PDA

View Full Version : Back From WDW - Here are some rides that are not as good as DLR's

Pages : [1] 2 3

Doug
05-01-2006, 03:37 PM
POTC is probably the most obvious, as it is shorter, and duller, the que is very nice, but you will hardly notice, as no one waits in line long!

Small World looks much better outside, the one at WDW is a joke outside, but inside thier's is just a tad nicer.

We have Cal Screamin', they do not...

We have GRR, they do not....

We have the Matterhorn, they do not....

Comments?

bradk
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
WDW has Kali. Kali itself isn't as good as GRR but it's incredibly well themed.

there can be only one Matterhorn, but on that same token, WDW has Everest.

WDW also has RNR which is as comparable to Screamin' as it gets. And I think RNR wins that battle.

there's a lot of attractions DLR has that WDW doesn't and vice versa.

but as far as the ones they both have, Splash is better at WDW. HM is better at DLR and (I'm assuming) Space is better at DLR.

and we all know about the enchanted tiki room

DisneylandForever
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
POTC is probably the most obvious, as it is shorter, and duller, the que is very nice, but you will hardly notice, as no one waits in line long!

Small World looks much better outside, the one at WDW is a joke outside, but inside thier's is just a tad nicer.

Comments?

You pretty much summed it up. WDW has better attractions almost all around. Their Space Mountain is better, Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Splash, ToT, etc.

IMO, what Disneyland has better:

POTC
Haunted Mansion
Tiki Room
Small World
Matterhorn is better than Everest (although EE felt more like Big Thunder to me)
Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur

That's all I can think of now. But Disneyland definitely has the market on "magic." Walt's fingerprints are all over it. In WDW I only feel them sporadically.

GrimmGreen
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
ummm also ... they have 4 PARKS!! and we have.. um... 2 ,, also i would give up riding i'ts a small world for the rest of my life to ride Expedition Everest!!

TheMur
05-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Our Fantasmic is night and day better than the show at MGM.

I would say that WDW's Jungle Cruise is slightly better then DL.
WDW has Swiss Family Treehouse and we have Tarzan - advantage WDW.

We have Roger Rabbit and I don't think WDW does (our Toontown is better than theirs)

They have the Hall of President's and we may never get Lincoln back.

We have the Disney Gallery and they don't.
We have the Blue Bayou and they don't.
We have Walt's apartment!

ralfrick
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Space Mountain is vastly superior at DL.

Cheers.

Wendi
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Their Space Mountain is better.

:eek: Um... better than our OLD one!!!

Doug, I'm hoping you didn't even enter the atrocity they call a Tiki Room over there... it's not on your list anyway - I hope you didn't put yourself through it. :crying:

Doug
05-02-2006, 06:41 AM
What? "Matterhorn is better than Everest", how can you say that? Materhorn is not even comparable to EE, EE is *FAR* superior if you where to compare the two.... Matterhorn needs to be refurbed, smooth it out, remove the clunkieness of it...

You pretty much summed it up. WDW has better attractions almost all around. Their Space Mountain is better, Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Splash, ToT, etc.

IMO, what Disneyland has better:

POTC
Haunted Mansion
Tiki Room
Small World
Matterhorn is better than Everest (although EE felt more like Big Thunder to me)
Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur

That's all I can think of now. But Disneyland definitely has the market on "magic." Walt's fingerprints are all over it. In WDW I only feel them sporadically.

Doug
05-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, one thing if for sure, it's very dificult to watch Fantasmic here at DLR, because of the crouwds, but at WDW, it's easy to get a seat, and wait for the show.... I liked thier water screens better .... but, yes, everything else is better here.... especially since we have the Mark Twain, they have this little crummy looking copy, so sad....

Our Fantasmic is night and day better than the show at MGM.

I would say that WDW's Jungle Cruise is slightly better then DL.
WDW has Swiss Family Treehouse and we have Tarzan - advantage WDW.

We have Roger Rabbit and I don't think WDW does (our Toontown is better than theirs)

They have the Hall of President's and we may never get Lincoln back.

We have the Disney Gallery and they don't.
We have the Blue Bayou and they don't.
We have Walt's apartment!

Doug
05-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Not sure why you say that.... well, the one thing I definately like better about the WDW Space Mtn is the great lapbar! Now, that is far superior to the horendus one we have here at DLR.... what makes them think that a the average person can fit comfortable between those two bars? With the mono bar, like WDW uses, it does not matter how big or small you are.... right?

Space Mountain is vastly superior at DL.

Cheers.

Doug
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
No, did not get a chance to check out thier tiki room, why? What is so bad about it?

Doug, I'm hoping you didn't even enter the atrocity they call a Tiki Room over there... it's not on your list anyway - I hope you didn't put yourself through it. :crying:

bradk
05-02-2006, 06:59 AM
hmm...

that's not a copy of the mark twain in WDW's F! (DLR also has the Columbia), that's the steamboat willie (hence the b&w mickey at the helm). and speaking of F!, I think the ampitheatre at WDW is too polished, it's too formal. I much rather prefer the intimacy of it all popping out of the ground right in front of you.

the enchanted tiki room at WDW is the 'under new management' version. the pre-show is a couple of agents arguing whose client is superior and their clients (iago and zazu) now manage the tiki room.

i was hesistent to give the matterhorn - everest comparison myself. the matterhorn has a really signficiant part in the history of roller coasters, being the first to be made of tubular steel construction, paving the way for most every roller coaster since, not to mention having dual tracks.

everest on the other hand has cutting edge animatronics, but the coaster itself is already behind the times.

ralfrick
05-02-2006, 08:32 AM
When I first rode Space in WDW in 1983, it was a real letdown compared to my first ride at DL in 1982. Not only that, it was a real letdown to my friend just based on my description of the one in DL. Themeing wise, the load area at DL is much more interesting. The big problem I have though, is that in WDW it is not dark. Last July, I finally started staring straight up so I couldn't see the track. Once they added a soundtrack at DL, there was just no comparison for me at least.

Full disclosure, I did think it was better in WDW last summer than on my two previous visits, and I have yet to ride in DL since it reopened.

Cheers.

Doug
05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Now that I think of it, I do not remember hearing music on the WDW version of Space Mtn.... Hmm...

PapiBear
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I've only been to WDW once, back in 1994, and I have to admit that, overall, I was blown away by the entire experience. Having grown up going to Disneyland (before it became a "resort"), I'm rather loathe to compare the two, since WDW clearly has so much more land to utilize, of which they do a tremendous job. That said, if I had to compare just Disneyland with WDW's Magic Kingdom, with a few exceptions (such as the Hall of Presidents and, in general, more open space to move around in), I have to say I like Disneyland more, probably because of its overall coziness. However, on hot, crowded summer days, that can be a big drawback as well.

But I still remember driving up the main entrance to WDW, my mouth agape, as I realized that the entrance was The Disney Freeway. For those of you in California who've never been to WDW, just imagine if Disneyland owned most of Anaheim and replaced most of the buildings and houses with vast tracts of wilderness. Yeah. It's that big.

bradk
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
what they tell you is WDW property is about twice the size of Manhattan, or the size of San Francisco (?). during the K2TK tour, where they go over how Disney went about purchasing lots of land in Orlando 'secretly,' it's all summed up with saying 1/3 of the land is set aside for preserves and only 1/3 is developed with 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, 5 golf courses, over 20 resorts and room to spare.

still, i agree on the intimacy of DLR. it could have been achieved at WDW, but things were overcompensated for (in my opinion) to address the shortcomings of DLR. I use the HM as my prime example. At DLR, it feels to me like you're just entering someone's home. The queue is much more pronounced at WDW and it feels more like you're entering a show building at an amusement park.

nursemelis374
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Isn't Space at WDW pretty much the Matterhorn inside a building?

Better at DL
Space
Tiki Room is a gazillion trillion times better!
Pirates
ToonTown
Buzz
We have Alice in Wonderland and Indy
Fantasmic
Remember Dreams Come True fireworks are WAY better than Wishes
Walt actually built most of DL and his spirit is there, that makes it more magical

Better at WDW
Tower - only slightly though
Haunted Mansion - slightly
They have Test Track and The Great Movie Ride

bradk
05-02-2006, 09:47 AM
overall, i have to disagree with HL being better at WDW. even though i hear that, i'm never sure why people say it. the new effects (especially Leota) is enough to blow away WDW for me and I also like how you can walk down the hallway at DLR and see some of the effects like the paintings and the busts as opposed to WDW which gets you right on the vehicle and pushes you through all that.

DisneylandForever
05-02-2006, 10:37 AM

I like everything better about WDW's Space Mountain. The music, the queue, the exit queue, the "single row" rockets, it's longer, more drops, everything.

Yes Doug, whatever you do, skip the Tiki Room in WDW! I saw it and died from disgust.

geoffa
05-02-2006, 10:39 AM

Comments?

WDW has Everest - DL does not! WDW has Relections of earth - DL does not. WDW has American Adventure - DL does not. The list goes on. Fantasmic at Orlando caters for a far greater audience - 5,000 to be precise and everyone gets a seat! It wasn't designed to be a picnic viewing area. And if you want the BEST POTC - you need to go to Disneyland Resort Paris. You're comparing apples with oranges my friends.:rolleyes:

geoffa
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
ummm also ... they have 4 PARKS!! and we have.. um... 2 ,, also i would give up riding i'ts a small world for the rest of my life to ride Expedition Everest!!

Rumour is - 2 may become ONE!:~D

nursemelis374
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I am glad DL doesn't have Illuminations as I think it is boring.

DisneylandForever
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
What? "Matterhorn is better than Everest", how can you say that? Materhorn is not even comparable to EE, EE is *FAR* superior if you where to compare the two.... Matterhorn needs to be refurbed, smooth it out, remove the clunkieness of it...

Guess that's where we differ. I love the bumpiness of it. Everest was too smooth for me. EE's turns felt way too long, too. The backwards part was kinda cool, I guess. But to me it was just another roller coaster. Matterhorn is a classic. That's probably why I like it better. Plus I like being able to see either Tomorrowland or Fantasyland every few seconds.

mckygirl99
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Isn't Space at WDW pretty much the Matterhorn inside a building?

It is exactly the same! I couldn't believe how rough it was when I rode it and just plain weird. I was told at WDW it was the same ride as DLR's Matterhorn but I pretty much figured that out already.

DisneylandForever
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I am glad DL doesn't have Illuminations as I think it is boring.

AMEN sister.