PDA

View Full Version : What does this character mean?

Doug
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
On Walt's tie....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/popular/1/58726405

hg0079
05-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Smoke Tree Ranch, a favorite vacation destination

hg0079
05-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Got to love Google!

More information from a STR employee

I work at Smoke Tree Ranch, and all the above facts are true. STR is a very private resort, membership by recommendation of a commitee only. When Disney asked to become a homeowner on STR, the current owners were wary of such a 'Hollywood Type' invading their exclusive hideaway. So to prove his love of the ranch, Disney had his designers design and build three cottages on the ranch, and they finally let him join. Those cottages are still there today. Also on the ranch still is a good gentleman friend of Disney's, who was the inspiration for the character of 'Jaques' the mouse in Cinderella. There are plenty of homeowners still living there that were friends of Disneys and knew him well.

Doug
05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I see... so that is actually a symbol for the smoke tree ranch... I thought it was a japanese symbol.... ok, well, that is far less interesting, now, isn't it! So, what is the smoke tree ranch?

MouseFaninQueue
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes it is the symbol of Smoke Tree Ranch..

http://image.hospitalityonline.com/e/2155/215507_1.gif

hg0079
05-04-2006, 02:59 PM
interesting how different people see things differently, I immediatly saw that it was initials.

Opus1guy
05-04-2006, 03:58 PM
There were actually quite a few celebrity owners (or "Colonists" as they are known) besides Walt.

There's also still the "Disney Hall" at the Ranch.

I've got a relative that's been a Colonist for decades, and we stayed and played there many times over the past 30+ years (after Walt had sold his share). It's a great place. Our last stay there was in February of 2005. It's a very special hide-away that even few locals know about.

I have about 10 different Smoke Tree neckties, which often get very noticed by folk when I attend Disney events. ;)

It's a fairly private place and the Guard Gate is pretty good at keeping looky-loos out. They definitely don't encourage casual "walk-ins" and will ask what your business is. But if you call ahead and tell them you want to check the place out and maybe even mention you heard about the place because of Walt...they'll often welcome you to make a brief visit and perhaps purchase a knick-knack or two. In fact, just last year they opened a new General Store. :)

Or you could make reservations and stay there. But be forwarded, it's not cheap. Your room includes (depending on what you pay) either full Breakfast, or Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. And that's the way to go. You meet great and interesting people in the communal dining hall. And great food!

But the above (visiting and staying) is only "in-season" when they accept outside reservations (which is generally October to April). Outside that period, they don't take reservations and are basically closed to all but the owners and probably won't let you in for any reason.

We love Smoke Tree Ranch. And can see why Walt and Lillian did too. BTW on their website "History" page, there's thumbnail of Walt and Lillian planning the construction of Disney Hall there. Click on the thumbnail and you'll see the full size photo.

www.smoketreeranch.com

mulansgirl
05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
hehe on the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour our guide mantioned this tie tack. Said Walt loved it and Lillian hated it. when the statue was made the people who made it rememberd he wore that tie tack a lot so they put it on the statue. When Lillian saw it she said something like " figures that would be the one they picked". It was a while ago that I went on the tour but that was the jist of the story.

Oh and I love chinese characters, I hear in Mulan when the ancestors are waking up the characters are the names of the people who worked on the movie. that is just what I heard.

tinkluver
05-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I just looked at the symbol again and clearly see the "S T R" ! :) I too thought it was a japanese symbol or something of that sort :)
Guess you learn something new everyday! :D