PDA

View Full Version : Weight limits.

hg0079
05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I am sure this has been covered before but I wanted to share the response I got when submitting a question at DL website

First I was amazed how quickly I got a responce but it didn't help. I know my brother is just under the 300 mark (an I am not "thin" either) so was curios of what disney rides we could or couldn't ride. Anyone have any opinions on this.

I know that the Orange Stinger is out.... (fine with me though)

I asked the following
We are planning a trip in the summer to DLR.

We have yet to find information on weight restrictions for rides for adults.

Can you share with us why rides would be off limits to a 300 lb or larger
person.

Thankyou

Here is the response.

Thank you for your e-mail to the Disneyland Resort.

The attractions at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resorts carry
Guests on more than 300
million rides each year. Each of these 300 million Guests have varying weights,
sizes, and body
shapes which makes it difficult to provide a blanket statement on which body
types can best be
accommodated by our attractions. In keeping with our commitment to safety,
Guests will not be
permitted to experience an attraction unless the ride vehicles and their safety
devices can safely
accommodate the Guest.

The Disneyland Resort attractions offer a variety of different seating
configurations and safety
devices that are able to accommodate Guests of various shapes and sizes. Our
seating configurations
range from individual seats to bench seating and our safety devices include lap
bars, seat belts and
over the shoulder harnesses, which may prevent some Guests from being able to
ride. Should you be
in doubt or have any additional questions during your visit, we encourage you to
speak with a Cast
Member at the location before boarding for more information regarding the
attraction which will
better help you decide if it is suitable for you. You are also welcome to visit
City Hall, located
inside Disneyland park, or Guest Relations, located inside Disney's California
Adventure park.

Below you will find our safety requirements.

For safety and comfort, you should be in good health and free from heart, back
or neck problems,
motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure.
Expectant mothers
should not ride.

Disneyland Park

1 year minimum age
Autopia

3 year minimum + 52" maximum height (132 cm)
Goofy's Bounce House

35" minimum height (89 cm)
Gadget's Go Coaster
Matterhorn Bobsleds

40" minimum height (102 cm)
Big Thunder Mountain
Star Tours
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain (If the Guest is under 8 years of age and meets 40" height
requirement, they
must be accompanied by a responsible person who is 16 years of age or older.)

46" minimum height (117 cm)
Indiana Jones" Adventure

52" minimum height (132 cm)
Autopia (to drive alone)

Disney's California Adventure park:

40" minimum requirement (102 cm)
Jumpin' Jellyfish (350 lb maximum combined weight per Jellyfish)
Soarin' Over California
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

42" minimum requirement (107 cm)
Grizzly River Run
Mulholland Madness
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Cable Slide
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Traverse Wall
Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies

48" minimum requirement (122 cm)
California Screamin'
Orange Stinger

52" minimum requirement (132 cm)
Maliboomer

Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies - Driver: 54" minimum height (138 cm).
Passenger: 36" minimum
height (92 cm).

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
opportunity to visit the
Disneyland Resort soon and trust your visit will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Shaun Collins
Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications

Please note, all information is subject to change without notice and should be
confirmed just prior
to your visit.

Received date: 5/1/06

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

bradk
05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
it's not a shock to me. they use boilerplate answers. actually, i take it back. i'm shocked because the answer is even somewhat relevant. (i think they match by keywords and then just click on blocks of text to enter).

anyway, i did a quick search in this forum using the affectionate term 'pooh size' and came up with the following thread which might help you out a bit: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=43999&

hg0079
05-02-2006, 11:53 AM
thankyou that was informative...

kenban
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
There is no weight limit on almost all of the rides its more of a limit on the ability of people to fit on a ride. At many parks including Universal they put one of the ride vehicles or seats outside the entrance to a ride. I don't believe any Disney ride has this so the only way to know for sure is to stand through the line and try. Since the weight itself is not the problem I doubt anyone can help you.

poohlover
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Other than the Orange Stinger, I never saw a max capacity weight posted anywhere. Our family was at DL in 10/05. I was about 306 and 5'7" and had no problems on any ride I wanted to ride. My husband is about 325 and 5'9" and other than jamming his knee weird getting into Space Mountain (he was able to get settled before it launched), he was okay too (though very cozy in Autopia).

I remember reading somewhere before our trip that sometimes if the car on Space Mountain is over the weight capacity (measured by some unseen sensor or ??), it'll default off the track to alternate track. From there, the CM would redirect the passengers back into line and discretely mix them up so as to alter the load. Well, my husband and I, plus our two daughters (another probably 260 pounds together) were all together and had no problem whatsoever. Three times. I was worried about that but it was not a problem. Also, I worried about the retraints on California Screamin', the flip over the shoulder kind, but they were fine.

We had a fantastic time and our size was never an issue as far as the rides went. Now, finding t-shirts to fit was a different story...there is a limited supply of 3X's, some at the Downtown Disney store and some at the Main Street store.

Have a blast!

charpaul
05-02-2006, 03:45 PM
There IS a total car weight limit on Space. I know because my friends and I have tripped it several times.....
You cannot load 12 men, all over 240 lbs, onto that attraction at once:p

It is a gravity coaster and if there is too much weight it will either mess up the timing of the ride OR be too much to control when the cars pass through the break areas throughout the ride.

Usually the CM in charge of loading this attraction will see that our party is "large" and break us into two smaller loads so that it does not trip the weight sensor (you are weighed when you are sitting in front of the "launch control" window just before you take the right turn to go up the first small lift. This is where the track forks right or left.) If the lights on the LEFT side of the fork start flashing you will be diverted to that side - unloaded - and returned to the loading area to try again in a different configuration of riders...

This does not happen at any other attraction in either park... Although a whole "flight" of bigger guys has made for a very bumpy Soarn' Over Ca ride....

The only weight limit posted IS on Orange Stinger - I think there MIGHT be one for Jumping Jelly Fish but I am not sure.

It usually comes down to whether or not a person can FIT into the attraction vehicle or not (with the appropriate restraint fastened..)

I have been there many times with people approaching 400 lbs and they can do almost everything. It is generally their legs that get very cramped on the attractions or make it so that they cannot fit.

chrisaustx
05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I saw a 400 pound woman on Space Mountain last week, she had to have two cast members help her out of the car, so if that lady can ride space mountain, you should have no worries. The really rotund folks might have problems with Indiana Jones or California Screaming, both have very small seats and clearances to enter the vehicle.

hg0079
05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
There is no weight limit on almost all of the rides its more of a limit on the ability of people to fit on a ride. At many parks including Universal they put one of the ride vehicles or seats outside the entrance to a ride. I don't believe any Disney ride has this so the only way to know for sure is to stand through the line and try. Since the weight itself is not the problem I doubt anyone can help you.

hmmmm, standing in line and trying just to find out that you don't fit is the last thing any over weight person wants to do. Hense the investigation....many over weight people are fine "missing out" on an attraction just let the info be available to them prior to getting onto the ride, so thanks to those who have given useable in this topic.

jennia
05-03-2006, 10:46 AM
The rockets in tomorrow land (getting a blank on the official name) do have a weight restriction written on the "arm" that attaches the rocket to the ride. CM loaded us in even though DH and I (together) exceeded that weight restriction. So now we split up and one of the adults rides with my son. Also that thing is sort of tough to get out of especially if you don't have knees like Tigger's that bounce!:D

DH has been at DLR when he weighed 300+ and has never been turned away from a ride.

newhdplayer
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Now this guy couldn't go on any ride...

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060503/2006-05-03T121624Z_01_L0381917_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-SCIENCE-OBESITY-DC.html

kimmybear
05-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Now this guy couldn't go on any ride...

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060503/2006-05-03T121624Z_01_L0381917_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-SCIENCE-OBESITY-DC.html

the article says he's going to go to Italy for surgery. How's he going to get on the plane? :(

SifuJustin
05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
being too tall is more of a problem than being too fat.

MrsPooh
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
being too tall is more of a problem than being too fat.

I hear that. I am only 5'8", but my legs are extremely long (almost the same length as my 6'5" cousin) and I have trouble with my knees banging things, especially Matterhorn.

SandraVB79
05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
In case you go in the Storybookland boats, make a wise decision when you have to choose on which side of the boat you're going to sit.
My mom, who can't swim, thought she was going to end up in the water when three pooh-sized women squished in next to her. TG the CM quickly made two of the move to the other side!

Every time we talk about DL, my mom remember this one... I don't think I'll get her on those boats again... one more ride she won't do anymore :rolleyes:

It's difficult for Disney to give a "real" answer to your question. For the Orange Stinger, there is a real weight limit. For the other rides, it's more or less the seats and/ or restraints that will restrict people from riding or not. Two people can have the same weight, but a completely different body shape. i think it all depends on "where" the weight is...

acpalmer
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm reading this thread for the height requirements as we do some planning for our kids and these two sections seem to contradict each other...anyone know the "real" scoop on Tuck and Roll's?

42" minimum requirement (107 cm)
Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies

Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies - Driver: 54" minimum height (138 cm).
Passenger: 36" minimum
height (92 cm).

cfitz/pirates
05-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm reading this thread for the height requirements as we do some planning for our kids and these two sections seem to contradict each other...anyone know the "real" scoop on Tuck and Roll's?

My DD was 42" tall and rode Tuck and rolls by her self and my DH 5,10" rode his own.

momuvseven
05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I have seen a HUGE variety of people at DL on all kinds of rides. There was a thread about this a few months ago and I think I recall there was a mention of seatbelt extenders being available for some rides that could be requested from a CM.

I am plus size and fit into everything however it is my knees and age that give me trouble now and I no longer choose to go on some rides because I find it uncomfortable to get in and out. My dh is very thin and tall and has the same problem with his knees. I think a lot does depend on your individual body type and how limber you are.

Have a great vacation!

MrsSmith
05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Since I carry a lot of my weight in my lower half, it wasn't the rides I had trouble with. It was the TURNSTILES !!! Some of the turnstiles on the rides are a pretty tight fit. I had a moment of panic in the Snow White attraction when I thought I was going to be stuck.

I wouldn't even try the one at the New Orleans train station because it had some sort of vertical metal bar on the "open" side of it that actually bent IN a couple of inches. I stopped in front of it in a dead panic and refused to take one step further !

Why are all those tiny turnstiles even necessary? I noticed the Buzz Lightyear ride didn't have one at all. I'm sure there has to be another way to count riders if that's why they are there.

potzbie
05-23-2006, 02:02 PM
One of the tighest fits is the exit turnstiles of the HAUNTED MANSION.

Entry turnstiles of JUNGLE CRUISE is less of a problem.

Go figure.

(old joke)

I walked into the PENNY ARCADE to weigh myself and get my fortune.
I stepped on the scale, put in my penny, and out came the card saying, "Whoa there, fellas! One at time, please!"
:) :mad: :confused:

Schmetterling
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I went to DL and DCA last year at my heaviest, and had no problems. I was a plus size and everything. Disney is wonderful about that. We have an amusement park in UT, and really there are very few rides you can feel comfortable getting on. I love Disney for this reason, that I can go and not have to worry, or tell myself I have to lose weight before we go. I mean I want to anyways, and have lost about 30 pounds so far. But still, its not going to stop me from having a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Omnitographer
05-23-2006, 07:35 PM
@325lb - 6'4" The only 3 places in the whole resort i had a problem (of what ive been on :P) is space mountain (bruised knees), maliboomer (some belts too short for my tallness), orange stinger (nooooooooo).

rides i have minor trouble with are big thunder (first row in each car has less leg room), Haunted mansion (bar thing bangs into knees), small world (can tip unbalanced boat).

other than that, ive not had any troubles. in fact i realy wish they would convert SM to overshoulder restraints like screamin, i can ride screamin just fine and its realy no bigger than sm.

r-we-there-yet
05-23-2006, 10:34 PM
slightly off subject, I found rides at Knotts Berry farm to be less "big person" friendly. Mainly the kiddie type rides, daughter loves it when dad rides with her. Have to say it was rather embarrasing at times when they couldn't get the bar to lock.

But, Disneyland rocks in this area for the "big boned" individuals. The only ride I disliked at first was Moholland Madness, but last Dec., I noticed they split the sitting bar, which rocked.

hg0079
05-24-2006, 09:53 AM

where did the second figures come from? I know I posted the first! (and they are from Disney's website.)

acpalmer
05-25-2006, 05:58 PM
where did the second figures come from? I know I posted the first! (and they are from Disney's website.)

I copied all of the figures out of your post, so I'm assuming that they all come from Disneyland since that's where you got them. Go back and read what you copied over from the letter they sent you, both sets of numbers are in there, so that's where my confusion came from--Disney seems to be contradicting itself.