PDA

View Full Version : DLH, PPH, or GCH

hairboy079
04-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Ok, this is mainly an opinion question. Which of the on-site hotel at DLR is your favorite?

Although I have not been there, and we're trying to get a trip up and running, with me trying to find the tips and deals, etc. if money allows, are going to try and stay at the Disneyland Hotel. This is what I think my family would enjoy the most and what most first timers would prefer. What do u think?

disneyholic family
04-20-2002, 12:04 PM
i'm curious about the answers to this one..

we have reservations for july at the GC...but it's our first time...so i don't know what's best..

corrinhorn
04-20-2002, 02:31 PM
If Money is no object then the GC is the best...It is an amazing hotel, and the rooms are very nice, bunkbeds for the kids and such. (I have not actually stayed there, but I do work at the Resort) The other nice thing about this hotel is that it is actually inside DCA, and very close to Disneyland.
I believe that Disneyland Hotel is in the middle, cost wise but it is a very nice hotel. It is very close to the monorail, which is nice, because then you can get on the monorail, and get dropped off in Tomorrow land instead of having to trek through the park...good if you want to get to fantasyland quickly like I believe Mousewife said in the other post.
The Paradise Peir hotel is the least expensive. I have not been in there since it changed, but when it was the Pacific Hotel, it was pretty nice. unfortunately, it is a bit farther away, but I would presume that there is a shuttle to Disneyland.

Hope it helps... good luck and enjoy the trip

bluepearl
04-20-2002, 02:59 PM
I've only stayed at the GCH and let me tell you that I had a fantastic time. The atmosphere is awesome! My friends and I want to go there again soon.

MouseWife
04-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Well, if money is no object, then the Grand Californian is just the place for you. It is beautiful, comfortable {the best bed I have slept in all of my traveling, besides a mountain cabin} and close.

But, if money is an object, the Paradise Pier is the least expensive. We have stayed there as well and it is great. The only thing is now that the monorail station is the only transport in to the park {am I right on this?} it will be a walk. But, I also think the Disneyland hotel is a walk to the Monorail, too.

Now, if you folks say those prices are out of range, there are a lot of nice places nearby.

The place we usually stay at, if the others aren't having specials {and, this is a big thing, definitely check for any specials!! AAA is one and American Express might get you a discount. Military as well, maybe, at least on tickets I know} is the Embassy Suites. It is technically in Garden Grove but right there. And, the shuttle is great. Great amenities for a family.

Go on this site to the travel section, they have a lot of hotels listed where you can enter the dates you are traveling and they will give you prices and such. Prices change all of the time.
If you call the Disney hotels directly, ask them if this is absolutely their lowest rate? Maybe called {like with Best Western} their 'Best Rate'.

That is what I do. I start high, and work my way down to what is affordable and gets us all of the days we want.

corrinhorn
04-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Now that I think about it Mousewife, I believe that you are right... The monorail is the only way in, unless you want to walk through Downtown Disney, (not bad) but yeah, if you want to stay at the DLR then look into Paridise Pier or Disneyland Hotel

MouseWife
04-20-2002, 04:08 PM
I'm only going by what I've heard on here. :)

disneyholic family
04-20-2002, 08:22 PM
how far is the walk from the GC to DL?

downingfamily1
04-21-2002, 09:21 AM
The GC is a short walk from the main entrance to DL and DCA.

disneyhead
04-21-2002, 01:41 PM
For us, The Grand is the only on-property hotel we would stay at. It is a fantastic hotel and only a little more than the others. It is the only on-property hotel actually built by Disney. The others were built by other operators then eventually purchased by Disney. They are considerably older in style and appearance. They remind me of the dozens of genric hotels that can be found at any beach in anywhere America. While nice they aren't Disney to me. The Grand on the otherhand is not only Disney from top to bottom, it is the nicest American Disney hotel ever built. If we don't stay at the Grand, it is hard to justify the Disney price for the Disneyland Hotel and the Paradise Pier. There are several other hotels that are just as nice, just as close, and half the price. There are no other hotels in the area that are as nice, as close, or as magical as the Grand.

hairboy079
04-21-2002, 04:10 PM
One question. Will any of the on-site hotels allow you to use the pools even if you are not staying with them? This is a controversy for our family, becuase I wanted to stay in the DLH, but if we go out, my grandpa said he would pay for the tickets if we stayed with him in Santa Ana. I was just curious if we could still use the pool.

Dave Z
04-21-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hairboy079
One question. Will any of the on-site hotels allow you to use the pools even if you are not staying with them? This is a controversy for our family, becuase I wanted to stay in the DLH, but if we go out, my grandpa said he would pay for the tickets if we stayed with him in Santa Ana. I was just curious if we could still use the pool.

The DLR hotel pools require a room key to enter the pool area.

DZ

tabacco
04-21-2002, 08:17 PM
GCH! GCH!

tjrj
04-22-2002, 07:27 AM
We've stayed at 2 of the 3-we've missed the PPH. I think it definitely matters as to what you are looking for in a hotel. Characters around the corner? More of a 'kid' atmosphere? Great pool theming? Koi ponds, waterfalls, fantasy waters? Big hotel rooms? Good-size storage?(meaning closets, drawers, etc.) Then DLH may have more appeal.

Awe-inspiring architecture? Like to have a 'wow' feeling the minute you pull up? The 'feel' of a new hotel? Close to both DCA and DL? More of an "adult" feel? Beautiful bathrooms? Do smaller hotel rooms with less storage work for you? Views of the parks? Nice pool area-but you like not intensely themed? The GCH is truly a 'wow' hotel.

Just my opinion folks. But the first day at the GCH, I was kinda disappointed. Just didn't have that "Disney feel" I'd come to expect from DLH. But I loved the interior-it is just so cool. And the next day, Chip and Dale(and Santa) were there to visit and play with my kids while the hubby and I enjoyed an 'adult beverage' in those comfortable rockers by the fire-ah! vacation.

disneyholic family
04-22-2002, 10:02 AM
i was told by the reservation CM that when you stay at the GC you're allowed to use the pool at the DLH too...

mad4mky
04-22-2002, 10:29 AM
I have only stayed at the GCH...wow. I loved it. It was so quiet and relaxing...

During the time we stayed at the GCH it was raining...it was so nice to come into the warming atmopshere of the hotel. Our room was so cozy and plush. I loved it. It was just hubby and I, our girls didn't come with us on this trip. But, we really enjoyed it. The monorail went right by our room...and we didn't even hear it go by....