PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hill & the Hillbillies and the Golden Horseshoe refurb [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

cheshcat9
05-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know what will happen to Billy Hill and the Hillbillies during the Golden Horseshoe refurb?

I see that the Golden Horseshoe is scheduled to close this month, and the Billies are still listed on Disneyland.com schedule, but I was wondering if anyone knew where they'll be playing.

potzbie
08-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I am a big fan of BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES.
(I'll abbreviate them as "BH").

I try to see them every time I go to Disneyland.
I must have seen them 30 times, by now.
I have seen all the "teams" and their acts.
(You know that BH is seven days a week, so they have to rotate performers. There are therefore at least eight, and really, approximately ten, Hillbillies, to allow for substitutions.)

It dawned on me recently that BH is the ONLY BLUEGRASS MUSICAL ACT to play the songs:
1.) "Blackdog" (Led Zepplin)
2.) "Theme from Jeopardy"
3.) "No Matter What You Do" (Badfinger)

There is more than one web site with pages devoted to BH.
So I know there are fans even more nuts than I am about BH.

Instead of me hiding this posting in the threads like "What do you do reguarly at DL" and such, I wanted to create a new thread.

PLEASE:
I don't want to post "spoiler* data, and ruin their jokes' punchlines.
(Well, I DO, but I shall restrain myself!)
I know all their gags. And I still like them all.
So please don't mess up future audiences' freshness by posting BH scripts and schtick.

But I do want to share BH with the world, and have MousePlanet regulars and irregulars to check them out.

BH is one of the few "rides and attractions" I do regularity at DL.

I should post a separate thread for THE MINER FORTY-NINERS, likewise.
You know that there is some overlap of substitutes, between the two acts, don't you?

Likewise, you may remember that I am logging the PIANO PLAYERS at REFRESHMENT CORNER (formerly "COCA-COLA CORNER").
And likewise for the bands at CLUB BUZZ.
And likewise for the swing/jump bands at CARNATION PLAZA GARDENS.

DangerMouse
08-12-2006, 08:51 AM
I like the Billies, and have seen almost all the groups perform. I will only go to a show now if Kirk is playing. He's the only Billy for me.

disneyhound
08-12-2006, 09:53 AM
The Billies are great! We always take in several BH shows when we are at DL, we try for one a day if possible!

nvmom
08-12-2006, 10:47 AM
We love BH!! We've only seen them twice, as we've only been to DLR twice, thus far. Both times it's been the same team. I'm a bit curious to see another group perform. Just to compare, I guess. :)

nvmom

annieb727
08-12-2006, 11:46 AM
This is on my list of things yet to do at DL - and I was really hoping to do so on my next DL trip...but looks like Golden Horseshoe will be closed - and there is no news (that I know of) yet that says if they will still be performing somewhere...:crying:

Gone2Disneyland
08-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Count me as a fan. Over the past four or five years, I've seen the "classic" line-up most often, the ones who've put out two CDs recently. But coincidentally today I went to see their first show and saw a quartet of Billys I've never ever seen before. I was a bit worried that they might not live up to expectations, but they were hilarious! Whew! :D Saw lots of new gags that are their own, and their lead Orange Blossom Special Billy was downright educational, doing several different animal sounds with that fiddle of his. Great show!

I Heart Disneyland!
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I got a HUGE kick out of their Beatles routine in May. I am a Beatles fan from way back (1960's) and it was fun to see them doing songs from them.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-12-2006, 07:08 PM
See photo!

Pirate Princess
08-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Am I the only one who hated this show??? I went in Dec 2005 and will not be back again. It was nice to have a show with my meal, but I would rather it be another type of show.
Are some groups funnier than others? No one was laughing at their jokes, which were very few and far between.

Another Dimension
08-12-2006, 08:34 PM
The Billies are cool.

I enjoy all the teams, all the sets, all the jokes, all the seasonal changes,
and all the Billies. I do miss Evan as a Billy, a lot though!

Refreshment Corner has been officially called Refreshment Corner for many years. It's nickname has been Coke Corner for many years.

The 49ers are fun.

Mousetrap Overture is an unbelievably incredible piece of music.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
You know, when we were there everyone was laughing and having a good time. I can't say I'd watch them more than once per trip, but, always enjoy sitting down for a bit with a load of corny jokes!

Malcon10t
08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I see on the schedule that from Sept 5th on the Golden Horseshoe is closed, BUT it has the Billies on the entertainment schedule. I guess that's an error?

Hoppypooh
08-16-2006, 08:00 AM
According to the Mouseplanet updates, Billy Hill & Hillbillies will be relocated to another location while the Horseshoe is refurbed. But I don't think that location has been announced yet.

Alex S.
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
According to the MousePlanet update the Golden Horseshoe will be closed but the entertainment schedule still lists Billy Hill and the Hillbillies so we assume they will be playing in another location.

I don't know for sure. Last time this happened they moved to the stage at Big Thunder Ranch.

Darkbeer
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
^But the Big Thunder Stage is scheduled for closure the last half of September to prepare for the Halloween themed activities that will be held in the area this year (similar to last year's Christmas Village).

ScrapKat
08-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I saw them today for the first time (1:00 show) and laughed a BUNCH and pretty much fell in love with them. I told dh that I will go to another of their shows before we leave next week even if I have to go by myself. :p

I'll upload some pics later. I'd love to know who the main Billy was that I saw today. He's my new hero.

MouseWife
08-17-2006, 06:43 AM
If y'all are including the groups that put on a show out in front of the 'Theater' then I am in with ya on this! Corny jokes are great!!! We laugh sooo much and it is fun to see how the kids react.

junglemom
08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I love BH! And the audience interactive skits in front of the Saloon are a riot. We always stop for those.

potzbie
08-17-2006, 08:32 AM
If y'all are including the groups that put on a show out in front of the 'Theater' then I am in with ya on this!

No.
The group which performs skits in front of the Golden Horseshoe Saloon is the LAUGHING STOCK COMPANY. (I'll call them "LSC".)
They are independent of the teams of BILLY HILL.
No overlap of personnel.
(Yet I think one person indeed has performed in both groups, but that is the exception. There is no one-to-one relationship between LSC and BH.

Another Dimension
08-19-2006, 01:42 AM
No.
The group which performs skits in front of the Golden Horseshoe Saloon is the LAUGHING STOCK COMPANY. (I'll call them "LSC".)
They are independent of the teams of BILLY HILL.
No overlap of personnel.
(Yet I think one person indeed has performed in both groups, but that is the exception. There is no one-to-one relationship between LSC and BH.

The leader of the green team, Billy Elvis John, plays 'the woman' in the Laughing Stock Company performances quite often. :)

David&Emmy's Mom
08-19-2006, 07:15 AM
My family also loves the Billys, especially the Beatles segment. Typically, on a 5-day trip to DL, we will see at least 3 BH shows. We also bought their CD for the long road trip home on our last trip in March.

disneyhound
08-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Am I the only one who hated this show???

I suppose it all depends on what you are expecting. I appreciate the musical talent much more than the coorrnnnieee jokes! The acoustic guitar solo by one of the Billies we saw at a show last January was surperb. I play guitar and I wish I had 10% the talent of that musician!

hg0079
08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
we loved them.... we also loved the street show out front with the mayor

janvincent 1313
08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi all, I am new to this message board. My name is Jan and I am the webmistress of the official Billy Hill website that features the Sunday/Monday team called The Billys. This team consists of Kirk Wall, Dennis Fetchet, Rick Storey and Anders Swanson. This site can be viewed at http://www.thebillys.net

I also do several other Billy Hill pages that include all three "teams" and their history, as well as pages featuring the original Billy Hill team that included the Marshall Brothers, Kirk Wall and Dennis Fetchet.

I also write and maintain the only internet site telling the entire History of the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and it's various shows. All of these pages can be found on http://www.jansworld.net Just check to main page to see those various links.

Just a head's up for Billy Hill fans regarding the rehab of the Golden Horseshoe....
The Horseshoe closes from Septemeber 5th, 2006 until September 29th, 2006. Although nothing is cast in stone at Disney, currently the plan is to let the boys have a couple of weeks of vacation, followed by a couple weeks of rehearsal during this down time. So for the first time since 1992, there will be no "Billys" featured in the park during September. :crying: Hopefully Disney will change their minds, but I'm not counting on it.