PDA

View Full Version : Well-stocked Backpack

Pages : [1] 2

barely
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Our trip to DL is not until September but I think I may have planning fever :) . I would appreciate any input regarding what a well-stocked DL backpack would contain (and I DO mean well-stocked). This would be the ultimate backpack to take for a wonderful day at The Happiest Place On Earth!

Tinker Bell
04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Bottle water ;wippies ; trail mix ; poncho

stan4d_steph
04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
iPod
cell phone
grappling hook
night-vision goggles

Tinker Bell
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Lol

kimmybear
04-27-2006, 08:27 PM
water, mini first aid kit, snacks, money, camera, batteries, ID, money, etc. :D

SandraVB79
04-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Sandra's backpack:

(ok, I'll first describe how I start my day at DL: I wear pants, a polo shirt and sometimes sweater if it's chilly. I start the day with "real" shoes or sneakers (i.e., no sandals)

In the backpack:

- tank top
- sandals
(I change clothes around 11 am, when it gets warmer, and then change back again in the evening before/ after Fantasmic, depending how chilly it gets. I also don't like to go on the waterrides wearing non-sandals)
- little towel
- water
- some snacks
- sun lotion
- picture camera, video camera (yes, it ALL goes in the backpack!)
- tons of batteries for camera
- sun lotion
- some "first aid" items (i.e. bandaids against blisters, and something against insect bites)
- MONEY (lots of it...)
- pens, some paper, ...

It all fits in my standard black backpack you might have seen on my pictures. If I go with my mom, there are clothes for two people in it, but she doesn't take another pair of shoes.

The backpack I have is quiet waterproof, and I put all the items first in a plastic bag (well, not each item separately, but in little "groups") and that makes sure I can take it with me on GRR and so. It also makes sure everything stays more or less in the same spot in the backpack, so it's easier to carry around (no water bottle pushing in my back or so...)

Do expect some weird looks at bag check though... :rolleyes:

Vegitabeta
04-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Wow, I carry nothing! My mom keeps my money in her bag for me and that's it! Well, I carry a bottle of water when I get one.

04-28-2006, 05:16 AM
My mom keeps my money in her bag

And we have a winner! Just buy stuff as you go.

hlbtimes2
04-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Even with two children (4 and 7) we carry very little. We wear jackets and put them in a locker. Sometimes we bring some bottled water. I used to think I needed things like wipes for their hands, kleenex, bandaids, etc. I've since decided its a pain to pack all that around. There bathrooms everywhere for hand/ wash washing and nose blowing. First aid will give you a bandaid if you need one.

Oh, suntan lotion. We bring that with us if its warm.

Rhiannon8404
04-28-2006, 06:23 AM
We're minimalists. If I'm even taking a purse, it's just a small across the shoulders thing to hold money, lip balm, extra hairband, etc. My husband and son usually try to wear cargo shorts with big pockets to carry what they need. We tend to make use of the lockers and we don't buy stuff we'd have to carry until we're on our way back to the hotel (which is actually a good rule for us as it keeps down impulse purchases).

FMTX
04-28-2006, 07:00 AM
We used http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/forgot.htm for our packing lists. It is for WDW, but is similar to what you need at DL. We would do two packs. A big one with everything to store in a big locker in the park that we would rent first thing after we got there than a smaller one that we carried around with us. If you stay on-property or walking distance to the park at DL, you will not need a big pack with everything as it is easy to go back to the room in short order.

Crazy4DL
04-28-2006, 07:32 AM
I am with the carrying almost nothing crowd! I do bring a digital camera and just use the camera carry case to stick a credit/debit card, ID, tickets, and a bit of cash in. That is it! Enough work just carrying myself around the park. ;)

twist1980
04-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I always carry band-aids and those little blister things as I usually end up with a blister at some point in my trip! Having stuff on hand is a lifesaver!

Otherwise:
Digital Camera
EXTRA BATTERIES! They are really expensive in the park
Sunscreen
Chapstick
Extra ponytail holders
Sunglasses
Water bottle
Ibuprofen (or other pain reliever)
Debit card, cash, ID
Park ticket! ;)

I actually usually carry a smaller backpack as that is all I need to hold the few small things that I carry!

04-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Has anyone mentioned hand sanitizer?

ralfrick
04-28-2006, 08:29 AM
I went the opposite at WDW last year. My shorts had 2 front pockets on both left and right which held phone, camera, glasses and smokes. The zipper pocket had change. I had a Passporter neck pouch clipped to a belt loop with cash, ID, CC, AAA, DL, room key, tickets and FPs, although those could have easily gone into a back pocket. Car keys were clipped to the belt loop, too. My water bottle hung from my neck. I NEVER felt that I was missing anything.

Cheers.

raych30
04-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Another one for the "carrying almost nothing" group :D I hate carrying backpacks, let alone stuffed to the gills backpacks. No thanks. If it can't fit in my jeans pockets, it's not going with me. (I do make my husband carry the digital camera) Other than that we pretty much wing it while we are there.

SandraVB79
04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
OK, so in case you see someone carrying around a lot, it's me :rolleyes:

Bolivar
04-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I carry a wallet with a visa card in my pocket and a cell phone clipped to my belt. That is the extent of what I carry. I have a well stocked hotel room five minutes away.

Koala Gurl
04-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I am more of a buy as you go person too, so I go minimal (if it fits in my pockets, great!)

Otherwise, my strategy now that I bring DD (1 yr) is to have 2 bags packed...a minimal one w/ stuff we definitely need during the day and a "nighttime" one that we leave in a locker.

Oh, and I am like you...I would be planning now for a trip in Sept. too! ;)

hg0079
04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
We will do the locker and stash stuff for night time in there

for day time it's my backpack purse that can hold my $ (in an zipped inner pocket, not in a removeable wallet) camera, phone, sunglasses, small tissues, small sunscreen, mints, gum, "scene it" disney trivia cards (for the lines) disneyland map and a waterbottle, small sanatizer and that is it.

anything else is buy as you go and I always over pack and than don't need it. I usually take my "nanny bag" everywhere on outings but not disneyland.

DianeM
04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Keep it simple. Backpacks get pretty heavy after a day running around the park. I carry water, my wallet, aspirin/motrin, anti-gas pills, a hair brush, mokeskin (in case of blisters), a digital camera, my cell phone, a plastic bag to put around the pack on water rides, sunglasses. I like to leave room in the backpack for purchases, so we don't have to carry too much. And my husband and I share one pack - that way we alternate carrying it and don't end up so tired.

Our trip to DL is not until September but I think I may have planning fever :) . I would appreciate any input regarding what a well-stocked DL backpack would contain (and I DO mean well-stocked). This would be the ultimate backpack to take for a wonderful day at The Happiest Place On Earth!

simbaNnala101
04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I would say to pack
Sun block/tan lotion
Camera/or camcorder
batteries
autograph book
pen
sanitizer
water
a snack of some sort
cell phone
sunglasses (extra in case brook or lost on rides)
bandaids or a first aid kit of some sort
A small compact brush (you can buy some in the park) and a hair thing for girls when it gets hot or you get off of a water ride.
Playing cards (long line)

I would aslo dress heavier when entering the park and leave enough room in my back pack to put my over shirt or sweatshirt in my backpack for when it gets warmer.

In my landyard I alwats put the money I think that I will need for the day, my ticket in to the park and my idea and any other cards you might need so that i have it around my neck and I know where it is. It also will eliminate the space that a wallet would take up in the asback pack.

Hope that helps

~Ash~

Shinku
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Going with kids, I recently learned as the stand in mom, requires an entirely different backpack than going with adults.

Trip with the adults backpack:
-Hand sanitizer
-Digicam and spare batteries
-Hoodies/jackets
-Wallet
-Sunglasses
-Cell phone
-Water bottle

Trip with the kids backpack:
-Gallon sized ziplock bags to quarentine god-only-knows-what so it doesn't touch other things in the backpack
-4x the hand sanitizer that I'd bring for the adults (LOL!)
-Everything else on the adults' list
-Asprin for me, kids pain relever for them
-Sharpie marker to mark whose what is whose
-Money to rent a locker to throw everyone's jackets in (two jackets? fit perfectly in my backpack. Six jackets? Not so much)
-Sunblock because I'm constantly reapplying it onto sweaty kids who, in turn, sweat it right back off :rolleyes:
-Snacks that are easilly shareable, and don't suffer if they get crushed (trail mix or granola is good for this)
-Bandaids
-Hairbrush/hairties
-Looooots of patience. Lots.

CariBelle
04-28-2006, 03:46 PM
I carry a messanger style purse and it has:
-wallet
-emergency sugar packets
-chapstick
-first aid bag (band aids, antacid, advil, pepto tablets, hand sanitizer, eye drops, mini sun screen, nail file)
-camera
-Shout wipes
-baggy of pennies and quarters for the penny press
-cell phone
-PSP
-and just enough room left over to shove a track jacket in

DianeM
04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
I always forget sunscreen. You can buy it at the Main Street Emporium. Right at the center register. I think I still have some left from the last bottle I bought.

I forgot something else - a change purse with pre-1982 pennies and plenty of quarters for the penny press machines, and a recent list of the machine locations from parkpennies.com.

Sun block/tan lotion

~Ash~