pot pies or whatever per person.

Gymgirl975
05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Totino's pizza rolls........mmmmm.
Or Hungry Man microwave meals.
And you can always do Ramen in the microwave.

Duchess mermaid
05-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hungry man meals are huge. And they are pretty good. my husband likes the backyard barbeque one best.

Carina
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Thats great to know about hungry man meals!

I was thinking of smuggeling in our toaster oven ( we could store it in a rubbermaid tote so the Chamber maid would no see it) so that we could make things like chicken strips

But then I wonder if its that big of a deal for only 6 nights. Of course if we camp somewhere on the way there and back we also could use it then as we are gone for 9 days total

05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Carina, I think you can save more money and enjoy life more if you split meals at the more inexpensive locations.

Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian Hotel has large portions, good selection, and no one will care if you split stuff.

Another huge favorite on MousePad is Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. The pizza has mixed reviews but the chicken fusilli is very good and easy to split.

DianeM
05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
If you're going to have a car, you can go to Knotts Berry Farm chicken takeout. It's at the Knott's park, in the shopping area. You can park in front of the takeout, so you don't have to pay for parking. They have very good chicken meals, and you can get a boysenberry pie thrown in. I plan on doing this whenever we visit DL, to save money, and because I love Knott's chicken and pie.

If you're planning on eating in your room, you might want to pack some plastic flatware and heavy weight disposable plates or plastic picnic plates. And a couple of big plastic cups - the ones in the room are alwasy tiny.

The last time I was at DL, we ate in our room about half the time. It does save money, but we didn't eat at restaurants a lot of the rest of the time. Some foods are part of the DL experience. We snacked on churros and dole whip and found that we didn't need to eat a lot of meals. I carry a water bottle in the park (a good sized one - not one of those tiny ones they sell in the park) and re-fill it at drinking fountains whenever I pass. You can get a fairly cheap and very hearty meal in the park at the take out place next to Blue Bayou. They have gumbo in a bread bowl that isn't too pricey, and will fill you up quite well.

There are grocery stores near the park, and we always travel the first night and pick up some good beer for my husband and mozerella sticks and snacks for both of us. You could also pick up sandwich fixings and make sandwiches in your room to take into the park. Don't forget the little baggies to carry them in. Whenever we went to DL when I was a kid, we always ate a lot of ham sandwiches. Come to think of it, that's where I learned to love ham an swiss. My mother carried them because they travel well and aren't as messy as Peanut butter and jelly.

Any other cheap "in hotel room, microwave only" dinnner suggestions???

!

donaldquackers
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I've been to Disney many times on a budget. Go to the grocery store and store up on some fun foods. We like yogurts, puddings, bread and lunch meats, sliced cheese, fresh fruit etc. We always allowed for treats in the park. White water snacks is a great place. I ordered the nachos last time and shared with no problem. It was a full meal. We always ate the free breakfast, took a small snack in our backpacks, along with a water. We would skip lunch, buy a treat of some sort, then buy dinner and share. When we got back to the hotel later, if we were hungry we'd eat what we had in the room. Mousesavers.com has some good ideas for saving money. Another thing we did, was eat cheap at home for the month or so before our trip and used the extra money for the trip.

rentayenta
05-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Carina, I think you can save more money and enjoy life more if you split meals at the more inexpensive locations.

I agree with this 100% especially if you have kids with you. It's really easy to share. Along with 3894's suggestions the hamburger place in Tomorrowland has HUGE hamburgers and everything comes with fries. You can also order an extra burger or sandwich ala carte and share the fries. There are creative ways to eat cheap and still enjoy your meals. :)

Pirate Princess
05-07-2006, 10:00 PM
At Costco... Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls (made by Rice Gourmet).... sooooo good.