PDA

View Full Version : ban on smoking

Pages : [1] 2 3

lillas
04-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Several local government thoughout the country have banned smoking in public places. Is it time for DLR to do the same?

MouseWife
04-20-2002, 09:30 PM
It is banned in a lot of places there, right?

They have smoking areas. I imagine that is to accomodate
those who do smoke.

I think, though, that the majority of the country does allow smoking? I am guessing.

I don't smoke but I don't tell others {except for my kids} not to.

Mouse
04-20-2002, 09:40 PM
I know there are smoking areas at DL and I rearely see anyone smoking outside of those areas. If I do, and they happen to be near my work location, I ask them to put it out. I know smoking is not allowed in lines (or in doors for that matter) but I don't know if there is a park wide ban, excluding smoking areas.

Morrigoon
04-20-2002, 09:41 PM
As an avid non-smoker, I'm pretty pleased with the DLR's current smoking restriction. When they stick to it, it's effective enough for me.

lillas
04-20-2002, 09:43 PM
I mean the entire resort. Many people don't use the designated areas, and the smoke from those that do dosn't stay there. No adult in their right mind would ever start smoking. It's a "stupid teenager rebellion thing" that turns into a horrible habit that many adults can't shake. We'd be helping them by making it less socially exceptable.

Darkbeer
04-20-2002, 10:00 PM
Many DLR guests are not from California, which has one of the most strict smoking laws around. I happen to be a non-smoker, but I think the smokers need to be accomidated. They can't smoke anywhere indoors, so a few smoking areas have been set up for them. I think a lot of the smokers who "break" the rules, just don't know what they are. Most areas in the country, it is perfectly fine to smoke anywhere outdoors, so they don't know any better, usually asking them politely to go to the smoking area works just fine. Of course, there are a few jerks out there, but if it wasn't smoking, it would be swearing, or something else...

Not that the DLR has been perfect about the smoking areas, just recently they moved the smoking area near California Screamin', and relocated one of the areas next to the Maliboomer, alas, they placed on the far edge, right where the walkway narrows, forcing many people to walk right by them, that smoking area lasted about a week before it was closed down.

Maybe they should make some areas of the park, Churro-free. I mean, those things made of Wheat Starch, Water, Oil and a bunch of chemicals, Frozen and re-heated, topped with sugar, which promotes obesity, and children get "sugar" rushs.... Those things are dangerous (you could poke someone else with one!), and replaced with good healthy food, like ToFu, yes, Roasted ToFu sticks, flavored with vegetables.

lillas
04-20-2002, 10:11 PM
If it wasn't for smoking, Walt would have lived longer and Eisner would have never happened.

Ace
04-20-2002, 10:12 PM
yes, you are correct. and it smells so awful.... they should have to smoke in only ONE place. INSIDE INNOVENTIONS!!! MUHAHAHAHA! (a.k.a. "scared straight")

HBTiggerFan
04-20-2002, 10:21 PM
This has been the topic of many threads. They can get nasty, people have left the boards/taken a break because of how nasty they get. I am one of them. That said: I am a smoker (for those of you who thought I was quitting, I tried, failed, am trying again after school is out this May.) DL has smoking areas. They are great. People need to be aware of them. Maybe an announcement on the tram is in order.

True story of my last visit: Me and my bf were sitting in the smoking area and we were talking with this older lady who was there with her husband and daughter. The lady said "We planned the entire trip around the smoking areas".
Point is: People who smoke, who are truely addicted would not be able to enjoy DL if they were not able to smoke. The average smoker needs at least a cigg. and hour, and it is not feasable to make a guest leave the entire resort to smoke. Now your reply may be well then they just shouldn't visit, or that they should quit. But quitting is easier said than done. The smoking areas in DL at least are out of the way, in areas where you almost have to make a point to walk through to be near (execption is Smokers Alley by BTMR). Now in DCA, this is just bad planning. The one decent area is by GRR, farily deserted. The worst area in DCA was when it was by the caresol. Now its by the lagoon, off to the side more. The one by sorin is so-so, its enclosed and the smoke only has one opening, into the main walkway to escape too. Then again DCA is bad planning....

Maybe they need smoking areas in DTD also, personally I like being able to smoke anywhere in DTD, that is outside.

CA has thee toughest smoking laws in the country. We are bombarded many times a night by anti-smoking commericals. Smokers know how bad the habbit is. Don't think for a second we think its this wonderful healthy habbit, becuase we don't. Many smokers would love to quit (I am one of them), but it is alot easier said than done. SO please don't try to tell a smoker they should quit, or that they should not be able to enjoy DL, or they can't do this, or can't do that, but espically that smoking is a nasty habbit and they should quit unless your a former smoker, who has quit...in other words, you have no right to tell a smoker that its a horrible habbit, why don't you quit, unless you have been there, done that and truely know how hard it is to quit.

Rallymonkey23
04-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Maybe they should make some areas of the park, Churro-free. I mean, those things made of Wheat Starch, Water, Oil and a bunch of chemicals, Frozen and re-heated, topped with sugar, which promotes obesity, and children get "sugar" rushs.... Those things are dangerous (you could poke someone else with one!), and replaced with good healthy food, like ToFu, yes, Roasted ToFu sticks, flavored with vegetables. Or how about burnt coffee free! I love going to see Blast! But when entering DCA and smelling that stuff makes you want to turn right back around and go over to DL and forget about the show.

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed in quoted material. -- Lani]

HBTiggerFan
04-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by lillas
If it wasn't for smoking, Walt would have lived longer and Eisner would have never happened.

You cannot state this for fact. By the time that Eisner took over, Walt would have been well into his 80's, maybe alive, maybe not, but most likely not incharge of Disney still. There have been many postings about how Walt would run the company, and many people point out that Walts ethics could not survive in todays market place.

As for no adult in their right mind....
I was an adult when I started smoking. Wether or not I am in my "right mind" is up for debate with my freinds :D But why people start smoking is not for you to say, or debate, or accuse or anything.

Also, you spelled Semper Fi wrong.

_____________End of Reply to Lillas___________________

***Disclamer on my last post***

the words "you" and "your", were a collective, and not directed at any one or group of people

Someone You Dont Know
04-21-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23

Or how about burnt coffee free! I love going to see Blast! But when entering DCA and smelling that stuff makes you want to turn right back around and go over to DL and forget about the show.

I hear that! It actually smells like a cross between burnt coffee and popcorn. Definitely not a good first impression upon entering DCA.

Also... I don't smoke. I don't like smelling other people's smoke at Disneyland, but given the lack of anger management some guests have... I can only imagine how the park would be if there were a bunch of irritated nicotine craving guests ready to snap at anyone who so much as looks at them the wrong way.

Uncle Dick
04-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
DL has smoking areas. They are great. People need to be aware of them. Maybe an announcement on the tram is in order.
The autospiel does mention that smoking is prohibited except in designated areas. Naming off every single area would be time prohibitive (especially since they seem to change every other week ;)). Still, I might try working something to the effect of "To find the locations of designated smoking areas, please consult a guidemap or talk to a Cast Member" into my next spiel. In any case, thanks for the input. :)

Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Or how about burnt coffee free! I love going to see Blast! But when entering DCA and smelling that stuff makes you want to turn right back around and go over to DL and forget about the show.
It takes more than a little burnt coffee to keep me from BLAST! (a restraining order, for example), but what's really bad is late at night when the breeze is blowing just right and the wonderful burnt coffee smell finds its way down to the Lion King Tram loading area. A couple waiting for the tram was complaining about it a few weeks ago. I guess they found it more offensive than the fumes that eminate from the trams.

dizneelover
04-21-2002, 10:43 PM
I don't smoke, i hate smoke from ciggs and cigars. I think they should do to Disneyland what they did at the Hartsfield airport in Atlanta. There, people who want to smoke can, in a little not-well ventalated room. Outside of the room, i can't smell any smoke. It's wonderful! but, i don't know how the smokers like it.

Largent81
04-21-2002, 11:04 PM
I agree with HBTiggerfan and I am not a smoker.

However, lets say DLR does do away with smoking? You are going to see alot less getting done. Why? Because they are going to lose a ton of money.

The smell of cigarette smoke really gets to me. More than most people probably. However, as an ex-smoker I know how hard it is to quit. And I can tell you most people would not quit smoking just so they can go to their favorite theme park. (I said most, not all.)

I know smoking is bad, and I don't condone it, but just like we accomodate others with different political views and disablilities, we have to respect the rights of smokers.

lillas
04-22-2002, 06:32 AM
Smoking has no analogy with politics or disabilities. Its a choice and bad one at that. Maybe a park wide ban would motivate some of you who mentioned that you were trying to quit.

GREGOR
04-22-2002, 07:19 AM
If its not broke don't fix it.
The current policy of smoking areas works just fine. If you really want to have a problem with smokers go to DLP. They smoke everywhere and they throw their butts everywhere.

LuvDisney
04-22-2002, 07:21 AM
I saw this thread and at first wasn't going to respond, because this subject can get alot of people upset. But I just had to make a comment. I personally am very sensitive to smoke. I can get really sick from it. It upsets me when people are insensitive to others around them and subject them to their smoking. But on the other hand I think those who don't smoke should be sensitive to those who have this habit. No one has a right to pass judgement on why someone started or is having a hard time quitting. I don't think a ban on smoking is going to help these people quit. I'm sure for most it is already something they want to do. Personally I have no problem with the way Disneyland has handled this situation. From someone who has a very hard time with smoke I have never found it to interfere with my enjoyment of Disneyland.

mad4mky
04-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by GREGOR
If its not broke don't fix it.
The current policy of smoking areas works just fine. If you really want to have a problem with smokers go to DLP. They smoke everywhere and they throw their butts everywhere.

This is SO TRUE...I was just there last month.

I am not a smoker, nor is anyone else living in my home. BUT, may I bring to everyone's attention that smoking is legal in the U.S.. I hate smoke...it makes me sick to my stomach and brings on migraines for me. But, other people do have the right to smoke in certain areas. I have to live with that.

I also don't drink alcohol. And, they serve alcohol in DCA. Should they stop serving it, because I don't drink? Nope. And people drive after drinking!! Will they stop serving it a DTD? Nope. Alcohol is legal in the U.S....
I don't drink, but I have to live with laws that allow people to drink.

People who smoke and imbibe bring in just as much money as non-smokers and drinkers (in the case of DTD...drinkers probably bring in more $).
These people are doing nothing illegal if they are smoking in a desginated area. I hate walking by...but, I have to if I want to get to where I am going.

I think as Californians we are very lucky to have the laws we have. Enjoy these laws...Other states and Europe have no such laws or restrictions. Disneyland does NOT have to a designated smoking area. They do it to accomidate us non-smokers as much as possible. It is an outdoor amusement park, and only smoking indoors is illegal in California.

HBTiggerFan
04-22-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by lillas
Smoking has no analogy with politics or disabilities. Its a choice and bad one at that. Maybe a park wide ban would motivate some of you who mentioned that you were trying to quit.

As much as I love disneyland, a ban on smoking in the entire resort would make me demand a pro-rated refund of my AP becuase I would not be able to go anymore. The love of Disneyland that alot of people have cannot outweigh the addiction of smoking. the DLR would lose so much money from people who can no longer enjoy the park becuase at some point they made the choice to start smoking and cannot quit.

I repeat, and this is directed at you lillas, DO NOT TRY TO TELL A SMOKER TO QUIT UNLESS YOU ARE AN EX-SMOKER. DO NOT TRY TO TELL A SMOKER WHAT SHOULD MOTIVATE THEM TO QUIT. DO NOT JUDGE ANOTHER UNTIL YOU WALKED IN THEIR SHOES.

On that note, I need a smoke now. Thanks Lillas

WendyT
04-22-2002, 09:49 AM
As a mother of 4 asthmatic children I am given the daily task of making sure that the kids stay away from smoking areas. As many of my friends are smokers that is often daunting.

I do not think that the solution is banning smoking from the parks. Smokers as well as non smokers have a right to enjoy the parks. I think that smoking areas, although often inconvenient to smokers, are a compromise.

Mouse
04-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky

I am not a smoker, nor is anyone else living in my home. BUT, may I bring to everyone's attention that smoking is legal in the U.S.. I hate smoke...it makes me sick to my stomach and brings on migraines for me. But, other people do have the right to smoke in certain areas. I have to live with that.

I also don't drink alcohol. And, they serve alcohol in DCA. Should they stop serving it, because I don't drink? Nope. And people drive after drinking!! Will they stop serving it a DTD? Nope. Alcohol is legal in the U.S....
I don't drink, but I have to live with laws that allow people to drink.

People who smoke and imbibe bring in just as much money as non-smokers and drinkers (in the case of DTD...drinkers probably bring in more $).
These people are doing nothing illegal if they are smoking in a desginated area. I hate walking by...but, I have to if I want to get to where I am going.

I think as Californians we are very lucky to have the laws we have. Enjoy these laws...Other states and Europe have no such laws or restrictions. Disneyland does NOT have to a designated smoking area. They do it to accomidate us non-smokers as much as possible. It is an outdoor amusement park, and only smoking indoors is illegal in California.

I agree completely with mad4mky and GREGOR.

I don't smoke, and never plan to. I hate the smell of smoke and dislike walking by smoking areas, but just because I don't want to walk by smoking areas doesn’t mean I don't respect peoples right to smoke in designated areas.

To add onto mad4mky's note that smoking is more restricted in CA then in many other states/countries. A while back my family stopped in a little dinner in Arizona for lunch on the way to visit grandparents. A man who was sitting with his wife was enjoying a cigar a table or two down from ours. I couldn't believe the man had enough gall to smoke indoors while I was trying to eat. I was getting rather frustrated until suddenly realized "Were not in California anymore," and that smoking was allowed here. While I still did not enjoy the smoke I realized it was that man's right to smoke his cigar.

outlaw8
04-22-2002, 10:52 AM
I used to smoke for 13 years and one day woke up and said that was it!!
I didn't use ANY patch or chemical. Now just because it was easy for me doesn't mean it's easy for anyone else....
Now about DL, I went last Nov and the one thing I noticed or DIDN'T notice that people
were smoking. I asked my wife if she saw anyone smoking and she said only in certain areas. So.I went looking for these areas..I thought that was GREAT! A place for everything and everything in its place. Leave the smokers alone as long as they obey the rules on where to smoke. The only thing I worry about is the UGLY smokers, the ones who don't care about anyone else or where they are.

80S ERA
04-22-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by GREGOR
...throw their butts everywhere.

Ummm....

Never mind!

socabch
04-22-2002, 12:55 PM
I completely agree with mad4mky and I also suffer from migraines. The only issue I have are rude smokers that get offended if you politely tell them DL now has smoking areas. A lady in front of Space Mtn entrance was smoking and I was waiting for my kids. I told her that DL started a new thing where smokers have a special area set aside for them to enjoy. She said "I know and I don't give a S@@@ because I will smoke where I want, it's my body." Well.... that ruffled my feathers. But I held my tongue with what I wanted to say and just said "That's sad that you have no consideration for the children that are here breathing in your smoke". I walked away.

Let me add that I used to smoke and quit 17 years ago. It was hard. My hubby smokes but he goes outside and doesn't smoke in the car.