PDA

View Full Version : Mary Poppins

Pages : [1] 2

hg0079
04-27-2006, 08:07 AM
In Danger Mouse's montage I saw pictures of Mary Poppins

Anyone know where she usually can be found?

As a nanny and operator of a nanny information website I would love to get that picture with her!

Malcon10t
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
In Danger Mouse's montage I saw pictures of Mary Poppins

Anyone know where she usually can be found?

As a nanny and operator of a nanny information website I would love to get that picture with her!I generally see her in front of the Plaza Inn.

mommy-san
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
When we were there Mary Poppins was always right around the hub at around 11:00. But we could NOT get her autograph. My 5 year old followed her for quite awhile, asked politely and was ignored. Finally I said something to the guy at the pretzel cart and he called after Bert and Mary Poppins to get them to come back. We still didn't get a picture or autograph... Mary said something about how they would rather (insert snotty tone here) "interact with the small children" after which she pushed the autograph book away. Yep, I was bitter and disappointed. Hope you have better luck.

stan4d_steph
04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
When you arrive at DL, make a stop at City Hall to inquire where Mary might make an appearance that day.

04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
We saw Mary and Bert riding the carousel!

Duchess mermaid
04-27-2006, 08:44 AM
When we were there Mary Poppins was always right around the hub at around 11:00. But we could NOT get her autograph. My 5 year old followed her for quite awhile, asked politely and was ignored. Finally I said something to the guy at the pretzel cart and he called after Bert and Mary Poppins to get them to come back. We still didn't get a picture or autograph... Mary said something about how they would rather (insert snotty tone here) "interact with the small children" after which she pushed the autograph book away. Yep, I was bitter and disappointed. Hope you have better luck.

Your son was 5 and she thought he was to old for her? how strange. It must not have been the real Mary Poppins as she would never do such a thing. It must have been someone dressing up and acting like her!!!

disneyochem
04-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Mary Poppins is my absolutely favorite character! I grew up on the movie. I always find Mary when I visit the park. I'm surprised that she was not friendly to your child---all the "Marys" that I have interacted with were great (and it has been a lot throughout the years).

I have found her in Fantasyland (on the carousel, in the hub there), Main Street, on Mark Twain and at Goofy's Kitchen. Good luck. I do stop by City Hall and ask for her. Then it is a hunt! My girls know that Mommy's trip is not complete without a Mary Poppins pic!

T-RAT
04-27-2006, 08:55 AM
We've gotten pictures with her in front of the Fire station on 3 different trips!

olegc
04-27-2006, 09:04 AM
the city hall point above is your best bet for day to day - but she has been spotted in Town Square on Main street, in front of Plaza Inn, and in Fantasyland near the golden horse for photos. Many times in Fantasyland you will find that a penguin has joined her and Bert.

Another Dimension
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Seen Mary Poppins in Town Square, and near the entrance to Plaza Inn (with a PENGUIN!), and near Plaza Gardens (with Burt dressed as a Chimney Sweep .. they were singing & dancing to Step in Time) and seen her near the King Arthur Caroussel in the morning...

City Hall is a good suggestion for tracking her down... :)

Niwel
04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Seen Mary Poppins ....near the King Arthur Caroussel in the morning...

I've said it once and I'll say it again -- they should rename the Carousel Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday Carousel. :D So we can take a trip with our favorite nanny whever we want!

hg0079
04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh, it is my mission to find her!....after all I am a real life Mary Poppins...ok not really, I drive a car not an umbrella!

As I am "auntie the 5th wheel" on this trip I said there is only one thing I really wanna do, and when I figure it out I will let you know....NOW I KNOW...TO GO ON A MARY POPPINS HUNT!

And for the mean MP, maybe she needs a spoon full of sugar!

MermaidHair
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
When I was at DL in March we had a unique Mary Poppins encounter. We had not seen her anywhere in the park. On our second evening there I got quite sick. I was not sure what I had at first so I went to first aid. Well, since mommy was not doing well my kids (2 and 5) got quite nervous. To ease their tension the wonderful nurses at first aid went and got Mary Poppins to sit with my kids while they took care of me. She hung out for about 15 minutes chatting, signing autographs and taking pics. She also found time to remind the kids about helping out at home, keeping their room tidy and following Mommy and Daddy's rules. It was a magical experience having the original Supernanny sit with my kids! :D I only wish we had thought to close the bathroom door they were standing in front of when DH took the pictures! :p

snowsbeau
04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I am shocked that dear Miss Poppins was in any way rude. Sadly, everyone has there bad days. About a month a go my nephew and I saw Mary and Bert at the Carnation Bandstand. They were sitting with children drawing pictures. Mary did make it quite clear that she and Bert were there to visit with the children. So basically they only spoke with and interacted with the children. My nephew was in awe because our Mary was dead on. She really was the best one that I have seen in the past 10 years! Kudos to her for perpetuating the fantasy. Ms. Andrews-Edwards would have been proud. But I'm sure that is why she was cast.
As we left Mary and Bert I suggested to my nephew that we go and see if we could find a kite to fly or get a raspberry ice. Mary heard this and gave me a smile and wink adding, "Spit Spot, your won't find a kite mulling around here." Just magical. :D

disneyochem
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I am shocked that dear Miss Poppins was in any way rude. Sadly, everyone has there bad days. About a month a go my nephew and I saw Mary and Bert at the Carnation Bandstand. They were sitting with children drawing pictures. Mary did make it quite clear that she and Bert were there to visit with the children. So basically they only spoke with and interacted with the children. My nephew was in awe because our Mary was dead on. She really was the best one that I have seen in the past 10 years! Kudos to her for perpetuating the fantasy. Ms. Andrews-Edwards would have been proud. But I'm sure that is why she was cast.
As we left Mary and Bert I suggested to my nephew that we go and see if we could find a kite to fly or get a raspberry ice. Mary heard this and gave me a smile and wink adding, "Spit Spot, your won't find a kite mulling around here." Just magical. :D

Oh, is it any wonder that the practically perfect in every way Mary Poppins is the best!!!?!?! One time at Goofy's Kitchen, Mary removed a brownie from my little one's plate reminding her that she needed to her veggies first, then dessert! The look on my kid's face was priceless--even better, for days afterwards, she insisted she had to eat veggies because Mary Poppins wanted it so!

Tinker Bell
04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
My DD is 3yr and Mary would not sign her book or pose with her. They did do a big group photo with all the kids in the area. I was not the only Parent who was not happy. My DD loves her sign book and looks in it all the time We are trying to get all the char to sign in it. One for each Char. We also had a hard time getting a goofy to stop and sign her book followed him all around the train station and around the hub he stoped for everyone but us tell I was begging him to stop. My kid is 3yr and she loves DL.

Niwel
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a case of the P.L. Travers Mary vs. the Walt Disney Mary ;)

snowsbeau
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Sounds like a case of the P.L. Travers Mary vs. the Walt Disney Mary ;)

You may have something to that. I am a champion of reading and starting it at a young age. Getting my nieces and nephews to pick up a book isn't always easy. I'm known as the Uncle that gives books as gifts. But I cheat, I give them the original versions of beloved Disney products. They are usually amazed by the differences to the original stories. One niece was annoyed when I gave her a copy of the Mary Poppins book a few years ago for Christmas. But after reading it she was grateful and but a little sad. Even at 8 years old she could see that Disney softened the author, P.L Travers' Mary considerably.

socaltexan02
04-27-2006, 01:39 PM
When my 3 yr. old did the Junior Chef's cookie baking recently, Bert and Mary stopped by and baked the cookies with them. They also chatted w/ the kids, were very friendly (we told Mary that my daughter is a BIG fan and knows all her songs...she grabbed her hand and started singing and stepping to "It's a Jolly Holiday" together). We got pictures, but DD didn't have an autograph book so I can't speak to that. Our encouter w/ Mary was quite delightful!

amarvel
04-27-2006, 03:18 PM
"interact with the small children"

this sounds horrible, the characters shouldn't say things like this, and plus your son was 5??? This happened to dh and I back in 1999 when we were 19, a character was kinda mean about our age, wrote that we were too old in my dh's autograph book under his autograph, so we went to city hall and reported him, the character was removed (did feel bad about that) and we got compensated with 2 front of the line tickets each, a brand new idea book and pen and some other coupons and such.

as far as the original topic...i have seen mary twice by the opera house and then last year her and bert were over on the frontierland side of the castle kinda hidden away, not on the bridge, but more over by the stage area....

BQ2
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
We saw Mary and Bert riding the carousel!

One of my favorite Disneyland memories happened while waiting for the carousel with our son them 3 yo. Around comes Mary Poppins on a White horse. WoW

BQ2

ministrychick77
04-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Many times in Fantasyland you will find that a penguin has joined her and Bert.

there's a penguin you can take pictures with?!?!?!? :eek: OMG i MUST do that on my next trip there. i *love* penguins (they're just so adorable), and the penguins are the only reason i'll even watch mary poppins....

where do you find them???? :eek: :D :eek:

Another Dimension
04-27-2006, 10:42 PM
This happened to dh and I back in 1999 when we were 19, a character was kinda mean about our age, wrote that we were too old in my dh's autograph book under his autograph

Cruella de Vil makes fun of people who are older or aren't kids.
When asked to sign a book of a teenager or adult she looks at them strangely and then them asks really sarcastically "HOW OLD ARE YOU?!?" and then sneers before she signs.. but with Cruella, it's hilarious.

It's (supposed to be) a Jolly Holiday with Mary.....

I don't think Poppins or any Disney character should ever turn away any kid or any Guest... or refuse to sign their autograph book (unless their onstage time is up or it's 110 in July).

She's Mary Poppins... yeah.. but she's not Mickey Mouse.. and Mickey is always wonderful with everyone!

Even the horribly evil, wicked, deadly and murderous Villains sign autographs for all ages..

There is no excuse for that crass & snooty behavior Mary Poppins... remember who you are, know your role and act proper!! :eek:

Rhiannon8404
04-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Mary was great with my 7yo son last fall. She pretended to scold him for having messy hair and a ketchup stain on his shirt. It was very cute.

I agree that the characters are not there just for children. They should be just as kind and friendly to any person, of any age who approaches them. Especially if they've waited in line to see them. Unless, of course the are Cruella or the Evil Queen or someone, then they should be mean. ;)

Raven
04-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I was there in March with my brother and my nieces and nephew. My niece (6 yrs old) and I were walking by the Photo Place at the end of main street (near where the corn dog cart is) and we were going towards main street. My niece says, "There's Mary Poppins" and ran over to her and the penguin. Mary was leaving to go on break and she stopped to talk to my niece, commented on her monkey she had bought in Adventureland and then stopped to pose for a picture as she was walking out. Nicest Mary Poppins I have ever seen!