PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Personalized Coin?

Pages : [1] 2

mkcbunny
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Last night, someone was telling me that there was once a machine near PotC where one could custom-stamp a fake dubloon. I don't recall seeing this machine, but he hadn't been there for 10 years. Anyone know anything about this? I assume it's gone, but it'd be cool if it were still there somewhere. Thanks.

simbaNnala101
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Well I know that there is a machine in pieces of eight that takes pennies and smashes them into pirate pictures however I do not recall being able to smash a coin to look like a dubloon. I think he might have been talking about that machine.

mkcbunny
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Well I know that there is a machine in pieces of eight that takes pennies and smashes them into pirate pictures however I do not recall being able to smash a coin to look like a dubloon. I think he might have been talking about that machine.
It wasn't a pressed penny machine.

It was a machine where you could mechanically spell out a word(s)/name and have it imprinted on a "coin." Presumably, it also had Pirates/Disney imagery, but the gimmick to it was that you could put your name or phrase on it. My friend has one that says something like "Stan and Jane," but he couldn't find it to show me.

cstephens
04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Do they even have those any more? I don't think I recall seeing one recently, but I haven't been on the lookout. Those things broke down *constantly*.

(from someone who has several of those "pieces of eight")

littlebugg
04-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes, Yes !!! My brother and I would each make one every trip to DL growing up. I had forgotten about that until now. If I remember correctly the machine was in the store by POTC exit, and I think it was like a label maker type of pressing function going on in there because I remember a dial on the front that would spin like a safe dial. I might be wrong but I'm going to look for it when were down there in two weeks.
Thanks for reminding me about that !! :)

Osky
04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
That machine was taken out a loooooong time ago... :crying:

mkcbunny
04-24-2006, 10:08 PM
That machine was taken out a loooooong time ago... :crying:
That's what I thought. I was hoping to be wrong, but having checked every pressed-penny machine, I was pretty sure I'd have spotted this thing. Any idea when it was hauled offstage?

Osky
04-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Not sure exactly, but 1998 would be my best guess.

pretty Omi
04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
there's still one in the candy shop on mainstreet, in the area where you can sit still in the candy shop next to Coke Corner... not a dubloon but it's some type of coin... my sis does one every so often

Andrew
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
(from someone who has several of those "pieces of eight")
I have one on my keychain and have for many years. It was instrumental in my team winning addQuest II... :D

cstephens
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
I have one on my keychain and have for many years. It was instrumental in my team winning addQuest II... :D

Isn't it heavy on a keychain?

twist1980
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
I have one too! The date on it is 1991! I really wish they would bring it back, I would love an updated one! I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it for you guys!

Andrew
04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Isn't it heavy on a keychain?
It's a small percentage of the total weight, so not really.

stan4d_steph
04-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I have one that was given to me; it has some very un-Disney words on it.

simbaNnala101
04-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I think the machine that you are talking about is in the pennie arcade on main street. there is also another one in the store with all of the cowboy stuff in frontireland. However pieces of eight has pennies that are smashed with micky and goofy as pirates.

~Ash~

hg0079
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I think the machine that you are talking about is in the pennie arcade on main street. there is also another one in the store with all of the cowboy stuff in frontireland. However pieces of eight has pennies that are smashed with micky and goofy as pirates.

~Ash~

no it is a machine that is long gone

kimmybear
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
kinda off topic, but i thought you guys might be able to answer this: how many smashed penny machines are in the park?

jetkitten
04-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Well I think I did one of the last dubloons in 2001. It might have been early 2002 but I know that it was around then because I made it for my nephew when we were first going to disneyland. I currently have four pressed penny books with nothing but Disneyland (two knotts and one six flags). And I know there's more out there that I haven't gotten yet that are in the park right now. I do have all the 50th celebration pennies. cool huh.

outlaw8
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
kinda off topic, but i thought you guys might be able to answer this: how many smashed penny machines are in the park?
You can check this site....They are pretty updated on all the machines....
http://www.liss.olm.net/ec/disney/

mkcbunny
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I have one that was given to me; it has some very un-Disney words on it.
LOL, apart from the reports that the thing was always breaking, this is why I thought maybe they got rid of it. Would Disney really want park-branded souveniers out there with naught phrases and bad words on them? Then again, if they could charge $2, sure ...

RemainSeatedPlease
04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
I always got one every time I went with the date on it....I really liked the ruddy thing!

SoCalDude
04-26-2006, 11:54 AM

check out http://www.parkpennies.com/ - they have a full list updated really the same day new ones come out.

snowsbeau
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
WOW! Talk about the good ole days! I have one of those pieces of eight personalized coins. The was great to spin the dial and say anything that you wanted to on it. I just came across it around Christmas cleaning out a closet. I very popular with that on my key chain in junior high. I amy have to add it back on.
:D

olegc
04-27-2006, 03:41 PM
OK - so I finally found a reference to the "piece of eight" coin you would stamp with a phrase - along with a photo.

Go here... - http://www.mouseplanet.com/magicyears/MYJ010404.htm

Tinker Bell
04-27-2006, 04:13 PM
WOW I just bought one of those in a thrift store. Had no idea what is was just thought it was cool looking and with the movie coming out. The person that got this did not put any writing on it. Now it is even more of a find for me.

I took a pix of them.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/TinkerBellpix/863e8c02.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/TinkerBellpix/CIMG1727.jpg