PDA

View Full Version : Will Disneyland be slow May 1st?

Ms.Pecks
04-30-2006, 06:06 PM
The impending "strike"by illegal aliens on May 1st is on so what will that do to crowds Will your room be made,who will bus your tables.

twokids
04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Not all people who bus tables or clean rooms are "illegal alliens." I find your question very offensive and ignorant.

barely
04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't think it was her intent to offend.

jennia
04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I think your biggest problem is avoiding traffic from any demonstrations. Predictions are that traffic will be light that day. I've been thinking of sneaking off for a day at DLR Monday!!! :D Too bad DS has a doctor's appointment in the afternoon!

Dexter
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I agree with twokids, the attempt at humor, if that's what it was, was very uncalled for and extremely tacky. If you actually followed the "illegal aliens strike" you'd see that they are calling for hispanic people to stay home and not work that day nor shop to show America how valuable hispanic people are to our economy.

That said, my company actually held a townhall regarding it and is encouraging employees to take a personal day off if they so choose.

aricbell
04-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know about July 4th?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
04-30-2006, 09:30 PM
The strike is not for "illegal aliens" it is an attempt to show how important migrant labor is to the American economy. Will it affect Disneyland, likely, it will depend upon how Disney has informed their employees how it will treat absences tomorrow. My company gave all employees the day off that requested it. Will the park be crowded, that would depend on how many workers taking tomorrow off treat the boycott the way it is intended by the labor leaders.

Elways way
04-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I was wondering how the "strike" would show up at Disneyland as well. I don't think it will be that pronounced. My guess is that most weekday visitors are tourists who have been planning their trips for some time. All of the AP holders who might normally go do not tend to spend as much (no tickets, less souvenirs, more packed snacks, etc) on a daily basis.

Does anybody know how Disney has chosen to respond if people don't show up for work? Have they taken an official stance?

I work with a number of larger dental offices in and around Los Angeles area(as well as Sacramento,San Jose, and Arizona) and they have taken a very aggressive approach. A memo was issued to all staff members on Friday reminding them of the wording in the employee manual (basically if you call in sick....you need a written doctor's note explaining your absence. If you don't have a note.....you don't get to come back to work). Although it wasn't said in plain terms......the message was pretty clear. If people aren't going to show up there is a good chance there wont be a job to come bck to.

Phantom2006
05-01-2006, 12:37 AM
I agree with twokids, the attempt at humor, if that's what it was, was very uncalled for and extremely tacky. If you actually followed the "illegal aliens strike" you'd see that they are calling for hispanic people to stay home and not work that day nor shop to show America how valuable hispanic people are to our economy.

That said, my company actually held a townhall regarding it and is encouraging employees to take a personal day off if they so choose.

Thats it, they are illegal. Sorry.

mckygirl99
05-01-2006, 05:25 AM
I teach in Anaheim and being that most of my children are children of immigrant parents and many work at the DLR, I would say that you may find the parks somewhat affected today. Do not be surprised if near DLR is where many may choose to protest either.

stan4d_steph
05-01-2006, 05:37 AM
If the people striking hold true to the strike, they shouldn't be at DL. The idea of the strike is that they will not work, go to school, or buy or sell anything.

It may affect staffing levels at the park, but I imagine people will be called in to cover shifts as much as possible.

Duchess mermaid
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm confused... Is the strike for immigrants or illegal immigrants or both? As far as i knew this was supposed to be people who are not legal american citizens. not including american-mexicans. right?

Shadowcat
05-01-2006, 08:18 AM
According to MSNBC:

"Illegal immigrants and their allies gathered Monday for marches, prayers and demonstrations on a planned national day of economic protest, boycotting work, school and shopping to show their importance to the country."

So the focus is on "illegal" immigrants, not immigrants who have followed proper channels to work in the country. My opinion is if a person wants to work in the U.S., that's fine, as long as they go through the proper channels. I'm not prejuduce or racist in any way, so people's races don't make me pass any judgement. It's just that people that take the shortcut to work here are hurting other immigrants that actually put the affort in to work here legally.

Duchess mermaid
05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
According to MSNBC:

"Illegal immigrants and their allies gathered Monday for marches, prayers and demonstrations on a planned national day of economic protest, boycotting work, school and shopping to show their importance to the country."

So the focus is on "illegal" immigrants, not immigrants who have followed proper channels to work in the country. My opinion is if a person wants to work in the U.S., that's fine, as long as they go through the proper channels. I'm not prejuduce or racist in any way, so people's races don't make me pass any judgement. It's just that people that take the shortcut to work here are hurting other immigrants that actually put the affort in to work here legally.

I agree. If you want to stay and work here then do it... legally.

hefferdude
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm sure to get flamed by someone for this.

I hope that all of DLR is does well Monday May 1. I was going to go to the Angels / As game and DLR today but came to work in solidarity to all who chose to work instead. Whoever does not agree, be sure to vote.

I fully understand the complexity of mixed families native born or not but the risks were probably understood before crossing the border. The real rpoblem are the conditions and policies of Mexico itself.

I am also disheartened by people who equate Dr. Martin Luther King's work and the Civil Rights Movement with what is occuring today. The immense and quantifiable suffering of Black America at the hands of slavery is absolute quantums beyond the reasons for the event today.

A few other points why I am hesitant to become to excited about the protest.

1.I was a victim of SSN identity theft at the hands of an illegal working in the LA area - leaving me with unpaid taxes - jeopardizing my job security - jeopardizing my family.
2.My co-worker is going through legal channels to bring some of his family here from Viet Nam – not an easy task – but legally by the book.
3.The Senate was about to pass their version of reform but allowed it to die in committee as the May 1 protest timing was a too perfect a PR piece to embarrass the Republicans. The House bill which largely generated this
miasma doesn’t have a prayer of making law anyway.
4.The issue is really that the United States should be a country where the Rule of Law should prevail.
5.I have not heard a discernable unified message from the protesting community and the “illegal” moniker is not solely Hispanic.

Have a great day at Disneyland Resort!

stan4d_steph
05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
FYI, if you want to share your opinions on illegal immigration, there's a thread in the Lounge.

Frogberto
05-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm sure to get flamed by someone for this.

...The real rpoblem are the conditions and policies of Mexico itself. ...1.I was a victim of SSN identity theft at the hands of an illegal working in the LA area - leaving me with unpaid taxes - jeopardizing my job security - jeopardizing my family. 2.My co-worker is going through legal channels to bring some of his family here from Viet Nam – not an easy task – but legally by the book.
3.The Senate was about to pass their version of reform but allowed it to die in committee as the May 1 protest timing was a too perfect a PR piece to embarrass the Republicans. The House bill which largely generated this
miasma doesn’t have a prayer of making law anyway.
4.The issue is really that the United States should be a country where the Rule of Law should prevail.
5.I have not heard a discernable unified message from the protesting community and the “illegal” moniker is not solely Hispanic.

Yes, I'll be happy to flame you for your ignorant, and racist, remarks. The conditions and policies of Mexico have little to do with the influx. Mexico is subject to a caste system, and those outside of Mexico City or areas of tourism with seek work elsewhere. The difference is not between "Mexican" and "American", but between income levels.

A similar situation existed in the 1920s and 1930s in this country, where both Asians and Latin Americans, as well as poor white folk, moved wherever there was work. How can one see pictures of the dustbowl and current farmworkers and not see a similarity? It was routine for people of Chinese and Japanese ancestry to "sneak into" the country for work purposes, and it was tolerated, as the hard work added to the economy of the time.

The Vietnam example you bring up is Exhibit A of your ignorance. Do you not remember the tens of thousands of illegal "boat people" that sailed to the Western shores of America, and all entered illegally, as refugees, in the 1970s and early 1980s? Our government made a decision to grant political asylum rather than ship them back, but they all entered in violation of the rule of law.

Just because a second generation Viet uses legal channels (as over 95% of second generation latin american immigrants does) doesn't make the original entry legal. The fact is, it's easier, and less risk, to use legal channels, where legal channels exist. What persons who are protesting are asking for here, is again for dispensation of the government to fix this problem, even if temporarily. A guest worker program, and asylum, just as was granted to the Vietnamese immigrants, would be a program that should be, and would be, supported by both sides.

Returning to the point of this thread, however, Disneyland shouldn't be affected, and the "walkouts" expected, didn't seem to materialize:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1125372.php

adriennek
05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Moderator reminder #2 (#1 being the second post above mine): If you would like to discuss the politics of May 1, please take it to the Lounge.

Otherwise, this thread will either be moved to the Lounge or closed.

Adrienne

pretty Omi
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
so, anyone actually go today to see how it was affected? i saw that my town was affected as i went to two different McDonald's today and found them both closed....

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
My husbands nice uncle the DL CM, said as far as he could see most of his fellow CM's at the turnstiles had shown up and he thought the crowds were fairly typical for a monday in May.

SoCalDude
05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
If the people striking hold true to the strike, they shouldn't be at DL. The idea of the strike is that they will not work, go to school, or buy or sell anything.

heh - the first thing that came to mind when I read that was "well, they can still do all that and go to the park if they are an AP holder" :fez: Gotta love loopholes :p

hefferdude
05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, I'll be happy to flame you for your ignorant, and racist, remarks.

Well, I was right about getting flamed. :rolleyes:

Moderator reminder #2 (#1 being the second post above mine): If you would like to discuss the politics of May 1, please take it to the Lounge.

Otherwise, this thread will either be moved to the Lounge or closed.

Adrienne

Thankyou, moderator.

I voluntarily move my response to the appropriate post in the lounge.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=55096